Bore or no bore?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Bore or no bore??

I've been reading these forums for some time and have finally decided not to go n/a with my d16y8 and instead piece together a solid turbo setup. Seeing as i am only shooting for around 250 whp im looking into getting some vitara pistons and either fj rods or rcautoworks vitara kit.

I noticed that the rc kit comes with 75.5mm pistons and some people say that doing is a .5 bore is good to do my thing is i live a decent distance from a machine shop and this is my daily driver and i cant be without a car for a long period of time aside from that is a 75.5mm bore really needed or can i get away with the stock bore?

All opinions are welcome thanks!
cs45F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

What condition is your stock bore in is a rather important aspect. Do you have facilities to measure it accurately and to hone it.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my intro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

i haven't cracked the motor open yet to see what the condition is but i do want to toss a new gasket set in that i have had since i got the car and some arp head bolts i got to put in so i can check the condition then my motor has about 114,000 on it. if it is messed up i can take it to a machine shop there is a place that my v8 buddies take all of there stuff to but it is a little bit of a drive.

now if i do need to hone it will boring it negate the need for a hone or will i need to hone if the walls turn out to be messed up and then bore if i wanted to?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Get an overbore, then a hone. Tell the machine shop you want a 60 degree crosshatch with a min of 400 grit.

Honing is done to make the walls rougher which will help in retaining oil and bedding in the new piston rings. Just an overbore is not enough.

At 114,000, it's best to do an overbore. The stock sleeves will not be a perfect circle. Plus, on the stock bore, the Vitaras will be very noisy due to piston slap. Give the machine shop your new pistons and ask for a piston-to-wall clearance of about 0.002 to 0.0025".

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Get an overbore, then a hone. Tell the machine shop you want a 60 degree crosshatch with a min of 400 grit.

Honing is done to make the walls rougher which will help in retaining oil and bedding in the new piston rings. Just an overbore is not enough.

At 114,000, it's best to do an overbore. The stock sleeves will not be a perfect circle. Plus, on the stock bore, the Vitaras will be very noisy due to piston slap. Give the machine shop your new pistons and ask for a piston-to-wall clearance of about 0.002 to 0.0025".
Thanks for the info ill just have to make the dive to the shop. Now when i tell them to use at least 400 grit if they ask me "Well what do you want?" and if i tell them the piston to wall clearance and they want an exact number what should i give them?

And one more question for anyone looking at this are FJD quick at producing rods because I've seen that they need 10 orders before they make them or am i going to be waiting a year for my rods to get to me?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

FJD is closed for now due to multiple robberies at his shop. Not sure when they're going to be back. RC Autoworks should have the same rods. If not, then look here. Brand New DOHC B18A / B18B / B20 / SOHC D16 ----> H-Beam Rods $200 SHIPPED - Honda-Tech

P2W clearance of 0.0025 inches should be fine. Number the pistons before you hand over everything and make sure the machinist checks each piston before boring for that cylinder. Else, variances in manufacturing will mean different clearances for different cylinders.

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
FJD is closed for now due to multiple robberies at his shop. Not sure when they're going to be back. RC Autoworks should have the same rods. If not, then look here. Brand New DOHC B18A / B18B / B20 / SOHC D16 ----> H-Beam Rods $200 SHIPPED - Honda-Tech

P2W clearance of 0.0025 inches should be fine. Number the pistons before you hand over everything and make sure the machinist checks each piston before boring for that cylinder. Else, variances in manufacturing will mean different clearances for different cylinders.
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in