Turbo gauges? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Turbo gauges?

Hi I have been searching for which gauges I should use but everything I find is about 240sx lancers or subies so I would like to here from d series folks what's the best combo. I have a boost gauge and was thinking about a water or oil temp and I'm not sure about the 3rd gauge.
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 ryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I run Autometer digital boost, wideband a/f and oil pressure.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Boost, AFR, and Oil pressure. A gauge is just a gauge, IMO.Don't go too crazy. If it works, it works.

Edit: Damnit man you beat me by like 10 seconds....
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Usually:

oil pressure
water temp
boost (duh)
air/fuel

Some use:
EGT
fuel pressure
oil temp

mix-n-match to what suits your needs...

1985 4Runner: 22RE w/ engnbldr head, 261* cam and O/S valves, 5.29 gears, Detroit front locker, E-Locker rear, girlfriend-bought 38" tires, 4" AllPro lift, dual t-cases, hi steer and an increasing amount of body damage. But that's what it's for; it's not a Jeep.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's no reason a car built on a Fairmont chassis with a Pinto engine and Lincoln brakes should work this well, but it does!
wakkjobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 stevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i love my prosport gauges......
am using boost/vac and oil pressure
Prosport Gauges - Boost gauges, Wideband Air Fuel Ratio, 80mm tachometers, 80mm Boost gauges,Oil pressure gauges, peak warning Gauges. Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Gauges, 45mm gauges

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

stevenarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 Boostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

AEM gauges...

Wideband O2
Tru-Boost controller
Serial gauge (specific to AEM standalone ECU's only) Gives you 19 engine parameter readouts.
Boostincx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 grandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Autometer short-sweep carbon fiber electric oil temp gauge
Autometer full-sweep mechanical carbon fiber oil pressure gauge
Zeitronix Zt-2 LCD wideband display showing boost, AFR, lambda, EGT
stock coolant temp gauge.... :P

i'm a bit picky on knowing where all my temps/pressures/etc are LOL

not a whole lot of people do it, but i highly recommend you run an oil temp gauge.... i never worried about oil temps until i decided to install the gauge one day.... on hot 95F July days after a long interstate drive my oil temps have cracked 250F....
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Boost, aem wudeband, abd oil psi.
If your tuned thats should be all you.really need imo.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Honda Datalog for Android

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

What is most important to your engine?

Oil pressure.
Water temperature.
AFR.

And done.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

Tac.
Oil pressure
Vacuum/boost

And voltage (for sound system)
Is what I run.
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Honda Datalog for Android

pimp shit!

And to o/p, if you mean pillar gauges.. boo$t and oil pres here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Gauges provide information.

Good information is required to make good decisions.

What decisions you need to make determines what gauges you need.

For a boosted DD I would think
Essential
Normal OEM gauges like speedometer, odometer, Fuel gauge.
OEM coolant temperature if fitted otherwise after market.
OEM Tacho if fitted otherwise after market.
After market oil pressure.
After market boost/vacuum gauge.
After market a:f
Knock indicator of some sort.

Desirable.

Battery charge/volts.
Oil temperature.
Fuel pressure.
Instantaneous fuel flow rate.
Transmission oil temperature.
G force meter.
4 X EGT
IAT

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

Last edited by patprimmer; 01-12-2012 at 02:34 AM.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Ok this is my dd and I bought a 3 gauge pillar pod.I'm thinking a don't need an oil pressure gauge because shouldn't it stay the same pressure with or without a turbo?also I don't plan on buying a wideband o2 as of right now so should I still think about an afr gauge?

All I can think of is ....
Boost
Oil temp
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Ok this is my dd and I bought a 3 gauge pillar pod.I'm thinking a don't need an oil pressure gauge because shouldn't it stay the same pressure with or without a turbo?also I don't plan on buying a wideband o2 as of right now so should I still think about an afr gauge?

All I can think of is ....
Boost
Oil temp
AFR gauge + norrow band is as useless and a twat with nothing to shove in..

Quote:
Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

You need oil pressure gauge with a turbo motor imo. Or n/a motor ... a/f gauges aren't accurate like widebands I wouldn't drive a boosted motor without wideband, oil pressure, or boost/vac
spadesEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 point78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

oil pressure is one of, if not the most important things for your engine, afr possibly even more-you can toast your engine real quick if either of those two get out of whack.

you need a wideband to get your afr.

oil pressure changes with rpm, and oil temp. As your oil heats up, it "thins out" and your pressure can drop. I normally run a really thin oil in my car(0w20), pressure at 4000rpm is usually about 57psi, with normal temp oil. If I'm running the engine hard for a bit, I'll start to see my oil psi slowly drop-when it gets to 45psi at 4000rpm, I know my oil is getting to hot, and I stop beating on it.

When I start the engine cold. oil pressure is like 100psi. the engine water temp will get up to 180 in 2-3 minutes, but oil takes a lot longer to warm up-like 5-10 minutes. I watch my oil pressure come down from 100 psi, back a more normal level before I run the engine at normal or hard levels, "cold" oil doesn't properly lubricate(think protect) the engine.

Last edited by point78; 01-12-2012 at 05:33 AM.
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

I'm going to have my car dyno tuned so I was thinking I can get away without a wideband?I plan on installing everything I can at home then drive to the dyno and install the exhaust mani,turbo, and lines and then put it on the dyno. So at this point I'm thinking

Boost
Oil pressure
Oil temp

Thanks for the help so far guys
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Yeah, I really skimped by on my gauge setup. Used BG, $20. BNIB scammazon oil press gauge like $15 lolz

Did I mention I'm really fucking cheap??

Quote:
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 point78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

every single post so far has said you need a wideband and AFR(edit-the guy above didn't). Every post after this is probably going to say you need a wideband and afr. there is a reason everyone is saying that... I'm just saying....

Without it, you won't know what your AFR is-thats probably the #1 reason most engines grenade, something happened and the AFR leaned out-BOOM!! (Fuel pressure randomly goes down a little, temp outside really changes, injector/fuel filter gets a little piece of dirt and clogs-engine leans out-BOOM!!)
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in