Ignition timing woes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Default Ignition timing woes

So I got my tune done a couple weeks ago and the car has been giving me an annoying problem. Every now and then when i left of the gas coming to a stop the car will either die or dip way low rpms around 300-400. I thought it may be the timing so I put a timing light on it and found it to be about 3-4 degrees retarded. The car runs great cruising, Idling and in boost. I realize that if I set the timing to 16 degrees it will effect the rest of the tune. I have talked to my tuner and he is more than happy to fix the situation.He said that he can advance the timing around the idle point and it should fix the issue. I have hondata so all he has to do is send me the new calibration. What are your thoughts?

Things I have checked
Cam Timing- Good
Vacuum Leaks- Good
Timing- Retarded
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
302hp/262TQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 16 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jew

i think that's a good place to start. you can edit the n/a maps in hondata yourself easily. just download the calibration that's on there already using smanager, save that to keep as a failsafe backup, then start playing with the timing in the rpm/vacuum range that this is happening in. do some datalogging while you're at it to see what the exact conditions are when this is happening.

Quote:
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.

jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 braxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

the SAME thing is happening to me, except when it happens to me, my belt squeaks LOUD as hell. its so annoying

braxtonsag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

can you post a screen shot?

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jew View Post
i think that's a good place to start. you can edit the n/a maps in hondata yourself easily. just download the calibration that's on there already using smanager, save that to keep as a failsafe backup, then start playing with the timing in the rpm/vacuum range that this is happening in. do some datalogging while you're at it to see what the exact conditions are when this is happening.
I have the original saved, I datalogged the condition and it is with the TPS at 0 percent and car is deaccelerating. I have been sending datalogs back and forth to the tuner.

302hp/262TQ

Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

If you had a vac leak it would idle high

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
If you had a vac leak it would idle high
Yea I was just ruling that out, tell me how to post a screen shot.lol

302hp/262TQ

Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Open up your tune on smanager, then push the 'PrintScreen' button on the keyboard. Then just paste it here, it will automatically copy the whole screen when you hit the printscreen button

edit, paste it in paint, save it then upload it to photobucket or whatever you use

Quote:

Last edited by hotrodj; 05-10-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

sounds like the IAC duty cycle is too low to me....

i'm not super familiar with sManager but i'm sure it has this somewhere, bump it up some, i'd almost garentee it will cure the problem. when it does i want some rep.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post

i'm not super familiar with sManager but i'm sure it has this somewhere, bump it up some, i'd almost garentee it will cure the problem. when it does i want some rep.
mine does it as well, seems usually only when the car is pretty warm. the first thing i done was bump up the duty cycle, didnt help in my case.

im hoping to see something in his ign map around the first and second column thats similar to mine.

are you running a bigger cam?

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 16 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jew

Quote:

i was going to suggest this, but it seemed more like curing a symptom and not the problem. i mean if it works, then it doesn't matter either way though.

i forget exactly where its at in smanager, but its in there. look for a slider bar for iacv duty cycle in one of the tabs of the parameters window.

Quote:
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.

jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

its under the idle parameter lol

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

you should be a good 2/3 way up the slider..... why so low?

jew it isnt a bandaid, at low duty cycle the IAC cannot react quickly to changes in airflow, so duty cycle needs increased.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

also just realized your "moving" idle speed needs increased. 950-1050rpm is a good range at full temperature.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

used to be only at 1/4 on the stock motor.

i figured close to the reg idle speed would be good for moving, but i will try. ty! 4 eyes are better than 2 lol

what do yall think of the 'ign controlled idle' parameter?

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
you should be a good 2/3 way up the slider..... why so low?

jew it isnt a bandaid, at low duty cycle the IAC cannot react quickly to changes in airflow, so duty cycle needs increased.
What about if you shut your car off and then try and restart it? and it dont want to start, Car is not over heating but its warm and maybe heat soaked? how do you fix warm start up? J.W
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tried to do the print screen shit but it wont work on my computer. I might be able to just take a pic.

Edit here ya go

302hp/262TQ

Last edited by crxlifer21; 05-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
used to be only at 1/4 on the stock motor.

i figured close to the reg idle speed would be good for moving, but i will try. ty! 4 eyes are better than 2 lol

what do yall think of the 'ign controlled idle' parameter?
the ign idle control looks fine, i've honestly never messed with that because i've NEVER had an issue with idle speed after a tune. basically timing makes torque, when idle speed falls ignition timing is added to make more torque and bring idle speed back up quickly (opposite happens when its too high thats why there is 2 tables). if there is an idle issue its almost always fixable with just the normal tables and iac duty cycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16racereg6 View Post
What about if you shut your car off and then try and restart it? and it dont want to start, Car is not over heating but its warm and maybe heat soaked? how do you fix warm start up? J.W
no clue what you are asking. water temperature isnt changing when the car is off, IAT offset is what you are talking about, but the heatsoak or high IATs have nothing to do with what we are talking about.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Yes i went off topic, lol i will PM you sorry about that OP

no clue what you are asking. water temperature isnt changing when the car is off, IAT offset is what you are talking about, but the heatsoak or high IATs have nothing to do with what we are talking about.[/QUOTE]
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in