14psi internal wastegate + 18G + hondata PWM = boost spike?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 skweekz is learning the way of the Dskweekz is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default 14psi internal wastegate + 18G + hondata PWM = boost spike??

Here's how the story goes, it may get a bit confusing so i'll be as descriptive as possible.

I own a Greddy 18G with its factory WG actuator. Before my tune I decided to purchase a 14psi wastegate actuator from ATP turbo and swap the WG's in order to be able to reach my goal of 22psi.

On the day of my tune, I didn't realize that I had installed the ATP actuator with a bit too much slack on the flapper and made only 8psi initially not hitting my desired 22psi until really late in the powerband, say 5500rpm or so where it was useless. Bear in mind this ATP actuator was supposed to be no less than 14psi out of the box. Basically it was leaking boost until enough pressure built.

I should also note at this time that I have an S300 and PWM boost by gear.

Now...the day after my tune, I strap the 18G factory wastegate back on and make 10psi in first gear at a more desirable RPM basically how a greddy 18G would spool, nice and early. 3rd gear I'm now hitting 17psi, which is nice but i'm tuned for 22psi..something the factory greddy actuator just will not reach.

Changing variables:

So yesterday I install the ATP 14psi actuator again, this time properly. Nice and tight over the flapper, not allowing boost to escape early on and building pressure like an 18G should

1st gear - 14psi, great
2nd gear - 16psi, great
3rd gear - wanting to go passed 22psi and car going into boost cut.
didn't even proceed going through the rest of the gears as i'm sure this issue would persist.

I'm trying to make sense of this because my boost by gear is set to only make has high as 18psi in 3rd gear and 22psi in 4th and 5th.

So why this spike? why won't it hold at 18psi in 3rd?? could it possible i got overzealous with the tightening of the actuator rod on the flapper as to eliminate the boost creeping out into the exhaust? so much in fact that now the flapper doesn't want to open enough??

however if this is the case...then why no significant boost cutting spikes in 1st and 2nd?

thanx in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this and lend a hand.
skweekz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Whats the duty cycle in the different gears? I assume you have adjusted them when you changed actuator?

Another thing to think about - If you make boost significantly earlier now then what you did when you got tuned, you should be careful, as that part of the map was never reached on the dyno. At the best the tuner had to guess what kind of numbers to put into the cells, or he just left them alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

How r u tuned for 22psi if u said u could only make 8 @ tje tuner? But could be boost cut not catching it. And internal wastegated tend to spike

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Now that you adjusted the flapper, you will most likely need to change the duty cycle of the PWM. I guess what I'm saying is the PWM solinoid doesn't need to work as hard to make the same amount of boost, now that the waste gate is holding shut.

Kyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

i'm going to say you'll always have this issue with the internal WG.... its a known issue with the mitsu housing inparticular.

you need to start by adjusting the boost vs gear pwm settings though and see if it helps.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 skweekz is learning the way of the Dskweekz is learning the way of the D

i made 8psi early in the powerband, jumping to 22psi later in the powerband like at 5500-6K
skweekz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in