Notching - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Notching

okay so it's the point in time on my build, where i should begin notching my block and my journal, or gurdel or griddle, which even term is used on this forum..not too sure.. anyways, my question using my feeler gage how deep do my or should my notches be? with a combo of vitara pistons and h beam rods and arp rod bolts? I've seached the forums but havent found this specific info.
And..I should do the notching before I get the block hot tanked correct? so theres no debris left from the nothching on the cyliner walls?

thanks in advance!
98exd16y7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles

3/4'' wide and and 1/4'' into the cylinder and 1/4'' into the block the other way and blend the connecting edges so that it doesn't stress crack. READ THAT ARTICLE

crx hf racecar build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles

3/4'' wide and and 1/4'' into the cylinder and 1/4'' into the block the other way and blend the connecting edges so that it doesn't stress crack. READ THAT ARTICLE
+1

That's the article I followed to notch my block. I first laid down 3/4 tap to see how things looked then placed marks on both sides of the tape with a sharpie. Then Removed the tape and went to work with a carbide bit. Yes it suggested to get your block hot tanked after the notching as small shards will be everywhere
S2klean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

^ As he said, you must clean, clean, CLEAN the block and oil passages when you do this. It would suck to chew up your new bearings on startup!
sobe_death is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Cover all the holes with tape. Cheaper and easier than getting it hot-tanked lol.

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I do it with each piston sans rings, rod and crank in place so I can turn it over easy by hand and check as I go. I cover everything with tape and rags as appropriate to keep the crap out.

I grind only what is necessary to get 0.060" clearance. I blend out all sharp edges to avoid stress risers.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 tobs smells like Borattobs smells like Borattobs smells like Borattobs smells like Borattobs smells like Borat

the old one article FTW!!!

I mark it with a sharpie and grind it down.
after that i smooth it out with some sanding wheel and give it a good clean!

tobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

How about when getting my block bored? I guess I would have to bore it before beginning the notching process? then take it and get hot tanked once more? lol shitty deal, but if thats whats gotta get done lol, I feel better getting it hot tanked then just using a rag to stop little debris to getting where it shouldnt.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano

wash it in the driveway, notch it, get it bored and hot tanked

crx hf racecar build:

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 tron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

^word, in that order too

tron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

So I began my notching, I am a little worried if i went a little to far into the bore, I went 3/4th of an inch to and inch in, here are a few photos, what do you guys think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

So long as it does not go into the ring travel area it's OK.

Of course it's wise to take no more than necessary. 0.060" is plenty of clearance

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

there might be a tiny tiny little bit of just rough area in the ring travel due to me getting rid of the the square edge to smooth it out..but if i bore the block would that correct it? back to smooth and be safe?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rods stretch and compress as the engine runs. That's why we need clearances.

If the oil ring rail end drops into the notch as the engine runs it may very well smash itself to bits

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

theres no notch into the ring travel, just rough area into it 2-3mm into max. would the rods stretch that 2-3mm into the notch? do rods stretch that much? and is the bore and hone going to smooth that rough area out so that the ring doesn't get ruined?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Yikes!!! thats quite a bit down the bore

crx hf racecar build:

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

They stretch up to 1mm. Typically more like 0.7mm

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

edit***

Last edited by 98exd16y7; 02-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

how should i go about smoothing out the rough area around the notch, for less wear on the piston skits? is that going to be taken care of when the block gets hot tanked? or would the boring and hone going to take care of it?

would you guys reccomend a new block possibly? with how deep those notches are? theres no notch in the ring travel but..
anyone able to help me out with this info? Thanks.

Last edited by 98exd16y7; 02-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

bump!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in