z6 bottom end, a6 head ?'s - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default z6 bottom end, a6 head ?'s

well its a little late to ask too many questions since its already in the car and running, but basically I freshened up a stock z6 block and topped it with a good a6 head I had, cause I didnt' want to mess with vtec, and it was a cheap way to lower compression.
1. so its in the car running, but the 1.5 I took out would run circles around this thing. I realize I now only have 8.6 compression, but geez. stock po6 computer though, timing belt set at a6 marks. is the lower compression killing it that bad?
2. will the lower compression hurt me in trying to tune for mpg once I turbo it, or should I just yank the head and put on a z6?
its n/a at the moment til I get it broke in. only planning to run a small turbo on it, and it hits 10psi at 2500 rpm. already had this turbo setup on another civic.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

no opinions on leaving it the way it is or slamming a z6 head on it for 10lbs or less of boost? Hmmmmmm.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Yes

No

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

The "amount" of boost you run doesn't matter. What matters is what turbo, what powerband goals you have, and the overall set-up.
10lbs of air =/= 10psi.

If your only going for 200whp, I would run as much compression as my fuel allows. Which means you can probably run upwards of 11:1 Compression on 93oct if your chamber is decent and you have a good tune. But yeah, either mill the A6 head or run/mill the Z6 head and bump your compression up to atleast 10:1. There's no point in running low compression with "low" power goals.

But there's a number of reasons your NA motor makes less power/feels slower. The lower compression might be part of it, but it could also be the lack of a tune for that engine combo. Just make sure there isn't something wrong before you go changing things up.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

guess I will play with the timing and maybe throw in my other chipped computer and try some different tunes for a few days. might still throw on the z6 head before its all done though.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

if i was you, i would be more concerned with oil pressure.

you see, the A6 head does not have a restrictor jet in it like the Z6 head does. the A6's jet is in the deck of the block. the z6 block does not have provisions for this jet.

so right now you have a HUGE oil pressure leak, so to speak.... no oil jets at all!

id be interested in seeing how it plays out without any changes... and id really be interested to know what your oil pressure is like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

actually it was already drilled and the oil jet from the a6 went right in with a new o-ring!
I ported the oil pump as well before I put it together. haven't run a manual gauge on it yet but It seems to be fine. when I get my lift open where I don't have to lay on the ground to install the oil pressure gauge I will check it.

Last edited by turbowagonman; 05-24-2011 at 05:13 PM.
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

good man glad to see u didnt over look that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in