Questions for the lads who drag their Boosted Motors. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 rdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to rdc Send a message via MSN to rdc Send a message via Skype™ to rdc
Default Questions for the lads who drag their Boosted Motors.

This question is for guys like Danz and others who drag race their boosted Honda Motors.
I dont see this mentioned. But do you guys do anything special to your gear boxes or drive shafts. Or are Honda Parts that good that they can take the abuse of a boosted motor with no issues.

On my Turbo builds. We have had bad luck with snapped drive shafts, busted gear box bearings and other assorted problems.

Will this be an issue with the Honda ?
Do I need to upgrade the drive shafts or stock will hold only planing on making 200 BHP.
Have heard that some guys upgrade the D15 drive shafts to the B16 or B18 drive shafts.
your inputs would be great.
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

If you know how to preload stock is fine for 200hp. I've use stock axles on my 400+ motor with no issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

An LSD will reduce the chance of axle breakage. Avoiding wheel hop (using slicks) will reduce the chance of axle breakage. Preloading on launch will reduce the chance of axle breakage.

Most guys use stock trannys and stock axles.

I seriously doubt anyone is using B series axles, unless we're talking about the 3 or 4 guys in the entire world who are using a D2B setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

get an aftermarket LSD. the first point of failure is the diff, at least for me...

i like to use a weak axle.. i would rather break an axle than a gear or diff.

i use OEM gears and OEM drive shafts, or even chinese aftermarket axles. no issues

the number one thing to avoid is wheel hop, so use drag specific slicks. my mickey thompson or M&H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

MFactory makes aftermarket driveshafts if you're interested Ron.

cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I used stock/Auto Zone reman axles coupled with my Quaife LSD Si trans (stock gearing) without issue. This all w/o a traction bar too...add that to your list of things to get, along with stiff mounts.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

I know you guys don't have access to this; but many people were running regular Autozone or Advance Auto axles with lifetime warranties. They'd break it, and get a "free" replacement.

I have the same warranty on my Civic axles and they were like $60-70 each; I believe mine are still warrantied(I think later on they put a limited warranty). Not sure if Autozone or Advance still does this though.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 rdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow up
Send a message via ICQ to rdc Send a message via MSN to rdc Send a message via Skype™ to rdc

Hummm a LSD for my Boosted car is a bit outside my budget right now.
But yes we would bunny hop like crazy in the early days. Before I upgraded my wheels.
One would imagine that slicks would put even more load on the drive Axel.

The one and only time I went to the stealer was to change my drive shafts and they put some crappy made in India shafts in and billed me 28K (608$) To change both drive shafts. That was the first and last visit to a Honda Dealership.
Honda India has a policy. No parts can be purchased in the open market. Want a part. Go to the show room. Now I just import my parts. Pay thru the nose for shipping and customs but it still beats working with the stealer's.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I blew my open diff at the 350ish mark. Probably coming out of the water box with the pedal still to the floor. So I started running welded diffs. No more issues there. But I know PLENTY of people running open diffs. Ive never heard of anyone breaking axles because they had an open diff. Maybe because they couldnt drive. But it wasnt due to an open diff.

Slicks and preloading will keep you from snapping axles. Radials tend to have more wheel hop issues. Bias ply gives at the sidewall and doesnt wheel hop. Ive never snapped an axle on slicks, only drag radials.

I also had issues with breaking my trannies. But that was mainly due to 20+ year old cable trannies. I have friends running consistent 10s on the same hydraulic tranny for 2 years plus. But needless to say, I like most of the single cam people I know went for a B tranny. Just for better gears and better parts. Not to mention the intermediate shaft as well.

And yea, I normally run axles that are warrantied, and keep an extra set of junkers with me at the track.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

So you guys do have similar problems and snapping drive shafts is something to worry about. Thanks for all the inputs.
A LSD is tempting but at 700x2 by the time it gets to me is steep. Everything costs double thanks to shipping and customs.
Why would cable vs Hydro effect anything ? We are cable BTW.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
The one and only time I went to the stealer was to change my drive shafts and they put some crappy made in India shafts in and billed me 28K (608$) To change both drive shafts. That was the first and last visit to a Honda Dealership.
Holy crap!

I remember Bone saying something about the differential pins in cable transmissions are weaker. I ran a hydro one in my cable transmission with no problems.

As far as shipping, do you guys have to pay tariffs for "gifts"? Post office has those flat-rate boxes which also include International shipping now which would save shipping costs vs. paying by weight.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
get an aftermarket LSD. the first point of failure is the diff, at least for me...

i like to use a weak axle.. i would rather break an axle than a gear or diff.

i use OEM gears and OEM drive shafts, or even chinese aftermarket axles. no issues

the number one thing to avoid is wheel hop, so use drag specific slicks. my mickey thompson or M&H
i agree
i make a small indent in mine with a angle grinder just so if they do snap they will snap right there and not into the trans itself which is a pain to take out
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

i have had the same axles for 3 years now....2-300 passes on the 1/4 .....mind you half of those were n/a on 13"steelies....other half was 22" slicks and turbo around 180-200whp....also never broke a tranny yet....knock on wood....2 years on a dx tranny and half a season last year on my si/ex trans(spun a rod bearing)...si trans is goin on the new build...also still running open diff

energy suspention torque mounts cut wheel hop by 20-30%....polly filled mounts i was down to very light wheel hop....with slicks its gone all together

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Whats the first point of upgrade tho...?for instance you're making say 300whp...what area would be the first to be addressed in order to attend a race meet

Jamaica's Automotive Magazine
Like on FB >

youtube:
Von_clutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

LSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in