pushing coolant - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 jplowman2005 is learning the way of the Djplowman2005 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default pushing coolant

ok so ive built a few nitrous cars, so i thought id give a turbo car a try.. the car is a 2000 civic ex with the y8, had 160,000 miles, ran perfect n/a got 38mpg etc..yesterday i finish putting the kit on only to find out as soon as i boost it starts pushing coolent out the overflow.. im only running 6psi, and the afr is between 11.5-12 in boost.. i took 1deg out per psi, ive read around its looking like alot are saying headlift but i was wondering what else i could try first, the guy said he put a thermostat in it a few months before i for it, and both hoses are hot, and have pressure.. any thoughts
jplowman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 jplowman2005 is learning the way of the Djplowman2005 is learning the way of the D

oil is good, my setup is a cast manifold, .48/.50 turbo, type s bov, tial 38mm, egay front mount, tuned on crome, 255 walbro, fuel pressure regulator, koyo radiator
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Can you datalog? Find out the coolant temps while in and out of boost and compair. Sounds like head lift tho. Does it run find while out of boost? Over heat any?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

i havent put datalogging on this ecu yet, i was planning on seeing how i liked it then doing a vitara build with s300..it runs fine in and out of boost it just pushs coolant under boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Can you datalog? Find out the coolant temps while in and out of boost and compair. Sounds like head lift tho. Does it run find while out of boost? Over heat any?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 HondaPACT is learning the way of the DHondaPACT is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to HondaPACT

blown headgasket...like this

Quote:
psi is not created equal
HondaPACT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

well looks like im going to build my spare z6, it just kills me becasue the first time i took it out tune was perfect, and i did 2 2nd gear pulls stopped to check everything and it was already spraying coolant.. ive had buddys run 10psi on older d16s with no problems, and i actually had a solid smooth running motor and this happens
Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

Try pulling more timing.

If the compression is good, it runs fine out of boost, and isn't mixing, the headgasket isn't "blown"... Yet. If you continue boosting and pushing coolant through it, yeah it will blow pretty quickly.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Had the same issue with a fully built sleeved block so I took it out went to a vitara build back up block and no issues at all 17 psi daily driver no blockguard. It sux cause I hear something different every time on what can be causing this issue. G/l
single slam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Just wanna point out that usually around 150K is when Honda HG begin to go, and it might not have been changed yet. It probably is slight headlift combined with an old HG is causing that. Also, the AFR is a little rich at only 6 psi.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 HondaPACT is learning the way of the DHondaPACT is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to HondaPACT

the only reason the cooling system is going to be have excessive pressure is overheating or blown headgasket, if its completely sealed it wont push out coolant or at least any significant amount

Quote:
psi is not created equal
HondaPACT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

stock headbolts? but i would pull the head replace the gasket and put some arps on there to be safe
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

did a compression test all were 190-200psi.. reved it up sitting in the driveway under the hood and it came out of the overflow higher up in the rpms.. yes stock head studs and gasket.. i pulled 2 degress everywhere in boost after my 1degree per psi and it still did it.. i really didnt mean to say real rich, its 11.6-12... to be on the cheap side im going to put another thermostat in, and put my stock radiator in with a new cap since i cant find one around here to fit my koyo
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

post a screen shot of your low and high cam ignition maps.

problem with saying i pulled x amount of timing per psi is that those numbers are based on your vacuum cells, and without knowing that knowing how much you pulled in boost means nothing.

i'd bet you are around 17-20 at 10psi in your maps and 24 or higher at 6psi.....

once the head lifts once its time for new head bolts (if using stock bolts) and a new gasket. if your using head studs then just swap the gasket. anytime coolant pushes past the gasket it wont seal correctly again....

what engine management are you using?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

I'd throw some arp head bolts in there too. better to be safe than...... well where you are right now.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

hope this works not shure on how to post a screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map screenshot.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	27785  
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 wiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

It's a y8 head. Try pulling more timing across the map. Is your low cam map rich enough?
136.398mm b7 h-beam custom length, -11 vitaras, d15b7 block z6 head .039" mill. R.I.P. Cracked sleeve from detonation at 21 lbs 10/24/13. New build, same set up with b1 block, .035" milled off head, and Delta 272-2.

Last edited by wiledwhitecivic; 05-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
wiledwhitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yep fuel is good everywhere.. ill give that a try i got the dizzy fully retared as well... looks like ill be ordering some arps, and a honda head gasket... how often dose a head warp when its been lifted
Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiledwhitecivic View Post
It's a y8 head. Try pulling a couple * more. I think your timing map looks ok for 92 octane. Is your low cam map rich enough?
2x
I had a y7 on a map that had 16* and one with 21* ignition in idle. It always ran on the hot side and seemed to lag a little, was smooth but felt like something was missing. I switch it to 12* and it ran fine and had great power and mpg.

Running 16* on your map throws the map off by about 4* so your not taking out as much timing as you believe.

please people dont start a y8 timing war. Im just posting what i been through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplowman2005 View Post
yep fuel is good everywhere.. ill give that a try i got the dizzy fully retared as well... looks like ill be ordering some arps, and a honda head gasket... how often dose a head warp when its been lifted
not sure but i drove on a blown head gasket for about 30miles till i lost all coolant and the motor stop. Put a another head gasket in and the car ran ok. Cylinder 2 had low compression and valve were burnt, but but the head didnt warp

Got that car for cheap and was already looking for a motor before i picked up the car jsut didnt want to tow it

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 05-21-2011 at 12:28 PM.
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

what exactely do you mean running 16* on my map throws it off by 4*?

[QUOTE=xile6;2319112]2x
I had a y7 on a map that had 16* and one with 21* ignition in idle. It always ran on the hot side and seemed to lag a little, was smooth but felt like something was missing. I switch it to 12* and it ran fine and had great power and mpg.

Running 16* on your map throws the map off by about 4* so your not taking out as much timing as you believe.

please people dont start a y8 timing war. Im just posting what i been through.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

the obd2 timing is 12* vs. the obd1 engines which were 16*

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in