what would you do? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default what would you do?

i am the owner of a 1995 civic ex coupe with 205,000 miles on the original tired d16z6 and auto tranny. The engine is burning a bit of oil, about a quart every 2-3 weeks. I want more power out of my car, however i understand that the current engine and transmission are not up to the task...

a local engine swap shop jeimport performance in baltimore quoted me 5,500 for a dohc gsr swap. My questions are, What kind of price would a sohc d16z6 swap with a manual tranny cost, labor included, would it be significantly cheaper than getting the dohc gsr swap leaving me money left over to TURBO? My goal is to have a mild reliable daily driver with about 175whp. im looking to spend 4 grand max, however i understand that performance and budget often do not go well with each other. I f anybody could give me there opinion about my options please let me know. In maryland here it seems my choices are limited. if anyone knows of a shop that does good work im md, pa, del, jersey, va, please let me know about it.
Hamburgler1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 scketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eaglescketch is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Its always a ton of money when you have a shop do work. If you don't want to tackle the job yourself, I would find an individual around you that has experience swapping these motors and have him do it. He can save you a ton of money.

JDM B16A, 5spd LSD trans, ecu - $2,099 shipped.

install - I'm guessing anywhere between $300-500

Now your sitting at a little over half your budget and you have your power goal. You can definitely get axles, linkage, mounts, etc for the remainder of you budget!

ORRRR: You can always rebuild and boost the z6 for I'm guessing up to 250-275hp at a shop for under 4k... this way harder on you because you research and find what parts you need/want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who drives your life?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOHC ZC POWERED 86 HATCH down but not out
Remember kids; professionals built the Titanic but amateurs built the ark

Last edited by scketch; 04-10-2011 at 09:40 AM.
scketch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

well your cheapest route would be to rebuild the motor you have now and do MT swap..get a SI tranny for 150-350$..you can get a turbo bottom end kit off of fj distro for around 600$ (damn good deal) and then take it to a machine shop and have them put the block together..shouldnt be exspensive at all..lookin around 500$ thats if you get the standard 75mm bore vitaras with the package..there for they dont have to bore the block over they will just hone it..might wanna get the crank polished and balanced as well..the head just get presure checked and cleaned up..then youll def have some moneys left over to peice a cheap little turbo kit together with about 2 grand for sure..but dont forget your gonna want a tune then..its only gonna get more exspencive lol..

Tiger Japanese - Home

Good deals with motors if you wanna do a swap ^^

Theres also plenty more sites as well..
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Fuck man, for 5500 you could just buy a car that's swapped already, and much nicer.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....

yea, I was just thinking the same thing. You could get a nice car for that much cash.
Seems like it would be a better idea to me if you are working with something on the rough side.

Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 d16y8guy is learning the way of the Dd16y8guy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

5500$ wtf here in south Florida you can get a eg on boost looking really nice for like 4500. and most of the time they have b series in them.
d16y8guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

thanks everyone for your input. i felt that 5,5oo was pretty steep too.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

thanks for the info much appreciated !
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I mean, if you are doing just motor stuff 5500 will take you A LONG way with a dseries. Hell, 5500 could have motor and some body work.

Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

pretty steep..you mean very steep haha
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in