Turbo D question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo D question

Right now I'm going to be starting on a project to build a turbo mini-me- I'm working on gettings the parts together.

My question is this: how much would it cost to build an 11 second street car with a turbo mini me that is fairly reliable?
What parts would you guys suggest/what platform? I was thinking a Del Sol.

Thanks for any input.
NIKKOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

By street I mean it still has all the things to be legal- in places like Texas or what ever where the emissions laws are relaxed, but as far as having things that aren't really that necessary like say... an HVAC or the like, I really don't care.

I am coming from Subaru hell, so I am new to Hondas. I figured the D series would be a good choice to work with since its not going to cost me an arm and a leg like an EJ would.

Thanks y'all.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

search, its gonna cost you an arm and one leg
jasonek9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKOR View Post
Right now I'm going to be starting on a project to build a turbo mini-me- I'm working on gettings the parts together.

My question is this: how much would it cost to build an 11 second street car with a turbo mini me that is fairly reliable?
What parts would you guys suggest/what platform? I was thinking a Del Sol.

Thanks for any input.
Like they've said before, i would recommend looking at other peoples build on here so you have an idea of what parts are needed to achieve ur goals...
eXxPLoSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 jplowman2005 is learning the way of the Djplowman2005 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

i say d16z6, vitara pistons,fjt rods, some port work on the head, valvesprings and retainers, and either colt cam,or delta regrind,arps,gaskets, oil pump,bearings,water pump,etc and a goodclutch

then youll need a wideband, boost guage,standalone, injectors, fuel pump, regulator and guage for tuning

the turbo kit is where youll spend your money, tial 50mm bov,tial 44 wastegate, go autoworks piping kit,nice ram horn manifold, and i say a gt30 turbo,boost controller,downpipe, exhaust.

im shure im missing alot since ive never been that fast,axels,trannys,etc will need some attention, so add all that up and youll have a starting bottom price,youll always find more stuff you need but never less

2001 Silverado 4x4
2011 700fi Rhino

Playstation network: JPlowman2005
jplowman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonek9 View Post
search, its gonna cost you an arm and one leg
I wasn't anticipating cheap, I was already looking into Vitara pistons, Bisimoto H beam rods, ARP head studs, having said components weighed and balanced- crank too- can't forget that.

Can't forget a good cam thrown in the mix.
I just need need to figure out which turbo would work well and how feasible this sort of thing is.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Holy crap I could do this for like 5-6 grand potentially couldn't I?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Holy crap I could do this for like 5-6 grand potentially couldn't I?
That so in the right ball park. EMS too dont cheap out on that!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm thinking a Del Sol for the platform- what all exactly would I need as far as the drive line and tranny?
The engine won't be hard, I just need to get my hands on the block and head and start from there. Looks like I am going to be covering a lot of extra CQ shifts, but I think I can get my hands on everything easy.
D series heads and blocks don't seem to be hard to get.
You can't cheap out on engine management its like cheaping out on condoms-horrible expensive things happen as the result.

Last edited by NIKKOR; 12-31-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm thinking a Del Sol for the platform- what all exactly would I need as far as the drive line and tranny?
The engine won't be hard, I just need to get my hands on the block and head and start from there. Looks like I am going to be covering a lot of extra CQ shifts, but I think I can get my hands on everything easy.
D series heads and blocks don't seem to be hard to get.
You can't cheap out on engine management its like cheaping out on condoms-horrible expensive things happen as the result.
You can use a stock tranny and just buy a LsD quaife? Idk how u spell it lol
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Wouldnt use a del sol there are heavy a 2dr civic is lighter and then the hatch is the lightest.
Transmission wise would be lsd z6 with a good clutch. And not sure on axle some have taken stock to 400hp without problem so idk on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Ej1Zcz6 is learning the way of the DEj1Zcz6 is learning the way of the D

i would get a hatch or coupe more room and they way less.... and 5-6gs is a good range ive seen people spend a lot less and make thoes goals but he bought all ebay shit and had to redo the block 6moutnhs later...
Ej1Zcz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Crap. I thought that the Hell slo would be light weight!
I really don't want to risk the Civic- I love it too much.

Is it a CRAP load more or just a little bit more?
Also, what block and head would you guys suggest?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Looks like you are on the right track. Check out the showcase section and look at some other people's builds to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. The best advice I can give you is to not be in a hurry and to do your research, those two things together will save you a lot of money and a lot of headaches.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Read Tue stickies in the top of this section.....it will answer 98% of the questions Ur asking....come back with a specific question, short answer for 5-6k you could easily have an 11 sec capable street car, whether you have the skill to make it go 11s is the real question

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Crap. I thought that the Hell slo would be light weight!
I really don't want to risk the Civic- I love it too much.

Is it a CRAP load more or just a little bit more?
Also, what block and head would you guys suggest?
Oh boy here comes the debate. There are a couple of different schools of people here some like their vtec and others say it's not worth it. I think most people will agree that a z6 block and crank are a good place to start but there is a lot of wiggle room as far as the head goes. Pretty sure that most of the Honda head will get you too your goal ... but the one's that are commonly used (IIRC) are the z6, a6, y8 and y7 heads.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
Read Tue stickies in the top of this section.....it will answer 98% of the questions Ur asking....come back with a specific question, short answer for 5-6k you could easily have an 11 sec capable street car, whether you have the skill to make it go 11s is the real question
Practice practice practice A little seat time will go along way.
I'm going to start getting the parts together soon here, starting with the engine and tranny first. So... the fun shall begin.
I reckon that I will start a build thread on that one.
I've already gathered that the amount of money that I will save doing a Dingle cam is going to be nuts! Which makes me a happy panda. I just need to learn more about these little buggers.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Del sol about 100-200lbs more. Dont remeber the exact numbers just know its heavier. I use to hace one nice lil xae but needed more room.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Oh boy here comes the debate. There are a couple of different schools of people here some like their vtec and others say it's not worth it. I think most people will agree that a z6 block and crank are a good place to start but there is a lot of wiggle room as far as the head goes. Pretty sure that most of the Honda head will get you too your goal ... but the one's that are commonly used (IIRC) are the z6, a6, y8 and y7 heads.
Already found the head- y8-bisimoto cams good?
I also got the vitara pistons and the rods from golden eagle- H beams. Would a Y7 block be a bad choice?

Last edited by NIKKOR; 12-31-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Simple fact is none vtec WILL make less power. On a boosted setup any vtec head will make more power!

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in