Piecing Together Turbo Kit, thoughts? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Piecing Together Turbo Kit, thoughts?

FLAME SUIT ON

Putting together a parts list (mostly ebay for budget build), and using this link for instructions on turbo'ing my civic.

1994 Civic LX
JDM d15b7-ish
Auto

Turbo Parts List for D15b7:
Turbo Kit Link - ~$600
Walboro 255 – Ebay Link - $84
DSM Blue – Ebay Link - $224
Seals and O-Rings – Ebay Link - $18
Oil drain/feed lines - Ebay Link - $65
Vacuum Manifold - Ebay Link - $41

1. Turbocharger: T3/T4 - Kit

2. Exhaust Manifold: Cast - Kit

3. Downpipe: 5-bolt Flex pipe - Kit

4. Wastegate: 38mm External - Kit

5. Intercooler: Front-Mount – Kit

6. Blow off valve: Generic w/2.5” adapter - Kit

7. Fuel Management:
8. Fuel Pump : Walboro 255 – Ebay Link - $84

9. Injectors : DSM Blue – Ebay Link - $224

a. Seals and O-Rings – Ebay Link - $18
10. Map Sensor: up to 10.5psi – no upgrade needed
11. Intercooler Piping: Generic - Kit

12. Couplers/t-bolts: Comes with Kit

13. Oil drain/feed lines & Filter sandwich adapter: Ebay Link - $65

14. Vacuum Manifold: Ebay Link - $41

15. Gauges: boost/oil pressure highly recommened
16. Spark plugs: two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too

Thoughts so far?

Still looking for chipped ECU for my auto sohc non-vtec motor. After reading through the tutorial on installing a turbo, i think I have most of the stuff I need in this list...?

I know I may need to fab and adjust some of the IC piping, etc...
- planning on turbo in a year or so
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jake-bit; 02-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Jake-bit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Thought so far? Should swap to a 5 spd first or this is a waste in my eyes. Its your whip though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I thought about it....the JDM motor I purchased was a 5spd, but just stuck with the auto, because I didn't want to do much fab'ing. But I'd like to run auto until it breaks, I guess.

This is a DD (though I have other DD options) and it'd be great to stay auto, and just have a bit more fun.

Also, forgot HP my goals:

175-200whp.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enough

No auto.

Go with stealthmode performance for the oil line kit. The cheap ebay ones are worthless. You can get away without the vacuum manifold. The fuel pump is good insurance, but unnecessary at your power level.

Just know the downpipe will require A LOT of work to fit your car. I don't think I've read a single story of someone having the dp bolt right up. Also the intercooler piping will require quite of bit of creativity to work as well. I would go with a Go Autoworks kit if I had to do it again. It will fit better, and be better quality.

Edit: Those injectors are expensive for DSMs. I would go with injector dynamics if you're going to spend that much. I got rebuilt ones(DSMs) with the orings already for ~$150.

Last edited by bradg; 02-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Lise the auto. Your have a headache tuning n finding management for it.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg
Go with stealthmode performance for the oil line kit. The cheap ebay ones are worthless. You can get away without the vacuum manifold. The fuel pump is good insurance, but unnecessary at your power level.

Just know the downpipe will require A LOT of work to fit your car. I don't think I've read a single story of someone having the dp bolt right up. Also the intercooler piping will require quite of bit of creativity to work as well. I would go with a Go Autoworks kit if I had to do it again. It will fit better, and be better quality.

Edit: Those injectors are expensive for DSMs. I would go with injector dynamics if you're going to spend that much. I got rebuilt ones(DSMs) with the orings already for ~$150
So these oil lines?

stealthmode//performance Oil Line Kit

I may drop the vaccuum mani to save costs, thx.

Should I get a lower pressure Walboro? I wanted to use it, and just in case I do a motor swap/built motor in the future, I though it would be good to have one.

I'd love to go with Go Autoworks Kit, but at a $2000 pricetag just for the kit, it's a bit high. I'm looking at staying at or below $1500-$1800 total w/tune.

You have a link to where I can get used injectors with orings for that price?

Last edited by Jake-bit; 02-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Lise the auto. Your have a headache tuning n finding management for it.
I've had a tough time finding an ecu for it already. I'd love to keep it though if possible. Can I mod/chip my current ECU? Sorry, I actually haven't done much research on the ECU/Fuel management side of things yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 DreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to DreaMer

lol jdm d15b7? to answer your question though, to keep auto and use a standalone ECU you'll be buying a AEM standalone. Otherwise your stuck with a FMU.

DreaMer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I stand by my post. If you swap it the overall cost is less then if you keep it auto. Look around at auto to manual swaps and make sure you still wanna keep it.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaMer View Post
lol jdm d15b7? to answer your question though, to keep auto and use a standalone ECU you'll be buying a AEM standalone. Otherwise your stuck with a FMU.
Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on FMU.

Yea, I haven't seen the engine stamp, but it was labeled d15b on the papers.

So maybe this motor (info from Wikipedia):

D15B
Found in: 1988 Honda CRX 1.5X (rare)
1990 Honda Civic 25XXT Formula (Japanese Market)
Honda Civic Ferio MX (Japanese Market) EG8
1998–2001 Honda Capa GA4 (Japanese Market) Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 84.5 mm (3.0 3.33 in)
Compression : 9.2:1
Power : 103 hp (77.23 kW, 105 PS) at 6,800 rpm
Torque : 14.1 kgm (133.4 Nm) at 5,200 rpm
Rev limiter : 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control : Twin carburetor/fuel injected

Out of the box, it was Carbeurated/5spd.
I swapped it info my Fuel Injected/Auto Civic LX.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I stand by my post. If you swap it the overall cost is less then if you keep it auto. Look around at auto to manual swaps and make sure you still wanna keep it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do some more research. I'm hoping it's not too labor-intensive .

But if I'm going turbo, it's going to take some elbow grease anyways, so I might as well do the 5spd swap at the same time, I guess... I'll look into it.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Converting to a 5 spd ain't that hard holmes, do and ittle be well worth the time and money
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Converting to a 5 spd ain't that hard holmes, do and ittle be well worth the time and money
This Thread is a little bit intimidating, but I'll need to weigh the cost/benefit of doing this. Seems like I need to gather quite a few parts...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Take your time gather all your parts and I promise ittle pay off in the end. That thread makes it seem harder than it really is. The junkyard is gonna be your best friend, building an autotragic is a waste of time when it comes to hondas.

But your money your time so best wishes on your journey
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Take your time gather all your parts and I promise ittle pay off in the end. That thread makes it seem harder than it really is. The junkyard is gonna be your best friend, building an autotragic is a waste of time when it comes to hondas.

But your money your time so best wishes on your journey
I do appreciate all the feedback. You guys are the experts, so I'll take it from the seasoned veterans and look into/plan on piecing together a 5spd swap along with boost.

I've got access to a garage, tools, and siblings who are great at fab'ing/welding and everything cars. I can't even start to piece together the kit until 2013 or so, so I'll continue to research and put together a wish list. Again, I hope to keep it below $2000 w/tune, so maybe I can find some better deals on Turbo/Injectors/ECU and parts to piece this together.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Crossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunnaCrossinteg is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-bit View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on FMU.
I will save you the troubles,
They suck

Crossinteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

definatelly a 5 speed swap, im currently about to do the 5 speed swap on my car. Engine management for automatic is just not really there like said previously the fmu is a terrible idea and i wouldnt trust it ive heard bad stories and a complete ems system is way too much money so it is cost effective to do the manual swap. Get a 5 speed trans from a civic ex so you get the shorter gears which will help a lot with acceleration. There are a lot of other little parts and bolts to do the swap so its probably best to find a junkyard where you can unbolt the parts you need and save the bolts. Then a chipped ecu with a stock basemap for your engine to drive while you collect all the parts for your turbo setup, then install your turbo kit and your ready to tune.
brendizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enough

Heres some good dsms if you really want to go that way. It includes the required resistor box as well.

For just a little more money than above you can get NEW precisions which I have heard will have better idle quality than the dsms and you dont have to mess w wiring in the resistor box.

I just meant the intercooler piping kit from Go autoworks. You will save yourself a lot of headache going with the whole kit, but just getting the IC piping will save you some of the trouble.

The stealthmode kit you linked to is the one. I'm using the same kit.

If you're going to replace the fuel pump go w the 255lph. Just saying you can get away with the stocker at your power level.

Last edited by bradg; 02-10-2012 at 07:27 AM.
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossinteg View Post
I will save you the troubles,
They suck
This is the truth, it's not 2001 anymore. It's about the only way you'll get your trans to outlast your motor.
xohcef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendizzle View Post
definatelly a 5 speed swap, im currently about to do the 5 speed swap on my car. Engine management for automatic is just not really there like said previously the fmu is a terrible idea and i wouldnt trust it ive heard bad stories and a complete ems system is way too much money so it is cost effective to do the manual swap. Get a 5 speed trans from a civic ex so you get the shorter gears which will help a lot with acceleration. There are a lot of other little parts and bolts to do the swap so its probably best to find a junkyard where you can unbolt the parts you need and save the bolts. Then a chipped ecu with a stock basemap for your engine to drive while you collect all the parts for your turbo setup, then install your turbo kit and your ready to tune.
Awesome, thx for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in