My Honda Rebuild Build, Afew Questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bbsccr01 is learning the way of the Dbbsccr01 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Question My Honda Rebuild Build, Afew Questions

Alright, my EJ1 was destroyed about 2 years ago, and missed it ever since. So, I bought another EJ1 and have decided to do a swap over from my old busted civic. Now, a quick run down of what I got inthe motor. (if I can remeber correctly) on a 1995 civic ex Ej1 D16z6 motor...

Crower stage 2 cam
Crower retainers and springs
T3/T4 turbo (can't remember the trim)
Vitara pistons
Eagle H rods
Mild port and polished head
upgraded injectors (440's I think) and a bigger fuel pump
There might be afew things I forgot....

So here are my questions that I can't find the answers too. I had stock throttle body and manifold, and the car still laid down great power. Now, I am looking at finishing my build. I have been looking at replacing the throttle body and manifold for something much bigger. But, will it make that much of a difference. And I have read afew articles on port matching and having the manifold 2mm smaller to create the cyclonic effect. Is any of this true, on forced induction or just N/A? I could see N/A but not on turbo'ed. Again, I know little on this, and need advise. Also, if anyone has similar setup or point me at a particular brand. I am open to that as well.

I have been looking at Skunk2 with a 72 or another brand with a 76mm throttle body. Will that 2mm or 4mm make that much of a difference? For now, I am keeping it at 6 or 7 psi. I can boost it more, but I am alittle nervous of the quality work that I paid some guys locally. So I am looking at possibly starting to do all work myself. So, would there be any fitment issues with Skunk2, as I have read else where?

Also, what are these about and are they worth the money (even work) for N/A or FI? Linked: http://www.polarbeartuning.com/Plenum.html

I would like to say, just to be said, I am sure that this has been covered before, but I haven't yet found it. So I am hoping to not be givin hell about this post, just point me in the direction. But, until then, I will keep searching and waiting for replies. Thanks

Last edited by bbsccr01; 03-22-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add question
bbsccr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

What kind of power are you looking to make?

IM making 318WHP on a stock throttle body, but I am turbo on 22psi. They will make a difference, but honestly, i think the money can be better spent somewhere else. Like your TUNE, or Turbo set up

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bbsccr01 is learning the way of the Dbbsccr01 is learning the way of the D

Well, it has been along time since I drove the car or anything. Let alone the numbers. It was about 260ish and 210 or so torque. I could be wrong. I gotta look for the papers... I was hoping for 320ish or so. Its a daily driver too. So I gotta be careful. I will eventually start learning how to build and tune, so when I break something, I can fix myself. But for now, like I said. And the tune, it was done professionally. Never once in the month or so driving it did it give me any probs. Mixture was perfect, and so on.

The reason behind all this is the motor is still in the old car. I am wanting to buy all the parts and I will install them and just hand the car over to the shop were the first car was originally built and do the swap and retune. It needs a retune anyways. When I was driving the car last time, there were afew gas stations around me not useing ethonal. Now all use that crap, it has to be retuned. Ran a tank full last time with ethonal in it and my AFR were all over the place. So I know it needs tuning. Just trying to plan ahead and save some money, because I am mechanically illiterate and know nothing on how to tune.

Last edited by bbsccr01; 03-22-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Id say the throttle body is the least of your problems right now. You will need bigger injectors, especially if you wanna run E85 and make 320 WHP... I would looke into AT LEAST 650cc's, thats what i have, but Im running 70psi fuel pressure. I would rather suggest something in the 800cc's

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Wow, 800s? what are the max hp on those? And on e85, whats the average mpg? I think I was getting some where in the 40mpg on the last tune.

Well, even if I just boosted it higher, I would have to replace the 450's? I was told the 450s can handle upto 400 hp. So I was told wrong? This even being on a (either) AEM/B&M fuel pressure regulator and a walbro fuel pump?

I don't mind spending afew extra $$ as this is not a budget build. I just want to get it right.

One other question. I was running 93 octane with those 450's or (440's. I can't quit remember.) But if I were to go with e93 would I still be able to use the injectors I already have? Or by using a lower grade gas force me to use bigger injectors?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sloK

450cc injectors max at 300hp. E85 requires you to run more fuel, yes it does have a higher octane level and burns cooler than traditional gasoline, but you still have to run more fuel.

i personally am not a fan of E85 because i feel as if it limits you to just your area of living instead of possibly being able to go out a distance since you wouldnt only be running E85. i also believe that you will go through E85 faster than traditional gasoline, so even though it is cheaper, you fill up more thus spending more money.... but its your decision on what you want to run.

all in all, you need bigger injectors. i recommend Precision 650cc injectors or RC 750cc injectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

alright, so I will get the 750's. Just to be safe. But after all this, will there be a significant gain in power and torque to justify the $600 spent on say, Skunk2 throttle and manifold? I know its bigger, as the d16z6 is something like 54mm or 56mm.... But is it worth the cost? I see alot of people on here swapping for larger throttles on na motors, but not really boosted. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in