Internal parts for boost? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Internal parts for boost?

hey guys. i was looking for some basic info on what some of you guys are running. i figured i would reference to this closed thread since it's not that old......

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...d-combo-2.html

if my turbo build ever gets moving (starting is the hardest) i will be using Wiseco pistons. never EVER heard a complaint about these with any auto manufacturer (Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and others).

my QUESTION IS.... drum roll please.... rods; which are strong and LIGHTER weight? a comment made me wonder about weight of the rods when the modified LS rods were mentioned. lighter rods are more efficient, less rotating mass, less stress, blah blah blah. i'm looking for strong and light rods. strength/ weight is obviously give/ take and a huge factor when cost is considered. what's the best for a reasonable price?.... hope this isn't a dumb question. thanks
nsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

to my understanding I-beam rods are cheaper, lighter, and not as strong as an H-beam rod. Eagle seems to be popular (any other?). how much power can the I-beam rods take?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

First things first...

Establish a power goal and go from there.

If you want vitara's I'd recommend the custom I beams. H beams will be necessary for forged.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
First things first...

Establish a power goal and go from there.

If you want vitara's I'd recommend the custom I beams. H beams will be necessary for forged.
thank you for the great info. can you please tell me why h-beam's are necessary for the wiseco pistons? just want to understand all this...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsk1 View Post
thank you for the great info. can you please tell me why h-beam's are necessary for the wiseco pistons? just want to understand all this...
usually the i beams are the custom length ones for vitara's

if you want anything under 450whp get a vitara setup. cant beat the price.
and the vitara build has been proven time after time
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
if you want anything under 450whp get a vitara setup. cant beat the price.
and the vitara build has been proven time after time
+1 save money!! When I install Vitaras in my z6 I intend to max out my 3bar map

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyeddi View Post
+1 save money!! When I install Vitaras in my z6 I intend to max out my 3bar map
This!

when I start my vitara build im gonna try to take them to 700hp. Will have a spare sleeved/forged block to drop in If it blows.
Darkman6909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

cheaper setup= vitara/fj rods better setup= eagle hbeams/wiseco. I always prefer the Hbeams, you want your rods as strong as possible, they are always the weak link in a boosted honda. you will see better throttle response with a lightweight flywheel than lightweight rods.

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arny213 View Post
cheaper setup= vitara/fj rods better setup= eagle hbeams/wiseco. I always prefer the Hbeams, you want your rods as strong as possible, they are always the weak link in a boosted honda. you will see better throttle response with a lightweight flywheel than lightweight rods.
i partly agree. the vitara fjt combo will support enough power to where to sleeves start to fail. but chances are most people arent looking to make that much power. most want some low end power and turbos that make that power dont have much low end for a street car.
but the forged pistons can take more detonation and have a bigger margian for error as the cast vitara's do not.

wiseco pistons will be safer but will cost you roughly $400 more then vitara's
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
the vitara fjt combo will support enough power to where to sleeves start to fail. vitara's
Where is that point? I mean what is the power, that the stock block can handle?
glo_zc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

vitaras arent all they are "cracked" up to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
vitaras arent all they are "cracked" up to be
HA!!! HAHAH!!! CRACKED!!!! u get it? cuz they crack...

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!

The cracking thing is getting over exaggerated and a bit old. All of the sudden all vitaras are junk pistons and asplodeZ!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

No, it isn't. Cracking Vitaras are becoming more common, due to a suspected change in quality of manufacturing.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
The cracking thing is getting over exaggerated and a bit old. All of the sudden all vitaras are junk pistons and asplodeZ!!!
Both sets of vitara's i had, in 2 different motors, were cracked in the same places. Different tune on the 2 different sets. there is a reason its becoming more common

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

I understand that with the increased demand the quality may have decreased but I'm not here to argue that, my issue is the recent mentality of implying that all vitara's will crack and at which you never see anyone mention @ what power range this occurs.

It just sorta feels like one of those bandwagons everyone is always dying to jump on, to me at least.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5hatch View Post
Both sets of vitara's i had, in 2 different motors, were cracked in the same places. Different tune on the 2 different sets. there is a reason its becoming more common
Ya, but wasn't the common factor in your and your buddy's engine failures the tuner???

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
Ya, but wasn't the common factor in your and your buddy's engine failures the tuner???
No, his flywheel came loose, motor was fine

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
I understand that with the increased demand the quality may have decreased but I'm not here to argue that, my issue is the recent mentality of implying that all vitara's will crack and at which you never see anyone mention @ what power range this occurs.

It just sorta feels like one of those bandwagons everyone is always dying to jump on, to me at least.
the cracking doesnt happen once you hit X hp. i think its a combination of high RPM and torque.

and its impossible to make big power on a D without RPM. therefore i cant really see any use for the vitara piston.

keep it under 8000rpm and keep the torque to 300ftlb or less and i think they will hold up pretty well.... but dont expect to hit 10s too easily like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

i think the only other piston i'd go for, and only if the price was drastically lower, would be CP pistons. but i've been seeing Wiseco pistons for low/mid 400's and i haven't seen CP's under 500. haven't looked too terribly hard though. suggestions are where to buy? deals?

i was looking more for info on the rods. Eagle H-beams seem to be tried and true.

clutch/ lightweight flywheel will most likely be ACT.... unless anyone has a better suggestion. wanted to save this for after i did more research on it, but what clutch will hold the power best with still being streetable?

edit on the clutch comment- i guess i need to talk to Mike at LSD

Last edited by nsk1; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in