Ford probe intercooler ?'s - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Ford probe intercooler ?'s

How's it goin everyone? I've had a ford probe intercooler laying around for quite a while and have been tossing up the idea with running it instead of my johnny race car fmi. The car it will be going on is a del sol with a Z6 and a garrett t3 pushing in the 200whp(8-10psi) range. I understand that the fmi will be more efficient. However, considering the fact that the del sol only has one grill/opening for air to feed the radiator and intercooler, i like the idea of mounting the probe intercooler where the a/c would normally be. That way, both the intercooler and radiator would not block each other would have their own space for air to be "fed" through them.

The probe intercooler does have fairly small inlet/outlets and was wondering if how critical would it be for me to get them enlarged to something like 2" in. and 2.5" out. Or would i be okay with running pipes in those sizes mentioned bottlenecked to couplers that would fit the IC?

Also, i have been reading that ppl recommend to modify the end tanks
somehow because the inlets/outlets aren't efficient due to the direction in which they "point." can anyone elaborate on this subject as well?

Thanks, and all feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Most people right now, will tell you to ditch it and get a ebay front mount. (by the way, I haven't heard the name Johnny Racecar in years. lol) The Probe intercooler with the bottle necks you are talking about will be minimal. You can run 2 inch intercooler piping and still meet your goal. Would the intercooler and piping be ideal? No. But I would run it, but i also ran a rx7 topmount as a fmic in 2001.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply slowturbocx. I'm one of those ppl that believe in the ebay FMI's as well but JRC was supposedly the shit back in the days for the price and i got a pretty good deal on it(back in the days) as well. Sadly, this is how long i've been trying to boost my car lol. Anyway, i figured runnin the probe IC would be...okay, at best but i needed to make sure that it wasnt goin to be sub-par for how i was ganna run it. I also liked the fact that it wouldnt be nearly as noticeable as a FMIC. I know there's always SMIC's but...fuck that lol.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to sloK

if i had the probe intercooler sitting around and i was shooting for your power goals i would completly use it. yeah the charge piping wont be the nicest looking thing in the world, but its a free intercooler lol. it will cool more than enough for your set up... hell it might even cool better than some of the ebay fmic's lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 ar151666 is learning the way of the Dar151666 is learning the way of the D

I plan on using a VW 1.8 T side mount when I do my setup sometime this year. I'm super pumped!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloK View Post
if i had the probe intercooler sitting around and i was shooting for your power goals i would completly use it. yeah the charge piping wont be the nicest looking thing in the world, but its a free intercooler lol. it will cool more than enough for your set up... hell it might even cool better than some of the ebay fmic's lol
That's EXACTLY what i was thinkin. If folks can get away with side mounts tucked in the wheel well, there couldn't be any way the probe IC wouldn't be able to handle my power goals. I think that with a lil creativety, the charge piping should look just fine. I'm planning on painting all of them black anyway w/ the same stuff i'll be painting the valve cover with. I'm shootin to make the whole setup look as stock as possible. I'm even ganna try and run the factory HF mani heat shield on the manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in