Need help w/turbo kit assembly*d16y7 * - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Need help w/turbo kit assembly*d16y7 *

Whats up everybody, just wanted to see if any of you guys can help me with some positive advice for my set up so far. I know I have a generic turbo set up but I'm on a real budget and want to see what I can make of this...

I'm running a D16y7 stock head and block with a skunk 2 pro series manifold.
I also have an LSD Trans with 6 puck Stage 4 Clutch & Pressure Plate. 7.5 pound lightened flywheel and thats it for the swap.

I got a deal on this used turbo set up I bought and had shipped to me for pretty cheap (around 140 bucks).

It consists of a decent 3 Inch thick FMIC, Greddy BOV, cast iron turbo manifold (also have a better looking polished manifold with two runners through the middle and the other two splitting off wider like these http://hktuning.com/Ready/CivicTurboManifold.jpg)
Which manifold makes better power?

Now for the Turbo... It came with a small turbo with the markings A/R 0.86
on it. I've done some research and think its a T25/28 Nissan turbo. It has an internal wastegate on it which i dont really like... it looks exactly like this http://www.enjukuracing.com/images/t25t28turbo.jpg

Should I get a T3/T4 turbo with an external wastegate instead or will this work? There is no shaft play and the turbine looks really clean.
I think all I need now is some of the intercooler piping (didnt come complete), a downpipe, boost controller, turbo timer and oil lines. Have 3' straight piping, Wally 255, FPR, and will tune on a P28 chipped once finished.

I also have a D15B head that i was thinking on slapping on as a mini swap on top of the turbo set up but I was told that Non-V is a more reliable set up.

I'm hoping to make some decent power into the 200hp area but not too sure what to expect! Positive comments appreciated.

Last edited by SOHCALILIFR16; 04-06-2011 at 12:43 AM.
SOHCALILIFR16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

DO NOT use the bling bling ebay manifold, it WILL crack.

Are you even sure that the manifolds bolts up to a t25 turbo, usually those manifolds are for t3's.

If you have a stock block, I'd just run the t25. If you just want 200hp, why run a big ass turbo and loose 2000 rpm of useable powerband? Internal gates works OK, but they have a tendency to creep. I tried different ways of controlling the boost when I was on internal, and the absolute best way was the good ol' ball and spring boost controller You should try porting the wastegate hole before you put it on. Just google it, its pretty common stuff in the nissan crowd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Function > Form

Last edited by steinar; 04-06-2011 at 02:12 AM.
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah many people have told me the same, thanks for the heads up... Im gonna go with a custom ramhorn that a shop owner friend of mine makes as soon as possible but for now the cast iron should be decent.

Everything matches up fine, I guess the guy had this set up on his eg hatch before...
Thanks for the info on the internal wastegate. A buddy of mine is giving me a sweet deal on a new t3t4 with an external wastegate so I might just go that route. I'm practically getting it free on a trade bargain. Realistically I want to make around 200-220 which I think should be reachable on the stock block.
I really appreciate your advice, thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I want to see how much power I can get out of this swap reliably. The swap is one of the cleannnnnest sohc's I've had. The head was flawless and still is, burns no oil and the trans & clutch make if feel real aggressive. On a good tune I want to daily drive it on 10-12 psi and see how it does. I'm real excited man, this little powerplant is itching to be put together... Just wonder what numbers it will put down is all...
Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

take pics of the turbo....t25 will be fun/ stock nissan gt28 would be way better or a t28 like i was running which is larger than the gt28's would be equally as good....the nissan gt28/t28's are good for 250-300whp....but you get some nice low end torque for a daily comuting fun....aka faster from light to light

dont turbo something for the bling factor,you want a turbo that is only slightly bigger than the goals you are trying to reach....you'll hear it time ans time again that nobody can tell you what turbo to run but to find one that is a) in your price range and b) one that is properly sized to your goals

if your getting the t3/t4 for basically free....awsome pick it up and set it on a shelf.... you WILL get the boost bug....trust me....once you've been bitten you will always want more...ifyou search my posts when i first joined up on dso all i wanted was 160-180whp.....was never wanting more than that, just a peppy little fun street car...they all said i'd want more, i told them NO...needless to say a month after being boosted i tossed in a gm 3bar and upped the boost....and now im gunning for 400whp this year out of a hx35....maybe over this next winter pice up a fj bottom end kit and build for a 300+ car....

also i dont see mention of

injectors
water lines for t25/28
needed gauges (wideband, boost/vac, oil pressure, water temp)
map sensor
arp headstuds

there is also going to be alot of little stuff thats gonna hit the wallet your not thinking of, plan on having $200 set aside for install day....i spent about $120 on little stuff i forgot about....vac lines, fittings, misc gaskets, ect...

but man is it worth it!

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

more turbo bulids, what does everyone do stuff in summer? Anyway thats the turbo I got.your need to rotate the center to put the oil drain at the bottom. Just be carefully because that snap ring is a pain in the ass. Also 2x to what was said. And I guess today ill post my ac t25 turbo bulid, since everyone has a turbo now .

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

@Scott:
Thanks for all the info bro, yeah I'll definitely try to get some of pics up as soon as possible...I agree on getting the boost bug man, I ran the car on a 75 shot of nitrous but didn't like the feeling afterwards lol... Im just searching for that reliable
Constant power now and I know I will be upgrading parts as I go along.
As far as the other parts go, just forgot to mention but yeah injectors are covered of course, I have a box of VS& Ti Retainers I need to put on and I'm saving up for the ARP's... I need to find some gauges as well though. Thanks a lot for your help bro.

Best of luck on your 400+ build man that sounds awesome. It's good to see those numbers coming out of the D still.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Yup, summertime were the beach weather is amazing!
Ok cool I'll look into doing that with the turbo. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna post pictures up Asap so you guys can check the turbo out and see what you guys think.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Dgold31 is learning the way of the DDgold31 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

looks like a good solid build your goals are right about there for a stock block ill be watching this !

Dgold31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Deuce217 is learning the way of the DDeuce217 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing this come together. Most people driving these cars dont have much money so I would say most of the people reading this are broke too. Do work with what you can.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

We need pics man...

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCreep View Post
We need pics man...
I 2nd that. Any updates? And my build thread is up if you need some ideas.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in