Buying a vitara block?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 Didly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Buying a vitara block??

What should someone look for when buying a used vitara block???
What are signs that I shouldn't buy it?
Id prefer to have my own built but it will cost me over 2grand.
My Tuner will assemble and hot tank deck and hone for 600$$
Is that a decent price?
Someone is selling a vitara block with tuner toys rods and vitaras
And claims the compression is 7:5:1
Is that to low of compression?

If I build my own I think I will go with the fj rods...
Didly dane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 cdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cdawg

if you knew what you're doing and could find a shop that would hot tank a block for you for little to nothing, a honer isn't too expensive either, its been years since ive replaced one, and a ring compressor so i don't remember, but i would guess everything in you said there for assembly if you did it your self should cost you around 100 - 150 bucks... if you don't know how to over haul the engine, find a how to book and have at it, all of us can help out too if you got questions on what is what...
cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

What should someone look for when buying a used vitara block??? The shape the block is in, has it sat outside? Has it been taken care of? Match sure the cylinder walls are good. Make sure no rust.
What are signs that I shouldn't buy it? If it has rust in the cylinders, pistons look like valves it. Very dirty like from oil leaks
Id prefer to have my own built but it will cost me over 2grand.
My Tuner will assemble and hot tank deck and hone for 600$$
Is that a decent price? I picked up a fj kit with oil pump for 750ish. crank was polished 50.00, cylinders bored .25 over 100.00, cleaned 25.00, put together myself.
Someone is selling a vitara block with tuner toys rods and vitaras
And claims the compression is 7:5:1
Is that to low of compression?too low for me, I like something with stock comp or higher on turbo. The higher the compression the sooner a large turbo will spool

If I build my own I think I will go with the fj rods...

fj has good parts, but not the best business, hit up rc autoworks, they have the same rods.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 Didly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enough

Thank your for the fast responses...
I have installed a few engines and done plenty of various work on hondas...
Truth is I just havnt gotten inside an engine so I was skeptical.
Plus I didn't think o had the right tools to put together a block...
Like for bearings and such... Or clearances.
I have tore a block or two apart...
(only to have it stolen off my porch by scrap metalers..
But putting them together is what worrys me
Like balancing and blueprinting.
I was thinking to have someone build it for piece of mine...
Does anyone know of any other machine shops in socal,
Rather then a tuner...

Also he said 350 for assembly 250 for hone deck hot tank.
Or 180 for just a hone...
Seems high?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

2 grand? Holy fuck.

If you have the space to do it then research and teach yourself to build an engine...it isn't rocket surgery.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

Google "Topher's built sohc" and watch the video. That shows you how easy it is to put a block together
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Here's part of my math...
600 assembly hone, deck, and hot tank
400 rod/piston combo
100 studs
100 map
100 fuel pump
100/200 for a cheap needs rebuild block and head...
150/200 For timing belt water pump and various seals
50/ head gasket
200-400 If I need to upgrade injectors since mine are 440's
100/300 waste gate since I don't have one
+boost controller
+turbo timer
+
I need a new turbo since mine is spewing oil..
I'm still running an eBay kit/godspeed kit making 166/170 5psi
But now I'm knocking due to my turbo wasting so much oil....
+300to retune my hondata

Last edited by Didly dane; 12-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Thank you topher I know I can put it together after watching a detailed video lol..
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didly dane View Post
Here's part of my math...
600 assembly hone, deck, and hot tank
400 rod/piston combo
100 studs
100 map
100 fuel pump
100/200 for a cheap needs rebuild block and head...
150/200 For timing belt water pump and various seals
50/ head gasket
200-400 If I need to upgrade injectors since mine are 440's
100/300 waste gate since I don't have one
+boost controller
+turbo timer
+
I need a new turbo since mine is spewing oil..
I'm still running an eBay kit/godspeed kit making 166/170 5psi
But now I'm knocking due to my turbo wasting so much oil....
+300to retune my hondata
Well your original message is a little misleading. It sounded like you were talking a longblock, not a whole engine + turbo kit. Having said that though there is savings to be found in your list.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I'm not really adding a turbo kit gonna use my old one for the most part.
I just need a new turbo to get by...
The total is at 1600 before Injectors.

Hell if I can build the block myself that will save me 600!!
Looks like its time to buckle down and read some info on installing the crank and bearings...
Which is a PITA on only my phone...
First I wanna try and find a cheap ass engine stand on c.l.

Last edited by Didly dane; 12-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Ok guys so I have been researching some more,
On installing the bearings and crank and such...
My question is how do u guys go about balancing everything?
Do u guys pay to have the crank and rotTing assembly professionaly balanced
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i built a z6 vitaras/fj and bearings .20 decked ect and put together by machine shop all under 1000
snailslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

How did it do?
Where did u source your parts any help is appreciated
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

find any d16 block.. say under $100.. pistons are only $120ish, rods $350/$400.. $80 bearings.. then find a decent machine shop.. mines cheap here
snailslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I think key here for me is to find a cheaper machine shop here in socal that knows Honda engines.
Anyone know of any in socal?
Rs machines wasnt very far..but I read they went out of buisness or changed owners or something.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 sales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Engine assembly is not cheap. You have to pay to play if your not willing to learn how to do stuff yourself.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

It's not that I'm not willing but I have people everywhere around me telling me to just pay to uave it assembled for peace of mind..
So now I'm really confused..
I called another tuner shop today and they said 500 assembly 900 balance.and.blueprint...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didly dane View Post
It's not that I'm not willing but I have people everywhere around me telling me to just pay to uave it assembled for peace of mind..
So now I'm really confused..
I called another tuner shop today and they said 500 assembly 900 balance.and.blueprint...
will they put a guarantee on their assembly work, or a warranty?

If not, Whats the benefit in having them do something relatively easy you can do yourself, when they wont back up their work?

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the Dxkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

you should buy a block that has been put together already and to have any papers that it was put together from a machine shop. Thats the cheapest way to go or you can do it for the first time and see the results?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkrazyxjbrkerx75 View Post
you should buy a block that has been put together already and to have any papers that it was put together from a machine shop. Thats the cheapest way to go or you can do it for the first time and see the results?
I disagree. I would rather learn and research how to do it myself and put it together knowing what I got. Not wondering if Jojo was upset because his prized chihuahua died the night before and was too doped up on anti-depressants to give a damn about clocking my rings the right way.

And just because it's warrantied doesn't mean shit. I guarantee they will try and get out of it before they pay to fix it. The burden of proof will be on you not them....seen it happen to a friend.
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
vitara turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in