Why don't people put fans on intercoolers? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Why don't people put fans on intercoolers?

People put fans on radiators, consdensors, and heat exchangers for W/A set-ups. But why don't people put fans on the intercooler to provide some air flow over them when you're sitting still/at low speeds?
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

good Idea, never thought of it. IDK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dj211855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Why do you need cooler charge air at idle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
Bingo, If you're moving the air flowing over the Intercooler is naturally moving at a higher speed than the fan can force it.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 WORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WORPsol Send a message via Yahoo to WORPsol

Not necc for cooler air at idle but to reduce he soak from the motor. I am trying to fig a way to do a dual pull fan setup like his on mine.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD, You wanna hit it but you know the consequences.
WORPsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to sloK

if you want to be really efficient, get a W2A intercooler. other than that while you are moving the outside air will flow through faster than the fan. it would be a good idea on a hot track to the 60 ft mark, afterwards your fan would really be obsolete (sp) since it wouldnt be pulling air in as fast as the outside air will flow.

just like your radiator fan wont run while you are going down the highway, no need for it to run at all.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I have my radiator fan on a toggle switch. But I do notice a difference in ECTs if I leave it on while moving, vs. shutting it off while moving. I really dont think it would be a terrible idea to have fans on the IC. Plus, figure if your moving, and air is running through the intercooler, a lot is probably redirecting around the intercooler. So if you had a fan, it would force it to come through.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Imao its a great idea if you live in the city/ hotter climates, or Fla/Tx/Ca lol

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Imao its a great idea if you live in the city/ hotter climates, or Fla/Tx/Ca lol
That actually would be usefull.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 19 punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!
punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!punkbomb138 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punkbomb138 Send a message via Yahoo to punkbomb138

ive sometimes thought of making a director for the intercooler. seeing as how the intercooler fits and all and air runs around it because of design. would it be a good idea to make a front slip on thats angled towards the intercooler to divert flow into the front of the intercooler and gain more air flow volume?

air flow on radiator would be decreased but theres ways to fix that also.

punkbomb138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
That actually would be usefull.
Its gotta atleast help some when youre sitting in traffic waiting for the 3 minivans in front of you to turn. Switch it off when youre cruising on the 'open' roads.

A water sprayer, or relocated windshield washer nozzle wouldnt hurt either if youre that concerned

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Its gotta atleast help some when youre sitting in traffic waiting for the 3 minivans in front of you to turn. Switch it off when youre cruising on the 'open' roads.

A water sprayer, or relocated windshield washer nozzle wouldnt hurt either if youre that concerned
Sprayed my condesor with water on my old ej1 the ac sucked in that car it was a r12 system converted to 134 and would over heat at idle so I sprayed water it made a differences.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

i was thinking about puting a fan on mine because its gunna be my daily in az heat.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFurself View Post
i was thinking about puting a fan on mine because its gunna be my daily in az heat.
Buy a more efficient intercooler.

I think that having a fan on an intercooler is a great idea...at the track, in staging; but then again so is a water to air.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

i have a mishimotto core made into a backdoor intercooler
Old 05-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

People dont do it because its simply not necessary. Once youre driving, the air alone will cool off the intercooler.

Who cares about temps at idle anyways, I doubt youre boosting 10psi at idle. And if the temps do go up at idle, once you start driving itll cool down.

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
They way I understood it was it stays cold-ish at speed because you dump hot air into the cooler intercooler, which has lots of air flowing over/through it. But at idle/standing still, there's no air moving over the intercooler at all, so the head from the charge air transfers to the intercooler, heatsoaking it (there was a really good explanation on rHMT).

So running fans on the intercooler would help reduce heatsoak. While hotter idle intake tempts might be a good thing for somethings, a heat soaked intercooler is never a good thing.. And I figure the air flowing over the fans would overpower the fans at speed anyways.

Just wondering why no one uses the idea, especially on OEM-turbocharged cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkbomb138 View Post
ive sometimes thought of making a director for the intercooler. seeing as how the intercooler fits and all and air runs around it because of design. would it be a good idea to make a front slip on thats angled towards the intercooler to divert flow into the front of the intercooler and gain more air flow volume?

air flow on radiator would be decreased but theres ways to fix that also.
I know what you mean, I just forget the word. I've seen set-ups where they have extra intake ducts under the car to direct more air at the radiator.

But I also wonder if you'll have problems (with overheating) taking hot-ish air from the intercooler and forcing it through the condensor/radiator. Or does the air not warm up all that much passing through the intercooler?

Last edited by sxysweed; 05-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

Are you guys seriously this stupid??

Get a temperature probe and measure how much hotter your FMIC gets at idle. Youre NOT boosting, its in vacuum. There is very little to no heat soak to the FMIC.

You guys are unbelievable. Why dont you put fans on your lights so when theyre on they dont get heat soak to the head lamps?

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

id like to move more air through my IC if i can.

so if i create a low pressure zone directly behind the warmest part of the intercooler (the side closest to the compressor) it will move even MORE air through it while at speed.

sounds like a good idea to me.

i guess thats why i want one for my a2a setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCreep View Post
Are you guys seriously this stupid??

Get a temperature probe and measure how much hotter your FMIC gets at idle. Youre NOT boosting, its in vacuum. There is very little to no heat soak to the FMIC.

You guys are unbelievable. Why dont you put fans on your lights so when theyre on they dont get heat soak to the head lamps?
x2. Until someone actually measures the temp of the IC after a few runs with no fan running at idle and then afterwards with a fan then sure, and even then I dont think it will make a real difference. Once you start moving an efficient enough cooler should start doing its job quickly. As for at the track and staging lanes I think just a good sprayer over the entire intercooler would help the best and be easiest to do.
Boost Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in