home made intercooler piping. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org ğ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction ğ Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default home made intercooler piping.

it took some time and sucks that i only had a hacksaw but i got it done. didnt have any clamps either but it held together well for fitting purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.JPG
Views:	13953
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	27441  

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 04-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

cool stuff man, looks good

crx hf racecar build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

Ill probally polish them but im thinking i might wrap them with header wrap. these pipes absorb heat. they got real hot just from being in the sun.

ALWAYS CLEAN PIPING AFTER CUTTING, THERES LOTS OF METAL FLAKES IN THERE !!!!!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 DILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the communityDILYSI Dave  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Clamp that shit. It WILL leak if you don't.
DILYSI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

dnice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussie

^werd, good stuff though
2014 Honda Grom
dnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

hell yeah man looks good i got tht same hf maniold too lol
1993 Ford Ranger 9in's of Lift 35s
-boostedeg6- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i didnt clamp it cause im not even boostin yet, still have a bit to go. mainly clutch, get downpipe made, than internals swapped out. engine came with PM7's already installed when i baught the car . I will be running LS rods, that i need to get machined with P28 pistons. ARP head studs of course. going to run chipped ecu on dsm 450 blue tops. my car was acting up and baby is due at the end of the month so this project has been draggin for months now, but im not rushing it. plus this is my daily driver.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

What is that, exhaust piping from the parts store?

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 İurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to İurbow

Good job man!

İurbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

mandrel bent aluminized steel. a 2.5 inch 90 degree, 2 2.5 inch 45 degree, and a 2 inch 90 degree. 2.25 inch universal intercooler off ebay. i used 90 degree reducer cupplings at the intercooler ends.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

cut that 90 back about an inch or 3/4 in at the coupling by the dizzy. that will straighten the bend out so it doesnt look over extended. other than that looks cool!

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i was thinking the same thing, i think theres still room for adjustment in the coupling though.

one thing thats kinda funny is i didnt even use a tape measure.

i also wish i could have found a 2 inch 90 degee with a tighter bend. luckily it fit the turbo outlet just fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i wouldnt wrap them. unless you want all the heat in them to be insulated and held inside...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i should also,

my car came with an aftermarket front subframe and the space where the piping goes through was already trimmed by previos owner. this made it a lot easier. most turbo crx's and EF civics that i have seen run piping behing the headlights. this way has shorter pipe routing.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i thought insulating them would prevent engine heat from getting to the pipes?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

the heat comes from the turbo, from it compressing air.

compressing something creates heat.

there is also ambient heat in the engine bay... i guess its up to you to decide which is a greater source of heat.
Quote:
Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i know that. im thinking its a good idea to keep underhood heat away from the piping after intercooler has brung the charge air temps down.

ill do some research on it.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Classic Man

good point.
Quote:
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

me and my friend had the same argument about codl air intakes. i had made one from plastic and he recomended metal, but metal absorbs more heat.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks good I'm in the process or making mines cutting with a grinder and welding as much as I can. I kknow it must of been a pain in the ass cutting that with ahack saw. But it looks worth it

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in