Small Turbo/Big Engine Question. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default Small Turbo/Big Engine Question.

So i've seen builds on here that use small tdo4 turbos to get quick spool....my question is does that also work with performance turbos? Like say if I put a precision 62mm on my 5.0L engine. I was looking to get an old technology T70 but for a few more hundred I could get one of those BB billet precision ones with new technology that support the same amount of HP that the old T70s do. I'm just wondering what the experts on here think. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

it will feel like a stock turbo volvo or something, a good bit of midrange torque, but the small turbo becomes more of a restriction on the top end. you'd be better off with a medium sized turbo, or twin babies.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

too small of a turbo on too large of an engine causes a few issues.
back-pressure, compressor surge, turbos overheating, turbos running out of topend.

There is a formula out there to determine your turbo based on a few factors.
1. displacement of engine
2. airflow or cfm
3. powerband, topend power or lowend power
4. power goals

usually you take the top factors and compare the results to a turbos efficiency island plot.

The most simplest way with a 5.0 would easily be a twin turbo setup so you would need to plot out 2 smaller turbos.

Imo I go with a larger twin scroll single turbo and split the pulses between both exhaust manifolds. Twin scroll will spool faster and a larger single turbo will run more efficiently and cooler. There is more fabrication with that setup though.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy! Well i just found the T4 page on precisions website, let me do some research. There's no room for twin turbos in my chassis so a single will need to be used. Not looking for crazy HP just 450 at the wheels. I kinda want fast spooling though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Then use a twin-scroll exhaust housing. Excellent spool and more flow capacity up top.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

For the most part, you need to make sure that the hotside will not choke your engine. Putting a t3 turbine on a v8 is fail, unless there are 2 of them

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

This is gonna sound ape shit crazy, but I seriously hear people complain about spool on the mustang forums when running a single 62mm turbo...

I wouldnt say a precision 62mm would be "too small", but it certainly would be on the small side.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Then use a twin-scroll exhaust housing. Excellent spool and more flow capacity up top.
That's what i'm planning! Which side is the best for the front scroll? I can have one header exit right at the turbo, but the other will have to travel around 3-4 feet after the collector to get to the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
For the most part, you need to make sure that the hotside will not choke your engine. Putting a t3 turbine on a v8 is fail, unless there are 2 of them
I honestly had no clue as to what housing those turbos used. But if it a T3 then yes that's small!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
This is gonna sound ape shit crazy, but I seriously hear people complain about spool on the mustang forums when running a single 62mm turbo...
Yeah i've seen most of the street turbo kits for foxbodies use small 60mm turbos. But the kits have Shitty ass kit exhaust systems. That's where the late spool comes from i'm guessing. So much heat is lost trough them. Also 5.0/5.8 stock heads flow very poorly, well when you compare them to the Mod heads or any other 4 valve head for that matter.

Last edited by maverick75; 04-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I think imma start saving up for this bad boy.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Street...r---PT6765/241

Precision 6765
• 67mm inducer compressor wheel
- T4 Divided .84

Cant decide on weather I should get the
- "S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet or
- "H" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/3" outlet

It seems small, but its rated for 755HP.

My scat rods are only rated to 700HP, and the late roller block I will be using is only safe to 600.
So i'll be happy in the 400-550 range.

Last edited by maverick75; 06-28-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in