K04 on a 1.6 liter. Opinions? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default K04 on a 1.6 liter. Opinions?

I think I am going to be the first. I snagged and rebuilt a K04 from a MazdaSpeed 3 and think its going to be a perfect match for my AE86. I am looking for something that is going to spool fast but still hold strong on my daily. I used squirrel performance turbo calc and it showes it being good up to 300hp (crank) so that should work just fine for me. There is another K04 that uses a larger compressor that is very much like the GT2560 and I may upgrade it as the one it has now is more like the T3 50 trim.

Here is a link to the comp map. (the line represents 300hp and the last dot that is off the map is 8K)

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...product_id=102

Has anyone tried these turbos yet? The turbine shaft diameter is quite puny to say the least but it does make things light and easy to spool. I have seen this turbo make 330whp with bolt ons and good tune on MS3 but I know that was really pushing the poor thing. I plan on dynoing at 250 but will dial that back for daily use to 180 or so (the T50 is weak).

I guess the good news is if I am not happy with it I can choose one of about 50 others I have hoarded and some that I know will work. I am going to have to TIG up a custom downpipe and also an adapter flange to make this work but from my research and my math it should be perfect for what I have in mind.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I would really like to hear from someone that has run one but I have not had any luck at that yet.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.

Last edited by mhamrick; 05-20-2011 at 02:12 PM.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Link doesn't work.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Sorry try it now. The last three dots are 7200, 7600, and 8000 RPM's. It is well on the map until 7600 which should be just fine. I do realize that the map is not 100% accurate but it does give atleast a decent idea. I am going to be using Gtech Pro to guesstimate hp increase and what not. I know they are not exactly accurate either but when you are 3 hours away from a dyno and a decent tuner you have to do with what you have.

I also have Forced Performance big T28 as an option. They respond quite nicely on the stock GSX showing 21 psi by 3k. They also support 350whp on the awd version so I am figuring that if I want to move up later it is an excellent option. I will have to refigure everything else though. Here is the FP big T28 with the same numbers as what is mapped on the K04.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...&product_id=32

The K04 will not spool as fast though which may actually be benefit. It also will be easier to make a downpipe for so I am tossing this up.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in