Blowing smoke like crazy (oil) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Blowing smoke like crazy (oil)

So what im dealing with now is depressing as hell. The motor is a d16zc (sohc vtec) 2,000 miles ago I rebuilt the block, pistons, rings, rods, bearings. I went out and spent an ass ton of money on a "safe" tune which put it at 215hp. I broke in the motor no boost for the first 1,000 miles, changed the oil at 500, and again at 1,000

yesterday I come home and smoke is pouring out from under the hood and its definitely oil. I let it run for a little bit and it keeps getting worse. Its not coming out of my catch can, there is actually no oil in the catch can either, its coming out of the valve cover right under the oil cap.

I look at the back of the car and it had blown soot all over the garage floor and there is what appears to be water slowly dripping from the exhaust.

The longer it ran it started to bog down and almost died dropping the idle down to about 200ish then back to normal. There was a slight ticking, but it wasnt very loud.

The strange thing? I checked the oil and it was about half a quart high? I just changed it about 150 miles ago. I let it all drain out even went in the house for awhile, added 3.5 quarts(didnt change the filter), let it run, checked it and it was perfectly on the top dot.

Anyways, Im looking for some ideas of what might be wrong. I wont have access to a leak down tester or compression tester till tuesday so im just looking for some input.

Last time when my ringlands cracked I was geting minimal smoke on idle, and it was coming from the valve cover breather and it would only smoke really bad when i was driving.. this time its almost looked like my garage was on fire from it sitting there idling so im praying its valve seals or something that doesnt involve rebuilding my damn block again, because I just finished doing that crap.

thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lunareg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Its leaking from the valve cover?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

It seems like the smoke is coming from the valve cover right under the oil cap. I cant be 100% sure but it looks that way. I pulled the hoses off my catch can and there is no smoke coming from the breather or the black box where the lines are ran. But its smoking like a bitch. The valve cover gasket is new, but that shouldn't matter because it shouldn't be smoking in the first place

Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

if its smoking at the tail its not coming from the VC...turbo may b shot???????
mooze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Turbos fine.. this is happening when I'm idling. And smoke is coming from the exhuast and the valve cover. It comes out of the oil cap when its open as well

Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

If theres BLUE smoke coming out of the exhaust I would guess either a valve seal is shot or rings went bad. Is the oil dripping onto the exhaust causing the smoke?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

The smoke is grayish/blue, smells like burning bbq. I didn't see oil leaking from anywhere. But it was a lot of smoke. Like I said, when my ringlands where cracked(3 of 4) there was hardly any smoke at idle, this is quite a bit

Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

grayish blue? sure your burning oil??? have you checked ur coolant levels? maybe you blew a HG?

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

I thought about hg, the coolant level in the resovior hadn't went down, but I wasn't drving for long.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

I'm betting HG. But that's just me. What kind is on there now?

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

if its thick toxic blue/white smoke then deffinet HG. but if its blue/clear then i would bet burning oil from either a valve stem seal that popped off/tore or a oil ring let loose.

It doesnt take hardly any water burn to make a lot of smoke. Trust me, i am doctor

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

i would guess valve seals or guides...

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

compression and leakdown is the only way to know anything.

what is your PCV/catchcan setup?

do you have a wideband? i ask because high oil level is probably because its running so rich fuel is getting past the rings entering the crankcase. this will cause your rings to die in a quick way.

valve stem seals or guides would cause alot of smoke after a long decel or idle, and rings will smoke almost all the time, more smoke at higher loads.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

I just have a hose coming off of valve cover breather to a vented catch can and I have a hose off the black box venting to the atmosphere.

I dont have a wideband, I would hope that my tune didnt get thrown off in a 1,000 miles, but I suppose anything is possible huh.

Im praying to a valve problem... it took me 2 months to rebuild my motor last time since i work 6 days a week.. i just wanna drive my car >.<

oh and the HG is just oem from honda

Last edited by lunareg; 05-06-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

I called up my tuner today just see what he thinks. He said that getting gas into the oil wouldnt be very likely, and I had my valve cover off and it didnt smell like gas at all. So that leave coolant in my oil to raise the oil level that high. so he said without looking at it or any leakdown test he thinks its the HG.

Im praying its a headgasket.. pulling my motor is about the last thing i want to do right now. I should be able to get my hands on a leakdown tester and compression tester tmr

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

So today i started it up after a week and now theres no smoke coming from the engine bay anymore, but still smoke from the exhaust, and it is dripping lots of water out of the exhaust pipe. The coolant level is normal, when i pull the oil cap off theres no smoke, but it smells like a snowmobile almost coming out of there.

I also pulled the plugs and they arent wet, pretty black, but not wet

and my oil still looks like oil, and the coolant still looks like coolant.. im so stumped

Last edited by lunareg; 05-17-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

If it's running and you pull the oil cap off oil will be coming out of it sporadically, because your cam is slinging that shtuff around. I have seen too much oil do this. Also your exhaust naturally draws moisture when it cools, so dont be so suprised about the dripping water. Also your exhaust will produce water vapor.

Why change the oil if you are not going to change the filter? That's like taking a shower then putting your nasty gym underoos back on. Think about it. Also, oil filters are like $5. Don't eat lunch for one day, or dont stop by Starbucks, and BAM, money for oil filter.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

This does not make sense. Your missing something important here.

If oil is leaking directly onto the exhaust it does not take much to make a lot of smoke.

Are you checking water at the overflow reservoir or the radiator header tank. Check at the radiator when the engine is cold. It is normal to be down 1/4"or so due to expansion and contraction as temps change.

Compression/leakdown tests will help.

It may be a simple oil or water leak onto the exhaust.

Exhaust pipes normally leak water at times as when you burn fuel you make a lot of water plus caron dioxide. The water can condense in the exhaust and build up until enough heat boils it out or it rusts through and leaks or a pipe joint develops a leak from the stresses of driving.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mondo9psi

just pull the f*ing head off. 20 minutes tops and youll figure it out bro
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to whitie Send a message via Yahoo to whitie

is the O2 white or black? black means ur running too rich and white means u have internal coolant leaks leading to the head gasket failure. just a guess, but maybe u didn't break in the rings long enough.

don't hate, appreciate!
whitie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in