Raptor BOV flutter dump and surge - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 wvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Raptor BOV flutter dump and surge

For those who have a Turbonetics Raptor blow off valve on your civic, here's some hopefully helpful info to getting it operating right.

Here's my personal experience with this BOV. When setup from factory and hooked up according to Turbonetics, it makes a flutter sound in between gears under boost conditions. Turbo surge is also present with my Turbonectics V-trim .48 turbo. The manual suggests hooking up just the vacuum line to the top of the BOV. It only suggests to hook up the boost hose to the side if a quicker response is desired. During testing, surge was noted in between gears when the intake pipe with filter was taken off. It sounded nasty bad!

I hooked up both the vacuum and boost hoses to my BOV and it works much better with a nice consistant wooosh sound. Note that you will have to tighten the adjuster screw on the end by about 3 turns give or take, to get the vavle to stay closed in full boost conditions.

Here is the instructions for the Raptor BOV.

Here is a video showing
by a BOV. Sorry it's not a D but you get the idea. I've experienced this exact sound on my D16Y7 build.

Here is a video illustrating what
is. Again not a civic but this can happen even on a civic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wvince; 12-24-2011 at 09:28 AM.
wvince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I don't run a bov anymore. Overrated lol. Seriously I don't run one. It needs a softer spring
Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 wvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enough

Suppose that would be ok if you flat foot between gears. But what happens to spool with all that back pressure?

Here is a vid of small problem I'm having periodically. I'm thinking the compressor is going past the surge line of the map and doing this funky chunky thing. One time it will do it, next time not.
About the 40 sec mark it surges or something. Everything is fine after that. In another video lust a minute before this it ran through the RPM range no hiccups at all.

Last edited by wvince; 12-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here's a vid of my testing with no hiccups. Went through the gears fine. Note playing with throttle at about the 1 min mark.

D16Y7 testing

Note that full 20psi boost is obtained by 4500 rpm.

Last edited by wvince; 12-26-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Looks fine. I don't think its passing the surge line but I would have to year it in person. I let it surge. I posted more as a joke but basically if its under boost and your passing the surge line bump the exhaust size up a bit too
Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

My compressor map. Here

This is also my DD by the way.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Figured out that with a Raptor BOV that you will either run a soft setting on the spring for low boost and a hard setting on the spring for high boost. In high boost conditions the added pressure line on the side of the BOV is best for quick release. But this setup will creap open when boost pressures get into the high teens or more. Basically it won't go over 18psi with a soft spring setting when using both lines. When using only the vacuum line and running high boost, you'll exprience surge or pressure feeding back through the turbo between gear shifts because the BOV won't release quick enough or open far enough.

Oh and you'll get flutter dump if you run high boost with both lines hooked up and a tight spring setting. No getting around it with this BOV. At least I haven't found away yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in