boost control issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default boost control issue

I have a d16y7 in an 88 ef hatch it has a mitsu 13g turbo charger on it with a 14psi spring from what i am told. Right now I just got it running again and i want to limit the boost to like 5 psi due to stock tuning and half a tank of cali 87 in it. I have a very basic manual boost controller (90 degree hose connector with a checkball and a bolt.

I just installed it after it hitting 10-12 psi on my initial runs. I installed it inline between the manifold and the wastegate. i installed it with the bolt out (displacing the checkball and creating an air leak).

here is my issue (possibly due to install error as i have never installed one before) after installing it i did another run and it went to the same 10-12 psi momentarily.

is it possibly installed incorrectly or do i need to have the checkball blocking the air passage?
jester1614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

ok after watching a video it seems that I might have misinterpreted what this does, it looks like this is to increase boost above the wastegate spring pressure.

is there any way to drop boost/lower the spring pressure other than a different spring?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sloK

if the internal wastegate is adjustable then you will have to adjust that to lower the psi your turbo will put out. if not then you must get a lower psi internal wastegate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

do you know if the 13g wastgate actuator is adjustable?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to sloK

off the top of my head, no i dont know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Idk what to say about the Boost issue, But Drive the Car OUT of boost untill the 87 is gone re FIll. with "93" or w.e oct you want to tune on. GL
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Mitsubishi turbos boost creep. The waste gate ports kind of small. What i did to my old 16g is hone it out a bit. May help, may not. But first i'd check if you can adjust it like other people said. I dont think the 13g's can, but doesn't hurt to check.
Oh and my friends and i have had problems with the cheap boost controllers. If you get a new one id try a turboxs one.
Racer Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester1614 View Post
I have a d16y7 in an 88 ef hatch it has a mitsu 13g turbo charger on it with a 14psi spring from what i am told. Right now I just got it running again and i want to limit the boost to like 5 psi due to stock tuning and half a tank of cali 87 in it. I have a very basic manual boost controller (90 degree hose connector with a checkball and a bolt.
NO.

You DO NOT under any circumstances run ANY boost on the stock ECU. It cannot take even 2 psi, let alone 5 or 12.
The fact that youre out driving the car like this and it hasnt blown up is a fucking miracle.

We cant help you if you dont first take care of the basic stuff. I dont know who told you that was okay to do, but you obviously have done zero research if you think that is okay by any stretch.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

ka-booom!

id pull the waste gate arm OFF of the flapper so it will be open all the time. that should limit boost to only a few psi at high engine speeds/load
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

i dont get it a half of moron can chip an ecu....a chip kit w/ base map is what $35 or so....should you race and beat the shit out of your car on a base map......no....will it help protect it from blowing yes....will it still be slow because they pull ashit ton of timing and dump a ton of fuel....yes

do what danz said if you must drive your car until your chip kit arrives

i dont know how to make this any easier

Xenocron Tuning: Chipping Kit w/ SST Chip (OBD1 ECUs) USDM Kit & JDM Kit #OBD1-SST
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...chip-p-59.html

make sure to give them as much info on your set-up as possible....the more detailed the better the basemap will be

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Indeed.
Yah, its not good to boost on a basemap, but its infinitely more intelligent than running on a stock ECU. AT least with a basemap you know the ignition is retarded dynamically for boost and more than likely there is enough fuel...
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
NO.

You DO NOT under any circumstances run ANY boost on the stock ECU. It cannot take even 2 psi, let alone 5 or 12.
The fact that youre out driving the car like this and it hasnt blown up is a fucking miracle.

We cant help you if you dont first take care of the basic stuff. I dont know who told you that was okay to do, but you obviously have done zero research if you think that is okay by any stretch.

Ok, I am not driving this thing in this condition, I finished putting the turbo system back on, and have taken it for 2 test drives (second gear runs) for a total of probably 1/4-1/2 of a mile for both trips (not all in boost) total with the turbo system.

I am a car guy but hondas are not my forte,I didnt realize that the boost threshold on the honda ecu's were so low, I work on trans ams and camaros, and on those cars the ecu can compensate for a moderate amount of boost without risking damage to the motor.

I am here to ask questions and thats what i am doing, I dont appreciate the condescending attitude. Its better to come here and ask questions than to not ask questions in my opionion
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
i dont get it a half of moron can chip an ecu....a chip kit w/ base map is what $35 or so....should you race and beat the shit out of your car on a base map......no....will it help protect it from blowing yes....will it still be slow because they pull ashit ton of timing and dump a ton of fuel....yes

do what danz said if you must drive your car until your chip kit arrives

i dont know how to make this any easier

Xenocron Tuning: Chipping Kit w/ SST Chip (OBD1 ECUs) USDM Kit & JDM Kit #OBD1-SST
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...chip-p-59.html

make sure to give them as much info on your set-up as possible....the more detailed the better the basemap will be

thanks man i appreciate The help. I was starting to look into a basemap for my ecu as it is already chipped but with stock y7 programming to try and pass emissions in az. I drove the car out here to cali with the turbo system removed.

is this the type of info i need to give them

88 civic hatch
d16y7
13 g turbo with 14 psi spring
evo 8 intercooler
440 cc injectors (currently running stock injector)
stock honda map sensor
stock Exhaust (original exhaust)

any other info that i need to include
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in