Using silencer in exhaust bad for turbo? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Default Using silencer in exhaust bad for turbo?

Hey guys, im going to be getting retuned tomorrow, so i will driving over to Co Springs which is about 6 hours from where i live and over two 10,000ft mountain passes...if i put the silencer in my muffler do you think it could potentially harm the engine and turbo?? im not planning on running it hard at all, i just dont want to deal with the highway drone for 6 hours...opinions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Na, you should be good. I'd try to get a flow through siliencer if possible and definitely keep an eye on coolant temps/under hood temps. If the siliencer builds to much back pressure it could cause both of those temps to rise, but I don't see you causing yourself any damage as long as it stays cool.

Are you concerned about getting your car tuned at a place that has drastically different air density than your home?

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post

Are you concerned about getting your car tuned at a place that has drastically different air density than your home?
No, this is the closest tuner we have to my town, and where my car was tuned before, I just trailered it there last time.

Last edited by xxjdmcivicek9xx; 04-15-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

u should be fine. if it wasme, i would leave the silencer out. turbos muffle the noise a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Cool man, glad to hear you're getting it tuned.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
u should be fine. if it wasme, i would leave the silencer out. turbos muffle the noise a lot.
^^ this. Why do you need a silencer on a turbo car? turbo + resonator + muffler = very very quiet.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
^^ this. Why do you need a silencer on a turbo car? turbo + resonator + muffler = very very quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
i agree with you that the turbo does muffle the sound...i dont have an issue with it DD my car around town at 1500rpm for short periods of time, Im only using it for the drive on the highway to Colorado Springs, when i get there i will take it out, have my car Retuned for the bigger turbo back up to 25psi, put the silencer back in and drive it home...then i will take it out when i get home. i just dont enjoy my exhaust note at 4000rpm for 6hrs of driving thats all.

Last edited by xxjdmcivicek9xx; 04-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
i agree with you that the turbo does muffle the sound...i dont have an issue with it DD my car around town at 1500rpm for short periods of time, Im only using it for the drive on the highway to Colorado Springs, when i get there i will take it out, have my car Retuned for the bigger turbo back up to 25psi, put the silencer back in and drive it home...then i will take it out when i get home. i just dont enjoy my exhaust note at 4000rpm for 6hrs of driving thats all.
Just drive with the silencer out. Your car cant be "THAT" loud.

I drive with fullt 3" turbo-back, no cat, no resonator, and straight through 3" muffler on my civ, and its not that bad at all on the highway.

But if you insist on putting it in, I dont think it will cause any harm, as long as your not trying to do crazy 25psi pulls with it in lol

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah my exhaust just likes to hit this really annoying pitch at around 75mph...but im not planning on doing any high rpm pulls on the way there or back so.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Don't drive that fast? Or, drive faster.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I bought some earplugs for my MP3 player/ipod that keeps most sounds from the outside out. They are pure win whenever I go for longer trips in the civic

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 guitarplyr smells like Boratguitarplyr smells like Boratguitarplyr smells like Boratguitarplyr smells like Boratguitarplyr smells like Boratguitarplyr smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to guitarplyr Send a message via MSN to guitarplyr

lol isn't that illegal?

Quote:
i have a fram filter but im switching to a mugen for the next oil change.
Quote:
I guess a chip may be able to bump those numbers some, but still. These cars are not lightweights with all the modern CrashSafetyAirbagZomgItzaSuburban crap...not to mention the boy racer aero add ons.
Quote:
my tach gets stuck every once in a while....i just punch it.
guitarplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinar View Post
I bought some earplugs for my MP3 player/ipod that keeps most sounds from the outside out. They are pure win whenever I go for longer trips in the civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplyr View Post
lol isn't that illegal?
Yes 100% is in all states. Come on steniar you gotta be able to hear the road, other cars and thigns around you.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Atreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Are we really talking about what is legal and not on a boosted civic?

"Sometimes they complain. 'You know, the lower half income people, they don’t pay any income tax & what are we going to do about it?' And I say, we’re half way there!" - Ron Paul

"I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages." - Immortal Technique
Atreidies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Unless Steinar lives in Oslo, there's really not that many other cars on the road.
Unless it's summer and there's German tourists (Does Norway get overrun with Germans like parts of Sweden does?).
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysweed View Post
Unless Steinar lives in Oslo, there's really not that many other cars on the road.
Unless it's summer and there's German tourists (Does Norway get overrun with Germans like parts of Sweden does?).
Haha, yes, the germans comes to Norway, too

If I dont turn on the music I hear pretty much the same as without the plugs, just everything has a lower volume. The exhaust is louder than most sounds anyway (like every other civic with non stock exhaus), but its not like I cant hear stuff around me.

And yes, I'm in a boosted civic, with no cat, and most of my suspension setup is not roadlegal here anyway...

Function > Form

Last edited by steinar; 04-16-2011 at 01:12 AM.
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

I've driven 15 hrs from Cincinnati to cocoa beach with my apex-I n1 and didn't have that much of a headache. But I'm sure it won't hurt anything if you don't beatbon it.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

the silencer WILL NOT hurt a thing. its actually better than running small exhaust because the restriction is so far downstream instead of just past the turbo.

i run a full 3" turbo back with resonator and 3" straight through muffler, above 3000rpm it does drone, so when i make trips i install the silencer, and its much quieter, but its so restrictive compared to open that i loose 3psi.

it certainly isnt going to cause any problems, no heating or anything else.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in