Crank seal leaking? Cause my timing belt to slip occasionally? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Crank seal leaking? Cause my timing belt to slip occasionally?

I am not a mechanic so the theory proposed in my subject heading is only a hypothesis.

My car was up on the hoist today and to my surprise we found that the crank seal was leaking. I had my engine rebuilt about a year ago and I am pretty sure that the crank seal was brand new installed at that time. Is it odd for a crank seal to give out that early?

Would a bad crank seal cause noticeable oil loss between oil changes?

The leak may very well be from the cam seal as well..

I am going to have both replaced mid april. Is it ok to drive the car if these seals are on their way out and leaking slightly?

Im not sure but, could a leaky crank or cam seal cause my belt to slip?
qqq is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

if i have to replace my timing belt due to oil getting at it.. Should I just use OEM or since I am boosted, should I use a reinforced type of belt ??

any use in getting a gates racing timing belt?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

how can you determine if the leak is from the crank seal or the oil pump to block seal?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Khnemu

Oh my fucking god.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Khnemu is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

While in there I would re-seal the oil pump if you have any doubts. The crank seal probably isn't bad, it is probably the crank snout there where the seal meets the seal has worn a groove...casuing oil to leak out a bit.

I had the small problem at the opposite end of my crank...the rear main seal. Brand new seal, but because of the groove worn into the crank there it caused a little to push out cuz of the groove. The oil never touched the working part of the clutch/PP/FW though thank God.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I've had both my crank and my rear main seals leak and honestly it doesn't leak enough to actually be noticed unless you have puddles wherever you park. If your losing a lot of oil during oil changes you have other problems. If your timing belt is slipping its either stretched or your didn't install the belt correctly.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iFanatic.User is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanatic.User View Post
I've had both my crank and my rear main seals leak and honestly it doesn't leak enough to actually be noticed unless you have puddles wherever you park. If your losing a lot of oil during oil changes you have other problems. If your timing belt is slipping its either stretched or your didn't install the belt correctly.
I have not noticed any symptoms from a slipping timing belt, since i dont realy know what the symptoms are but i doubt that I would hit 13psi with a slipping timing belt.

I do notice a small puddle under the car and dripping from the side of the oil pan just as if the crank seal was leaky. I know the crank seal takes a lot of abuse.

I checked my oil levels and they seem to be fine, after 800kms of occasional hard driving
Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to sloK

im guessing you are running the factory PCV system, a front main seal shouldnt go out that fast, but on a interferance motor anything getting onto the timing belt that would make it soften and break pre-maturely is never good... no matter what its not good. with it leaking the timing shouldnt slip aslong as it was installed properly and has sufficent tension on it.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

my catch can set up is fine.

i am wondering if its the cheap seal on the oil pump ?

88-95 Honda Civic Si 1.6 Brand New Oil Pump D16A6 D16Z6 on eBay.ca (item 250502995031 end time 15-Apr-11 20:21:50 EDT)
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to sloK

i wouldnt use anything but OEM seals when it comes to main parts like a front main crankshaft seal. they have them last for a long time, iv seen many of aftermarket seals fail very very fast

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

does anyone here know if the FJ distributors turbo superkit comes with an OEM front crankshaft seal?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

first off timing belts dont slip they jump teeth

as for the leak if its not a "drip" its not a major concern.

but if you have a significant drop in oil between changes there is something else wrong.

and when you say your catch can set up is fine what does that mean?

crazymx6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
qqq
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymx6 View Post
first off timing belts dont slip they jump teeth

as for the leak if its not a "drip" its not a major concern.

but if you have a significant drop in oil between changes there is something else wrong.

and when you say your catch can set up is fine what does that mean?

Catch can is set up as follows

3 hoses into can elevated at the highest possible level by firewall. All 3 hoses come from valve cover...
1 big hose goes into the very top of this catch can and is routed into the intake that attaches to the turbo..
I have the stock pcv system unplugged. The black box vents to atmosphere
intake manifold port is plugged up where the pcv used to plug into

For instance if you were to start the car up for 2 minutes to drive it onto a flat surface. and then check the oil imediately after, oil would be still sitting in the oil feed and in the head of the motor...this would give off a false sense that "you" are low on oil correct?

Which explains why when I check the oil after driving the car for a while (letting the car cool off for 20 minutes) the oil level appears right on par . I think I am just being to critical here.

Last edited by qqq; 03-31-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

ok ur catch set up sounds ok...

as for the oil level it would take a few min to drain back to the pan

Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

also thinkin that the open black box might be causing a restriction just a thought tho

and if it were it could be causing excess pressure in the crank case..

another idea for you might be to try to vent to atmosphere as if the venturi is not functioning proper it might not be pulling a strong enough vac....that also depends on your hose sizes

ex is if you have two -10 off the vc you would want a hose around a -16 vac tube

Last edited by crazymx6; 03-31-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in