Turbo maps...please help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo maps...please help

Hey guys. I need help

Im running a gt2860r and i already maxed it out.

so im thinking to go to a gt2871r.
only thing is that i talked with a friend of mine that works for store that sells turbos and he can sell me a gt3071r t3 with the antisurge(like the gt3076r) for the same price with the gt2871r.

The thing now is that both turbos are similar in hp numbers.
I want somewhere of the 400hp mark with the least turbo lag.

so im posting the maps that garrett gives.
Please let me know which one is better.

DJSORTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

Let me google that for you

Read My Stuff:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

im not good at all in math thats why im asking...lol

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

The gt3071r. The spool may be a bit slower but its a much better turbo. The gt2871r its somewhat choked by the smaller turbine. Go with .63 as well.

Also you will be flirting with safe max for the gt3071 at 400hp. I have never seen 400HP with the gt2871r.

There are other options that are actually just as good that will cost less unless you are getting a killer deal on the turbo.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 grandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamrick View Post
The gt3071r. The spool may be a bit slower but its a much better turbo. The gt2871r its somewhat choked by the smaller turbine. Go with .63 as well.

Also you will be flirting with safe max for the gt3071 at 400hp. I have never seen 400HP with the gt2871r.

There are other options that are actually just as good that will cost less unless you are getting a killer deal on the turbo.
listen to this man ^^^^

exactly what i was going to say.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

Mhammrick summed it up, short and to the point.
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:

I am curious as to why you say the 3071 is a better turbo, as I was contemplating using a 2871 for a long while.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes

The biggest mistake people make when they chose a turbo is that they look at the comp map and then go with the smallest turbine and AR for spool. You have to understand that the turbo works by using the flow created on the comp side and converts it to pressure by using the turbine nozzle. The turbine works by converting heat pressure into mechanical energy. Its the psi of the exhaust pre turbine turbine that is flowing to lower psi atmosphere.

Look at the max flow comp flow on each comp map. They are close to 45lb min. Now look at the turbine maps and their efficiency. The gt28 hits peak at 15lb min and the gt30 hits peak at 20lb min. Once you hit peak turbine flow you will get less out per psi from the comp. Basically you start to choke the turbo because the turbine can not keep up.

I have seem the gt2871 and gt3071 both on the same motor and setup first hand and at the same psi. The gt30 spooled slighter slower but made far better peak HP at the same psi.

I'm at work but I can go into this in greater detail later.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Matchi is learning the way of the DMatchi is learning the way of the D
Send a message via Skype™ to Matchi

Quote:
I'm at work but I can go into this in greater detail later.
please do that. sounds VERY interesting
Matchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Ok. That makes sense.

However, ATP releases a twin scroll bolt on turbine housing for the GT28 series. I think that would be fun to play with, as I have not been impressed at all with the spool and response times of the GT30s on D-series engines.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

ATP has a twin scroll GT28 housing?

Where can one find turbine maps (I've asked about it before and had no luck)? All I've seen is the AR chart BW has for the EFR line.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Turbine maps are . . . difficult. The only good information I've seen online is the BW AR charts, mostly because they have very specific turbos. Garrett probably has done the work, but since there are eleventy trillion combos, that is a significant investment in testing. I wouldn't want to just give away that info, either. The turbine map is generally a combination of the whole turbo, as the turbine map is effected by the shaft, bearing assembly, compressor, turbine and compressor housings, EGT, etc. All of those variables make things very hard to test consistently or completely, as EVERY combination would be different.

GT28RS/2871R 0.82 A/R T3 DIVIDED Turbine Housing : atpturbo.com

Not cheap, but interesting.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Man I love intelligent discussions.
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Guys the first and fourth picture in the first post are turbine maps.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Right. I know that. They aren't terribly informative, though, unlike the compressor maps.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

im curious about what you said for the gt2871r because at turbobygarrett.com says that makes 470hp...

Actually i dont really care about peak numbers.
I want a gt series turbo that will make around 400hp and still spool fast.
My car is a daily driver keep that in mind!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:

i get both turbos for 700euros...its dirt cheap!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I have seen several 2871 builds on other engines reach 400HP, though it seems to be pushing the turbo hard. I would really like to see someone use the TS housing on one.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Guys the first and fourth picture in the first post are turbine maps.
I didn't read the thread (yet).
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Right. I know that. They aren't terribly informative, though, unlike the compressor maps.
They are very informative if you understand what they mean. The line moving left to right is efficinecy but it does not show peak efficiency which relates to lb min comp/ lb min at turbine. You actually meet peak efficiency slighter before the peak turbine efficiency. I will get into this in great detail in a bit. Right now I just got home and am going to get a bite and take a knap.

Was up all night watching my "Eers" pound Clemson 70-33......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in