D-Series helped us make this power on 4AGTE.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default D-Series helped us make this power on 4AGTE....

I have been helping a friend on his setup in his AE and here is his numbers from a couple days ago. This setup was picked from multiple builds from this forum and this build would not have been possible without this forum and plethora of information I have absorbed from it. PERIOD. This is a street driven car with track weekends and is dialed back to 12 psi for the street.

Setup is 4AGZE block with stock rods and plus+1mm OEM GZE pistons with TRD head gasket. ARP headstuds and rod bolts. Custom equal length manifold, 2.5" downpipe and straight through exhaust WITH cat. 2.5" IC'r piping, with spearco front mount. DSM 1 st gen crushed BOV set to bypass. Megasquirt I v2.2 with 550cc injectors. K n N intake filter. Walbro 255 lph. HKS 256 cams with HKS valve springs.

Turbo is TD05H small 16G with a ported 14B hotisde. I rebuilt the turbo for the build.

He has been considering larger tubing on both exhaust and intercooler but I think he is going to enjoy what he has for the time being. Later on upgrade the turbo he has to something larger (which is already in the work, another frankenturbo to say the least). He has considered adding a small shot of Nawz to hit 400whp.

What do you guys think? Suggestions on the setup?

I have something similiar in mind but plan on using a 7AFE shortblock and running forged rods and OEM GZE pistons. My CR will come in around 9.5:1 and I plan on using a modified K04 from a MazdaSpeed3. Consequently the K04 I am talking about has the same sized inducer as the small 16G as well as the T3 60 trim, GT2560R, TD04 19T, and IHI STI turbo hmmmm think that is a coincidence??, and uses a smaller turbine. I am hoping for better response without a sacrifice of top end performance. The turbo does pretty good in the MS3 but falls around 5500 RPM's. I am hoping the .5 liter displacement difference offsets this as well as clipping the turbine as I have done. I want to crack 300 lb ft more then I want to crack 300whp. However I don't want it to be like a truck motor either LOL.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.

Last edited by mhamrick; 05-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

where are the numbers?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes

305whp at 7700 RPM's and 236 lb-ft at 4750RPM's.

Can you not see the dyno?
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 16 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jew

more pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

What do you want pictures of? I may be able to do an underhood shot but he may get pissy with me of and outside shot. Pisses me off as he only hunts down Mustangs and Camaros to pester (he can walk a new Camaro SS if he hooks and does not smoke the skins).

He is not a member on this forum though but some of his friends are I think. He wants the tubo to spool about 800 RPM's sooner or trade in the turbo for something that spools the same but makes bigger top end. Shit I would be stoked with this dyno.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice, dyno picture didnt work the first time....
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
セックス大好き

Rep Power: 43 moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !moss500berg is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

22psi and only 305hp? Hits boost @ 4.3k and Revs all the way to 7700? Seems like somethings not right no me, even if its still a 1.6L. Maybe not, idk, im tired. Mo' pichers plz

1993 240sx Coupe * GONE * Farewell old friend..

1992 240sx Coupe * Awaiting 1JZ-GTE * New Drift Build

199X 240sx RHD 3S-GE 6MT * On-the-back-burner * Track Car Project

Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops
moss500berg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

305 rwhp which makes a big difference. Stock 4AGE in a MR2 makes about 105rwhp. In the AE86 they make about 88-90 rwhp. The RWD trans setup robs about double whzt transverse mounts setups do. The diference is 12-15whp. A cammed 4AGE with all yhe bolt on fixings make about 150rwhp on the MR2 and on the 125-130 rwhp on the AE.

Or this setup would make about 340-350rwhp. That is maxing a small 16G out on a 1.6 liter. I was wondering if you noticed it was a small 16G?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Bigger cams, or cam gears to tweak the ICV and EVO timing.

EXCELLENT Torque "curve."

Move up to a 3" downpipe and that will help spool time.

Smaller turbines will choke sooner. You'll be surprised at how well Honda heads flow compared to other makes, and if a turbo dies at 5500RPM on a 2.3L Maz-turd, it's going to be almost as bad on a D.

I would be tempted to drive that car, and I don't usually like those things.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss500berg View Post
22psi and only 305hp? Hits boost @ 4.3k and Revs all the way to 7700? Seems like somethings not right no me, even if its still a 1.6L. Maybe not, idk, im tired. Mo' pichers plz
Its a small turbo man. 22psi on this is a lot less than 22psi with a different turbo.

And yes OP, we need pics of the engine bay.

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamrick View Post
305 rwhp which makes a big difference. Stock 4AGE in a MR2 makes about 105rwhp. In the AE86 they make about 88-90 rwhp. The RWD trans setup robs about double whzt transverse mounts setups do. The diference is 12-15whp. A cammed 4AGE with all yhe bolt on fixings make about 150rwhp on the MR2 and on the 125-130 rwhp on the AE.

Or this setup would make about 340-350rwhp. That is maxing a small 16G out on a 1.6 liter. I was wondering if you noticed it was a small 16G?
This I found very true but at the same time quite funny through researching the 4ag sites online. Many people who go an buy an 86 will usually do the 20v swap without realizing the amount of headaches needed to do it, plus they still get robbed more than the corolla/geo/mr2 guys and its literally a drop in swap for transversal mount guys. Funniest part is most who do this state their reason as "Takumi has a 20v, therefore if I have one, my 86 will kick ass!" Also interested in the setup here

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

HP curve makes me think the turbo is maxed out, or at least the turbine.

He wants it to spool 800RPM sooner? 4300 is already soon, lol. Very nice powerband

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

So FUGGING TRUE!!! ^^^^

I have no idea why they spend gobs of money on a 20V swap which is NOT a direct drop in swap like say a B16A into a 95 Civic. A lot of work is involved and at the end of the day they are still not as fast as many other cars.
Ive even driven GT-S 86's and they feel only slightly faster than a D16Y8.

Ive never heard a guy say Takumi has the swap so they must have it. Its the same thing as most Honda guys who swap to B. Its been done before and they rather just swap without knowing that F/I is much cheaper alternative that pumps out gobs more power than an extra cam.

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I've had the chance to drive both a stock mr2 and a 20v swapp'd one(my current project). Difference is there, I'll admit the ls I had before was porky in the low end, but this 4age kicks its ass once vvt kicks in.

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Being a Toyota guy in a Honda forum and seeing how much Toyota owners put down the Honda Guys I will say this: both forums have their posers and their originals. What I like most about this forum is the community sticks together more and shares ideas better. Not nearly as much hating here. With the Toyota crowd you get 1 that actually does something compared to 19 that talks about. It gets sickening to try to get info on those forums cause out of 50 posts I get one with good info from someone that has turned the wrench not from someone that has heard from this buddy that knew a guy that worked for this guy that owned my car 8 years ago. Then you have to fight with this dumb ass mother fuckers about what is right and wrong; seriously I watched a thread grow to over 300 posts about how many ignition cycles is in one revolution, its a fucking 4 stroke. Most questions get answered on here from personal expierence and that carries a lot more credibility with me as well as respect.

I fit more into the Honda mentality that if we screw it up then we will just have more fun fixing it and making it better. Toyota owners act like they are original but 250whp turbo street Civic done a $2k is baller original to me, even if you are flossing a Ching Chong.

Toyota owners (not all but the majority) are all about a specific look or fad. Honda owners are all about the go pedal and doing it on a budget. I fall between the two with loving the quirky look of the AE (not JDM tight Yo either) and the budget friendly sense of the D crowd.

The turbo is maxed. The small 16G uses a compressor almost identical to T3 60 trim (or GT2560, or etc). It was my honest opinion that he is pushing that bitch pretty hard and he has dialed it back considerbaly. I think he is making 232whp at 12 psi.

The reason he wants it spool faster is that his final drive puts him on a funny bubble at cruising speeds on the interstate. The car only does 70 MPH at 4K and he wants it to be locked on in boost at that RPM which his dyno says it is but he swears it is not. He says he misses the linear feel of the car when on the interstate pulling from 4K. I think he has blown a coupler or something silly from the way he is talking. I have also explained dropping it 4th and pushing the large pedal furtherest to the right.

Also the reason why most guys swap out to the 20V is the appeal of ITBs, 20V,s, VVT, and 8K-9K redline. I have owned one and it is touted at as quick 50 hp upgrade. I will say what most knowledgeable 4AGE owners have summerized: The 20V are flat but have great potential. I just don't have a deep enough pocket to see it through as it needs to be executed.

I was planning on running a ST20V head on 7AGE forged bottom end for my boost application. I planned on using a modified B16 intake manifold so I did not have to fight the ITBs. I just dont like banging the firewall to get it to work.

Last edited by mhamrick; 05-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

looks like theres a restriction somewhere, maybe exhaust... it does seem to spool a little slow, but 22psi is quite a bit of boost

what RPM does it spool to 12psi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

On the dyno he was making the 12 psi at 4k in 3rd. On the interstate while cruising and he mashes it it looks like 5k.

I forgot to mention he is using an ebc that its set for 20psi on the dyno. It just peaked at 22 pounds for a moment.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

It should be even lower in 5th considering the amount of load. I get close to 4300 with my .63 AR turbo in 5th, but in 2-3-4 it's more like 4600-4800

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

That was the same thing I said. He is going to check everything out tomorrow though. Just makes no sense. Still pulls like all hell has broken loose after 5k though.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Beautiful graph, I would LOVE to have a torque curve like that. I bet its a real fun drive. Owner does sound like he has blown a coupler though, lol

Thanks for sharing!

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in