Turbo for DD - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Bishop is learning the way of the DBishop is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo for DD

I know I know, another of "these" threads asking about what turbo is "best" to run on on a daily driver. I hated to ask it but I've been searching for hours and days and haven't come up with even a decent answer and i'm starting to pull my hair out.

Please dont be to harsh.

engine specs:
a6 block
y8 2 layer hg
z6 head
FJ H-beam/Vitara combo
580cc precision injectors
p28 ecu (not sure on what to tune with yet)

looking to run right around 300whp.

Was looking as t25's t28's mitsu's and a few t3/t4's but don't know good and bad's on any so looking for some honest recommendations, its gonna be in my DD/rally cross car.

thanks for any HELPFUL input :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

run the "smallest" common sized turbo to meet your goal, with in its efficiency range.

usually 14 psi (bar) is about as much as you would really want on the street.

side note: more then 200-240 whp on the street is a lot more then your going to use at most points during a commute or weekend madness. just something to remember..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Bishop is learning the way of the DBishop is learning the way of the D

i know that 300 is a bit much for dd, wanted it more really to get the tires loose-er on the dirt tracks.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
i know that 300 is a bit much for dd, wanted it more really to get the tires loose-er on the dirt tracks.
umm.. well 200-250 whp (depends on tq curve really) will break them loose on pavement, so i am pretty sure it will do the same on dirt (just better)

or did dirt all of a sudden gain traction properties over night?

i tease, i tease....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

lol, i hear rally car and i think right around 300 hp, not completely un reasonable and i wont jump to it right away, but a turbo which will work now (200 or so whp), and later (300whp).
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

on my project, i picked up a gt28r kit... short time later wished i had chosen something in the t3/t4 family... realized its quite expensive to replace/upgrade this turbo

Last edited by hatchnthoughts; 04-03-2011 at 08:53 PM.
hatchnthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
run the "smallest" common sized turbo to meet your goal, with in its efficiency range.

usually 14 psi (bar) is about as much as you would really want on the street.

side note: more then 200-240 whp on the street is a lot more then your going to use at most points during a commute or weekend madness. just something to remember..
Very very true!!

With my setup I dont run more than 1bar on the streets or I break traction 1-3rd gear.

Yeah its good to have a goal (like ur 300whp) but you wont need to run 300whp all day on a DD. Unless youre street racing... but even then most cars on the road make less than 220whp on the streets (unless built)

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
lol, i hear rally car and i think right around 300 hp, not completely un reasonable and i wont jump to it right away, but a turbo which will work now (200 or so whp), and later (300whp).
super 60 t3 to start. wont make 300 whp, but it will rip your pants off for 250. will def break loose the tires on dirt. plus if you need to upgrade, you can just mod the compressor side for the t3/t4 set-ups.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

i may have forgotten to mention that it will be in a rt4wd modded civic so breaking loose might be a little harder.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

not really. just cause its 4wd doesnt mean its anything like a real 4wd system or even a newer all wheel drive system. yes, all 4 wheels are engaged at one time. however, its still a fwd based system. iirc, its like 80 nose and 15 in the tail, 5 lost in the driver train going back. could be wrong on the numbers, but they give you the idea.

btw: i dont think i have seen a 300 whp 4wd set-up using d-series running gear.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

there was a thread on h-t about epic tunning's 400whp rt4wd track/street car, was sold off a few times after it was finished, never did find the result thread of the solid drive shaft for 50/50 split.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Epic Tuning's 400HP D16Z6 powered Real Time 4WD EF hatch. - Honda-Tech

Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

ahh, thats right. there was a thread about that over here as well. really old.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 sdubfid is learning the way of the Dsdubfid is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I'd vote for gt2860rs or 14b/16g.

with gt28rs .64 I see 10psi at 3400rpm with a muffler. But it also starts making boost well under 2000rpm so its awesome daily driving.

If i didn't get this turbo for free I'd be running a mitsubishi turbo for cheap. I ran a 14b on my old d16a6 and it worked good too.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Having a smaller turbo with quick spool is more practical for DD. I had a T3T4 50 Trim and a Greddy 15G setup. And I had a lot more fun with the 15G at 15PSI then I did with my 50 Trim at 10PSI. The 15G hit full boost quick and the 50 Trim took a while to spool and by the time I was at full boost probably was like 4K-4.5K rpms. But it's been so long I don't quite remember how long it took to hit full boost. Overall, it's all about preference.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

too small a turbo will also have a huge negative side effect for DD cars...

lack of flow during out of boost driving (gas mileage) and in ability to modulate pressure transition.

both can really kill a persons taste for turbos.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

On low traction surface the rt4wd system isnt as bad as everyone wants it to be. The only thing the center diff is doing is slipping when the torque between the front and rear wheels gets too high, like when you are doing a tight turn. If the diff is healthy and still has the correct level of oil in it, it is actually pretty strong. Of course you wont have the advenced stuff that sends torque to the corner you need it, or yaw control and whatnot, but its not bad. On snow and ice it feels pretty much like 50/50, and once you get rid of the factory understeer you can go sideways day in day out with it. I havent tested mine on gravel or dirt track yet, but I would think it works pretty good. It spins both front and rear tires when launching on gravel.

Gt28rs or a big 16g would probably make it to 300, and still have a lot of grunt down low. The H-beams wont help you, though. That is low compression. Have you considered milling the head and/or block?

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

That's what i'm looking for is whats going to be a good balance, the lower faster spooling turbo will be nice for quick acceleration but i dont want to be completely lost in the top end.

Some oversteer on loose surface would be sweet.

Last edited by Bishop; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
too small a turbo will also have a huge negative side effect for DD cars...

lack of flow during out of boost driving (gas mileage) and in ability to modulate pressure transition.

both can really kill a persons taste for turbos.
neither of those are an issue for my setup.

.42/.48 t3 on a stock block d15b. running 10psi now. full exhaust, no cat. hondata s300. really nice power on the street. can imagine 15psi would be great, but I don't really wanna put my beat old stock block through that right now.

-30mpg city (this includes raping the piss out of her sometimes, usually at least once per day). 38mpg highway trips. Obviously not the best for a d-series honda, but I'm sure if you had a lighter foot than me you could do better, and it's certainly not BAd gas mileage by any means.

-vacuum to boost transition is seamless and quite easily controlled. let's say I'm in third and I want to give it 2psi, or 5psi, or keep it at atm(0psi), or in vacuum at a particular level. not a problem at all.
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

in ten more posts without post whoreing buy mine

t28 off a pulsar gti-r from japan.....came off of a fwd sr20det.....biggest turbo that came factory on a sr20....larger than a gt2860r smaller than a disco potato only spools 200 or so rms latter and has a much better top end.....perfect for what you want .... i also have the d-series mani and dp for it....oh and i have 550ccinjectors that will be for sale in the next couple days

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in