Block guard? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Block guard?

I sent my z6 to get the machine work done for my vitrara and fj custom rods. I was talking to the machinist about my plans for the motor. He asked and suggested that I should think about running a block guard since its going to be seeing 15 + psi. From what I been reading you guys are yes and no about running them. I'm just trying to get this motor right the first time while its out of the car.
O my goal is around 300 with my 50 trim and around 400 after I get a bigger turbo probably next year.
Thanks
jwright4596 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

you dont need it.
i ran just over 300 for a year. no issues.
ran 475whp last summer. was tuned without one. eventually i put one in it to stop the sleeves from moving around and breaking the seal. but that was at 28psi.
my 300whp setup was at 20psi and the motor saw up to 26 without one.
dont bother with it.

but if you absolutely want it it will not hurt you. some say it restricts coolant flow. BS IMO. me and a buddy have used them and never had a heating issue.
so you dont NEED it . but you can use it.

15psi isnt shit also. so unless your at alot more boost then that you will be just fine.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
you dont need it.
ran 475whp last summer. was tuned without one. eventually i put one in it to stop the sleeves from moving around and breaking the seal. but that was at 28psi.
dont bother with it.

but if you absolutely want it it will not hurt you. some say it restricts coolant flow. BS IMO. me and a buddy have used them and never had a heating issue.

15psi isnt shit also. so unless your at alot more boost then that you will be just fine.

THis is pretty much all you need to know right here.
im the other guy he talked about above, and had zero issues with the block guard.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
you dont need it.
dont bother with it.

I was actually reading your build thread about that last night. lol
If I was going to run one, which one did you end up using? Golden eagle or what?
And did you have a machine shop install yours or were you able to do install it in your shop. Cause I never seen how to install one if it need welded in or does it just press in?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright4596 View Post
I was actually reading your build thread about that last night. lol
If I was going to run one, which one did you end up using? Golden eagle or what?
And did you have a machine shop install yours or were you able to do install it in your shop. Cause I never seen how to install one if it need welded in or does it just press in?
i used a GE one.
and they are just press in. they are super tight fit. and i did it myself in the garage while changing the HG.
if you run it i would suggest having your builder put it in and then having the motor built after its in. but i guess since i made it work after the fact you could to.
i did it a very crude way haha. installed it with a hammer and a punch. just made it as even as i could.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

haha also would you suggest to have it even with the sleeves or a little below them. I also heard and seen them both ways. I heard to set it little below it so some of the coolant can get above it to cool it or something like that.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
you dont need it.
dont bother with it.

Good stuff. Thank you sir

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to boostedsohc again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....

Last edited by kingyeddi; 01-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.
kingyeddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano

Quote:
haha also would you suggest to have it even with the sleeves or a little below them. I also heard and seen them both ways. I heard to set it little below it so some of the coolant can get above it to cool it or something like that.
It should be recessed into the sleeve slightly and equally. I used a KMS block guard, and it came with a specification (dont remember off the top of my head) on the instructions on how deep to make it, I think it was close to 3mm.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

thanks for the info guys! I just ordered a GE block guard. Cause I'm better safe than sorry with my luck! lol
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!

I will run one after I build my high boost setup..

Quote:
Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

yeah I wasn't going to run one til I was reading boostedsohc's build thread last night about how he was having head gasket sealing problems cause of sleeve walk
Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Quote:
yeah I wasn't going to run one til I was reading boostedsohc's build thread last night about how he was having head gasket sealing problems cause of sleeve walk
I'll put my jdm mad tyt repz on the line when I say boostedsohc and a5hatch know what the fuck they're talking about

*edit* po$t 420

Quote:

Last edited by kingyeddi; 01-23-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: po$t420yo!! mad tyt
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

That's what it looks like from their rep and from what I read on their build threads. Nothing like first hand experience! lol
Thanks again for the quick replies guys much appreciated!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 d16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I had the same question, going to do a build around 300+whp daily driven like 350miles per week or more and was wondering about the block guard, planning on like 17-21psi daily and like 28psi high boost. So is it best for me to run a block guard also?
d16auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what it looks like from their rep and from what I read on their build threads. Nothing like first hand experience! lol
Thanks again for the quick replies guys much appreciated!
no prob man. glad me and gabe could help you out.
installing a block gaurd def helped my HG issues. but it did not completely solve them just letting you know. when you get to a higher power lever the only real solution is sleeving the block. but the gaurd most def helps a ton IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16auto View Post
I had the same question, going to do a build around 300+whp daily driven like 350miles per week or more and was wondering about the block guard, planning on like 17-21psi daily and like 28psi high boost. So is it best for me to run a block guard also?
like stated above. you dont need it but it will not hurt to have it.
300whp isnt a ton of whp. but a gaurd may be helpful

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 d16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respectd16auto  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
no prob man. glad me and gabe could help you out.
installing a block gaurd def helped my HG issues. but it did not completely solve them just letting you know. when you get to a higher power lever the only real solution is sleeving the block. but the gaurd most def helps a ton IMO.

like stated above. you dont need it but it will not hurt to have it.
300whp isnt a ton of whp. but a gaurd may be helpful
ok thanks, any specific brand? supertech or GE?
d16auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
ive only used a GE it was good. im sure there all about the same.
i just personaly like GE products

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 christbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to all

Good info!

A blockguard isnt gonna make your sleeves handle any more pressure than if it were not there. Your sleeves are a certain thickness of a certain material, so when they reach the breaking point, it will happen with or without the support of a block guard.

However, like boostedsohc stated, it will keep your sleeves from moving and proper seal of the headgasket.

So in short, you dont need one, but if you install one right it wont hurt.
christbone20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by christbone20 View Post
Good info!

A blockguard isnt gonna make your sleeves handle any more pressure than if it were not there. Your sleeves are a certain thickness of a certain material, so when they reach the breaking point, it will happen with or without the support of a block guard.

However, like boostedsohc stated, it will keep your sleeves from moving and proper seal of the headgasket.

So in short, you dont need one, but if you install one right it wont hurt.
True true thats why I wasn't going to run one. But if it can prevent HG problems later down the road might as well do it now while I'm putting it together.

Quote:
I went with GE cause it looks like it would flow coolant better than just holes drilled in the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
block gaurd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in