Advice for turbo selection - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Default Advice for turbo selection

I'm going to up grade the turbo on my hillclimb/autox build.
here's the build
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ce-engine.html

My competition just upped his engine to 255-260 hp. So, I'm going to need more than the 180hp I'm putting down with the gt1752 on the hills. I want a quick spooling turbo that will hold until 7000rpm. I would like to have full spool by 3000 or so rpm. 250 to 300 hp is the goal. I have a t3 and t25 manifold to use. I'm thinking a t28 like a disco potato would get me to were I need to be. Would this turbo spool quick enough?
T25/T28 TURBO WASTEGATE NISSAN S13 S14 CA18DET SR20DET | eBay
I know it's an ebay turbo, but I can't see spending 1k on new turbo. Hell, I could buy an extra one of these to take along with me to the races at that price. Any other suggestions for a turbo? Any advice would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Fiesta ST

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I'm about to us that turbo check my build theard for infor, it has a link to were I got mines from. It is very well build and was balcenced. Friend is running one in his 240sx. Got mines from dirffoumra or seomthing like that. Link n my sign.

Should be fully spooled by 3k

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Disco Potato?
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysweed View Post
Disco Potato?
Old school name for a type of gt28

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Rep Power: 17 jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!
jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Import tuner pushed a stock sr20 with a t28 to 280whp iirc... Might be cheaper.than a disco potato but is running out.of breath at that point. I dont have a compressor.map on it atm, might needa do somemath.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

i have my old ebay t3/t4 57trim in the fs section...link to turbo

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 flyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatness
Send a message via MSN to flyinryan122

Disco potato would be an excellent choice. My buddies car made 250hp and just over 280tq. We also maxed out a t28 on an sr20 in a 240, at around 280

Golden Eagle, AFI Turbo, Precision Turbo, TiAL, Hondata, CG Racing.

Quote:
Our goals are to fuck shit up with a single cam
flyinryan122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

My DSM buddy runs a ported T25 turbo in his built 2nd gen chassis. he pushes over 25 psi, might be over 30. he hits 12s on slicks in that heavy ass boat

get a t25, have it rebuilt by PROFESSIONALS. port the housing, and crank the damn boost up.

everyone likes power 2500-8000 rpm dont they?

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

T28 should be tits and it spools fast my friend used to run this on his z6 it was a blast.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

This (gt2560r): S15 SR20DET TURBO 240SX JDM OEM NEW | eBay

Took me to 240whp @ 15psi on my low comp (8.4-1) setup, with a wide powerband (full boost from ~3600rpm). It is real garret turbo. BB gives awesome responce, perfect for what you want. Way cheaper than the other garrett bb turbo's I have seen out there too

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

The first turbo linked is not going to be worth much for you, man. You are going to be pushing everything in your car to the max, and Steinar gave you a really, really awesome find. That's one of the best compromises for what you want in a compact and reliable package.

The other option I would recommend is the Disco Potato (aka the GT2860R, the R being important). It's bigger than the Nissan turbo, but won't spool badly and will hold well to redline, better than the Nissan turbo which isn't bad at all.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
The other option I would recommend is the Disco Potato (aka the GT2860R, the R being important). It's bigger than the Nissan turbo, but won't spool badly and will hold well to redline, better than the Nissan turbo which isn't bad at all.
Yeah I know. This is exactly what I want. I just don't want to spend the money for it. I might have to though.

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

hey buddy....the only advice i can give on knock off turbos is that godspeed has some quality control.....not anything like garrett/percision/ bog/ etc.....but some is better than none with generic ebay turbo's

they also come with a 1 year warrenty against defects as long as its installed by a ase cert. mechanic, i dont know about you but i know a couple that would print me a invoice for installation for a wopper value meal.....if you catch my drift

240sx s13 s14 sr20 sr20det gt28 t28 turbo charger 350hp | eBay

i think this may be right up your ally for what your looking for

i have had a buddy recommend them for people on a budget....all the godspeed turbos i know of never had a problem and are still in use today.....not one failure

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

Last edited by scottdh20; 04-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.
scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
hey buddy....the only advice i can give on knock off turbos is that godspeed has some quality control.....not anything like garrett/percision/ bog/ etc.....but some is better than none with generic ebay turbo's

they also come with a 1 year warrenty against defects as long as its installed by a ase cert. mechanic, i dont know about you but i know a couple that would print me a invoice for installation for a wopper value meal.....if you catch my drift

240sx s13 s14 sr20 sr20det gt28 t28 turbo charger 350hp | eBay

i think this may be right up your ally for what your looking for

i have had a buddy recommend them for people on a budget....all the godspeed turbos i know of never had a problem and are still in use today.....not one failure
I'm ASE certified

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 DILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
I'm going to up grade the turbo on my hillclimb/autox build.
here's the build
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ce-engine.html

My competition just upped his engine to 255-260 hp. So, I'm going to need more than the 180hp I'm putting down with the gt1752 on the hills. I want a quick spooling turbo that will hold until 7000rpm. I would like to have full spool by 3000 or so rpm. 250 to 300 hp is the goal. I have a t3 and t25 manifold to use. I'm thinking a t28 like a disco potato would get me to were I need to be. Would this turbo spool quick enough?
T25/T28 TURBO WASTEGATE NISSAN S13 S14 CA18DET SR20DET | eBay
I know it's an ebay turbo, but I can't see spending 1k on new turbo. Hell, I could buy an extra one of these to take along with me to the races at that price. Any other suggestions for a turbo? Any advice would be appreciated.
You've seen my dyno plots. That is @ 10 psi. I'm sure I could up the boost some in the little T25 and get a bit more power. I'm at 215 now. 250 is probably doable with my current parts, but you've also seen that the T25 is running out of breath up top.

I've never hill climbed, but I imagine mid range is going to be way more important than top end. If that is the case, the T25 may get you there. The T28 will certainly get you closer to the 300 mark, and it won't spool bad, but I don't know if it will make people say "HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A 4 CYLINDER!?!?!" like they do with mine after they see it dig out of a corner.

I don't think any of these is a bad answer. And you know better than most I'm sure that engine is only a small fraction of what it takes to make these fast in competition. If the guy who stepped it up can't put it down, can't turn, etc., then he could have 1000 HP and it won't matter.
DILYSI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

The best answer would be for Dave to reveal what turbo he'll be using next.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 DILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the community

[dana carvey as george bush]
Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture...
[/dana carvey as george bush]

DILYSI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILYSI Dave View Post
You've seen my dyno plots. That is @ 10 psi. I'm sure I could up the boost some in the little T25 and get a bit more power. I'm at 215 now. 250 is probably doable with my current parts, but you've also seen that the T25 is running out of breath up top.

I've never hill climbed, but I imagine mid range is going to be way more important than top end. If that is the case, the T25 may get you there. The T28 will certainly get you closer to the 300 mark, and it won't spool bad, but I don't know if it will make people say "HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A 4 CYLINDER!?!?!" like they do with mine after they see it dig out of a corner.

I don't think any of these is a bad answer. And you know better than most I'm sure that engine is only a small fraction of what it takes to make these fast in competition. If the guy who stepped it up can't put it down, can't turn, etc., then he could have 1000 HP and it won't matter.
He can drive. He's an old road racer/autoxer. He has areo now too

2014 Fiesta ST

Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 cdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
My DSM buddy runs a ported T25 turbo in his built 2nd gen chassis. he pushes over 25 psi, might be over 30. he hits 12s on slicks in that heavy ass boat

get a t25, have it rebuilt by PROFESSIONALS. port the housing, and crank the damn boost up.

everyone likes power 2500-8000 rpm dont they?
thats one pissed off t25 ill promise you that
cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
formerly Kit88

Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....Hugo Boost Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 76 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Hugo Boost

try to find a greddy 18g turbo, nice spool and I think It will give you the numbers you are looking for.

If Im not wrong, I saw one on sale here.

Thanks to my sponsors:

FJ Distributors, Special Project Motorsports (Kiwi) ,Performance Porting,Transzex, Alexracing, RSM motorsports, Go-Autoworks, D-series.org, SpeedFactory, Bisimoto
Hugo Boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in