turbo oil lines - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default turbo oil lines

workin on my turbo build and im hooking up my oil pressure sender and running my turbo oil lines. Just wondering if any of you guys recommend putting any kind of sealant on the threads. The guys at orielly's said to use blue lock tite but that just doesnt sound right to me. some of those guys are functional retards
swervin-mervin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

an fitting dont need sealant. me personally. even though i know how they work i still put a tiny bit of liquid thread sealant on the threads to keep them tight

if you dont know what your doing then dont put anything on it because you may clog or contaminate your oil
Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Hell no. no locktite. As said an fittings dont need anything. Now on npt fittings I always use a little teflon tape.
Also how r u installing it? Teeing off the oil psi senor? Ir oil sandwhich plate?
I used a sandwhich plate with an inline 4an 1/8ntp gauge port for my setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 bradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enoughbradg will become famous soon enough

Don't use teflon tape. Parts of the tape can get in the oiling system. If you're going to use anything use liquid teflon sealant. I used that on the tee to block fitting.

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg View Post
Don't use teflon tape. Parts of the tape can get in the oiling system. If you're going to use anything use liquid teflon sealant. I used that on the tee to block fitting.
been using it for years without problems. I only put a little on and on the upper threads. I dont like liquid sealant on the oil fittings because when ever i removed them there is a crust of the sealant and it flakes off and goes inside.

but to each his own.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

i have an oil filter relocation kit that has 2 npt holes in it . i wasnt sure if an oil application would work with teflon tape. i thought it ate right through it.
swervin-mervin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

i use teflon tape.... works great
techavluis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg View Post
As a licensed plumber I will say that teflon tape is much safer than thread sealant. Some products used in plumbing very clearly state that using thread sealant will void warranties and recommend teflon tape. The thread sealant actually will solidify over time. I recommend using a high quality teflon tape like this that wont shred as easily Blue Monster™ PTFE Thread Seal Tape. Ive used it in everything from advanced geo-thermo recirculating systems to pressure reducing valves. If anything with thread sealant id recommend painting the threads lightly, then giving them 2 or3 wraps of the tape that I suggested above in conjunction with the pipe dope. Remember to use the sealant modestly

Last edited by drunkinmaster1; 12-25-2011 at 03:01 PM.
drunkinmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

Bye the way, I had to replace an oil sending unit in my wife's car 2 months ago. Can you guess what was on the threads from the manufacturer? Thats right, tape.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinmaster1 View Post
Bye the way, I had to replace an oil sending unit in my wife's car 2 months ago. Can you guess what was on the threads from the manufacturer? Thats right, tape.
yeah but were talking an fittings. i dont use to seal i use to lock them in place.
just like i use that liquid on any bolt that i want to be tight for a long time. but yeah that shit does solidify after some time.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
insert user title here

Youre right about AN fittings. Its actually better to use nothing on them; a simple snug fit will do. Tape is a major no-no on an tapered fittings.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

Can someone show me a pic of this oil psi sensor?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
insert user title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by baajaa View Post
Can someone show me a pic of this oil psi sensor?
Its just above the oil filter, or underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block and it uses a 1/8 npt thread. Read this article on remote mounting your oil pressure sensor from Larry Widmer (aka "the old one"). The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles
Id suggest anyone to read up on all his articles in case you havent already, very good reading.

And heres the pic of its location
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinmaster1 View Post
Its just above the oil filter, or underneath the intake manifold on the back of the block and it uses a 1/8 npt thread. Read this article on remote mounting your oil pressure sensor from Larry Widmer (aka "the old one"). The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Articles
Id suggest anyone to read up on all his articles in case you havent already, very good reading.

And heres the pic of its location
This is exactly what I have been looking for... setting up gauges and have been stumped by the oil pressure sensor/location/mounting and so on. Reading gets me so far; I r dumb and need pictures whenever possible.

>>Dan

1985 4Runner: 22RE w/ engnbldr head, 261* cam and O/S valves, 5.29 gears, Detroit front locker, E-Locker rear, girlfriend-bought 38" tires, 4" AllPro lift, dual t-cases, hi steer and an increasing amount of body damage. But that's what it's for; it's not a Jeep.

Quote:
There's no reason a car built on a Fairmont chassis with a Pinto engine and Lincoln brakes should work this well, but it does!
wakkjobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

just use simple plumbing thread tap will do the trick
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 tron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Like people said, nothing on AN fittings and a bit of teflon tape on NPT fittings works great

If you are using a sandwich plate make sure it filters the oil. Im not sure if youre running a stock motor or a fresh build but i had a sandwich plate grenade my turbo because it wasnt filtered and fed unfiltered oil into the turbos center housing

tron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in