Gone through 2 turbos already, help me diagnose! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Default Gone through 2 turbos already, help me diagnose!

I'm running a built D16Y8 with 75.5mm Vitaras, custom length FJ dist rods.

New:
OEM oil pump no shim or port
Clevite STD bearings (.002" clearance)
Rods, pistons, rings, gaskets, etc.
Micropolished and chamfered crank

Revving to 7200rpm
Stock head

I made 235whp at 8psi for 12,000 miles on the stock motor, then pulled it for my built motor. Nothing was broken, I just took advantage of my Thanksgiving break to get the motor in. Used the following turbo for 12k miles with no issues.

1st setup: T3 60 trim .60/.63ar from a Thunderbird
Made 300whp at 20 psi, 2 days later I was boosting fine when I hear a loud whining sound and no more boost. Compressor nut came off, major major side-side and in-out shaftplay.

2nd setup: Sent that T3 60 trim out to mhamrick to get rebuilt, he upgraded the compressor housing to a T4 with a 44 trim compressor. New CHRA, stage 1 turbine, and was balanced. Installed a new -3an feed line and the appropriate adapters. Kept it at 12psi following mhamrick's advice, boosted great. 1 day later, I'm at 12 psi and it suddenly drops to 8 psi. I pull over immediately, notice that there is a rattling noise at idle. So I poke around and found the turbo compressor was making contact with the compressor housing. 5 hours before this I checked the shaftplay and there was very little side to side, no in/out at all. Now it has noticeable in/out, very little side to side shaftplay.

The drain is above oil level, fairly straight with a 90* bend at the fitting. I had no issues with the drain setup for 12k miles. Oil feed is new. I pulled the drain and let it idle for a couple seconds, a good bit of oil came out, telling me the feed is not clogged.

Freshly changed oil both times the turbo blew, I just can't figure out why I keep blowing turbos. The car's been down for over a month now, and being my DD I need to fix it ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by sde780; 02-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

buy a brand new turbo!
cant expect much from a used turbo.
and i know mhamrick knows his turbo stuff. but nothing will be as good as a new turbo from the factory with perfect specs.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Frodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
buy a brand new turbo!
cant expect much from a used turbo.
and i know mhamrick knows his turbo stuff. but nothing will be as good as a new turbo from the factory with perfect specs.
QFT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Danz made me do it!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

new turbo, -3an oil feed line with NO restrictor, problem solved

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody

I didn't use a restrictor with the -3an line in the 2nd setup (freshly rebuilt turbo). That turbo has a new CHRA from Garrett per mhamrick.

I just don't want to spent the $700 on a new turbo and risk the chance that it may be something wrong with my setup the whole time
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

Seems odd to have that premature of failure of the centersection bearing. Is the BOV functioning correctly. I know compressor surge from running no BOV or faulty BOV can rape a turbo pretty quickly. Other than that IDK m8

torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I didn't hear any compressor surge, the BOV hasn't changed since I was boosted on my stock motor.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde780 View Post
I didn't hear any compressor surge, the BOV hasn't changed since I was boosted on my stock motor.
Well, theres a few things that can destroy turbos, or eat their bearings...

I know Mhamrick is quite meticulous (at least portrays himself that way, which I believe) with turbo rebuilds. It is possible he made a mistake, or something in the rebuild failed possilby. If you are positive you are getting good oil flow through the turbo what else is there to harm it, besides foreign debri going through the turbo?

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Does the fact that there is noticeable in and out play whereas barely side-to-side play help at all?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

yes your thrust washer is trash
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Another possibility mhamrick mentioned: I used a thin layer of permatex between the feed flange and turbo. That could have gotten in and damaged it. If that's the case I'm officially retarded. Any other ideas? Feed is confirmed good, disconnected turbo end and when cranking a nice stream of oil came out
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Where is your feed coming from?? do you have any kind of filter on the feed line? This is really odd to say the least it really is sounding like oil starvation.

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Stock oil pressure port. It is filtered, I'm running all the appropriate adapters. Bought the kit from Fast-Turbo.com
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Something is strange here then have you thought about maybe using a -4 line?? Also do you have a oil pressure gauge?? Wonder if this is a precursor to a larger problem

Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

It shouldn't *theoretically* be starving the turbo with a -3an line, people have used it with the same setup hundreds of times. -4an line will supply too much oil and blow the seals from what I've read.

That's what I'm afraid of, if my motor's not seeing enough oil pressure I'll have a lot more to be worried about than just the turbo.

I do have an oil pressure gauge, however it stays at max. I am trying to figure out what the issue is, because it was "working" when I bought it. Grounded to chassis and battery to no avail. The sender has 2 terminals on it, GRD and WK
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

This is my drain
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Does the gauge actually show PSI. While the -4 might supply to much oil for most motors it might be what you need with yours or replace your oil pump and see if it changes. I really feel that this could be something bigger. I could see if it was pushing oil past the seals thats an easy fix.

Get another sending unit they are about 12-15 bucks if Im not mistaken. I have used glowshifts and it worked great.

Oh ave you taken the drain off to make sure there are no obstruction on that end as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yessir, I took the drain off and let the motor idle for a second, stream of oil came out the drain. Did the same thing with the feed, just cranked it and oil came spurting out of the feed.

I will get a new sender (or new gauge for that matter, Prosport sucks!)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I installed a brand new OEM oil pump with the motor.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Canihazmoniez

zero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Wow this has me stumped... all I can say is wait for the new sender and see what it shows..
#1 Sedan Hater
zero183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in