Honda D Series Forum banner

Using silencer in exhaust bad for turbo?

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  schardbody 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im going to be getting retuned tomorrow, so i will driving over to Co Springs which is about 6 hours from where i live and over two 10,000ft mountain passes...if i put the silencer in my muffler do you think it could potentially harm the engine and turbo?? im not planning on running it hard at all, i just dont want to deal with the highway drone for 6 hours...opinions??

#2 ·
Na, you should be good. I'd try to get a flow through siliencer if possible and definitely keep an eye on coolant temps/under hood temps. If the siliencer builds to much back pressure it could cause both of those temps to rise, but I don't see you causing yourself any damage as long as it stays cool.

Are you concerned about getting your car tuned at a place that has drastically different air density than your home?

#3 · (Edited)
Are you concerned about getting your car tuned at a place that has drastically different air density than your home?
No, this is the closest tuner we have to my town, and where my car was tuned before, I just trailered it there last time.

#9 ·
yeah my exhaust just likes to hit this really annoying pitch at around 75mph...but im not planning on doing any high rpm pulls on the way there or back so.

#12 ·
lol isn't that illegal?

#14 ·
Are we really talking about what is legal and not on a boosted civic?

Reactions: steinar
#16 · (Edited)
Haha, yes, the germans comes to Norway, too :)

If I dont turn on the music I hear pretty much the same as without the plugs, just everything has a lower volume. The exhaust is louder than most sounds anyway (like every other civic with non stock exhaus), but its not like I cant hear stuff around me.

And yes, I'm in a boosted civic, with no cat, and most of my suspension setup is not roadlegal here anyway... :)

#17 ·
I've driven 15 hrs from Cincinnati to cocoa beach with my apex-I n1 and didn't have that much of a headache. But I'm sure it won't hurt anything if you don't beatbon it.

#18 ·
the silencer WILL NOT hurt a thing. its actually better than running small exhaust because the restriction is so far downstream instead of just past the turbo.

i run a full 3" turbo back with resonator and 3" straight through muffler, above 3000rpm it does drone, so when i make trips i install the silencer, and its much quieter, but its so restrictive compared to open that i loose 3psi.

it certainly isnt going to cause any problems, no heating or anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.