Homemade twin scroll top mount - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default Homemade twin scroll top mount

I figured I'd share a my manifold build with my d-series peeps. I'm open for suggestion or comments, good or bad. i'm a big boy. I can take it. Its just tacked together so if any changes are to be done they need to be now. This is my first attempt at building any kind of manifold and I already see some things I wish I would've done differently.

Harbor Freight $45 chop saw. I welded some angle iron to the side at the guestimated angle I wanted for the collector. I just clamped the pipe down with a C clamp and hacked away.

...and ended up with 4 of these.

...which became this (x2)

decent welds for a $80 Harbor freight flux core welder.

Here's a shot of the flange I made lined up with the Holset inlet. You can see how much material had to be removed for a smooth transition.

And finally one side of the collector welded to the flange.
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....

After the collector was welded up, I made a bracket to hold the turbo in its place which will also support the weight of the turbo. This should help relieve some of the stress off the runners themselves and help prevent cracking.... I hope.

Once it was mocked up on the car I ended up cutting the angle out and using some all-thread. This allowed me to be able to bend the mount to get the turbo in its final position. which was an MFer BTW. It is tight in there.

I bought a box of schedule 40 90's in mild steel and got some scrap pipe from work.

Then went to work. Started with runner #2.

and paired it with #3

Didnt get anymore pics until #3 and #4 were done.

Last edited by 13g-crx; 01-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Then #4 sneaking in there at the end.

and off the car.

So far I'm very pleased with how this is turning out. I still have to add my wastegate flanges then i'll be ready to stick everything together permanently. Their are a couple fit-ups that arent perfect. I should be able to make them dead on when I break it apart for final welding. Then a healthy coat of VHT high temp ceramic paint and some heat wrap and I'm done. I've got right at $100 in it. Much better than $1000 and I can say I built it!

Last edited by 13g-crx; 01-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 hondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to hondalx97

i have a flux core like that please let me know how the welds hold i was scared they wouldnt be strong enough. but good work brah i wanna make my own downpipe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i like my cars like i like my women, with D's instead of B's

For all you HID needs let me know authorized reseller for sharphid and theretrofitsource!
shit blew up sale thread please helppp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PROJECTORS retofit service/supplies

hondalx97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks really good man, can't wait to see it all finished.
What are you gonna do with the heatshield tabs?

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAY View Post
Looks really good man, can't wait to see it all finished.
What are you gonna do with the heatshield tabs?
I'll leave them for now. They might be useful for something down the road.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice work man!

Might I ask what HF welder you have? I have an $80 one in my garage, never tried using it on anything with sufficient wall thickness. Worked like a plasma cutter on thinner stuff lol.

It has pretty much lived in the box for three years, only seen the light of day once.

This makes me want to buy some pipe and make a downpipe!

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

damm man looks sick so far but #4 looks a lil lonely

my 1320 buid
1320EG6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
one grumpy old man

Rep Power: 19 Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!
Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!Darin T is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

looks good.

FARMYARD
10.677 @ 136.54 vitara z6/y8 2013
10.967 @ 129.57 vitara z6/y8 2012
10.437 @ 133.72 vitara a6/y8 2011
10.583 @ 137.00 vitara a6/y8 2010
Darin T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

i like where this is going

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

looks pretty sweet but don't you want all the runners to be the same length? you have them coupled correctly. From what I understand about turbo manifolds you want to utilize the exhaust pulses as efficiently as possible, especially with a twin scroll turbo. like #1 gas will spin the first wheel then #3 gas will spin the second then #4 gas will spin the first wheel again and finally #2 will spin the second. it's like setting timing on an engine you don't want detonation. just like you want the exhaust pulses to hit the turbines in unison to keep the turbo spooling continuously.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
looks pretty sweet but don't you want all the runners to be the same length? you have them coupled correctly. From what I understand about turbo manifolds you want to utilize the exhaust pulses as efficiently as possible, especially with a twin scroll turbo. like #1 gas will spin the first wheel then #3 gas will spin the second then #4 gas will spin the first wheel again and finally #2 will spin the second. it's like setting timing on an engine you don't want detonation. just like you want the exhaust pulses to hit the turbines in unison to keep the turbo spooling continuously.
1-3-4-2

Really you want 1 of each companion cylinder on each side that way it pushes on each side every 90 degrees. if you were to take from cylinders 1 and 4 for example you would get 1 exhaust pulse, and then 180 degrees of nothing, and then another exhaust pulse.

Last edited by cervan; 01-26-2012 at 10:52 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

Either way, if the runners aren't all the same length won't this process be messed up?

I like the DIY.

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Mr. Smith smells like BoratMr. Smith smells like BoratMr. Smith smells like BoratMr. Smith smells like BoratMr. Smith smells like Borat

looks good so far man, just hope the welder and get the welds hot enough to get good penetration
Mr. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

shit looks bad ass man!

what worries also are your custom support brackets as well.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Looks good.

You want the support to have play in it (design, think of a motor mount), so that the whole assembly can heat up and move/expand a little. Ideally you wan the collector to be a slip-fit like you see on some high-end headers as well. I don't know if it really matters, but I know Steinar looked into it last year (he had problems cracking everything).
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Looks good. I agree that your support is most likely too ridged. I could cause cracking problems on it's own.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Bravo! That looks badass man. Keep it up!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

nice man, flux core mild steel manifolds for the win!!!

downpipe might be a little tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

Sooo you should make more and sell me one =)

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in