Bye bye built single cam - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Bye bye built single cam

well, i did a compression test today because ever since i blew the head gasket its felt weak out of boost.

results cyl 1 to cyl 4

dry wet
135 180
140 185
140 185
090 180

cylinder walls are good, i checked with my borescope, piston tops look excellent and there are no signs of oil in the cylinders. so i'm pretty sure when i blew the headgasket and overheated the ring tension was lost....

the car at 15psi still feels great, out of boost feels like its way down on power, but interestingly it idles smooth as stock..... compression test were done on a stone cold engine with throttle open.. after the dry test i was hoping the wet test was the same or similar meaning valve/head issue, but NOPE......

picking up a GSR swap sunday, going to build that and swap it in.... i'm not leaving the forum though sorry!
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

compression test should be done on a fully warm engine. with no fuel coming from the injectors. with the throttle wide open. and spark plugs removed.

4 compression strokes, and that is your result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

4 compression strokes?
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Khnemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
4 compression strokes?
Yeah, most will say 5-7 to be sure or until the gauge stops climbing. You can hear the swooshing every time the cylinder you're testing hits compression.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Khnemu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

the needle (on the gauge) will also usually move under compression, even if its just a twitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

i always keep it spinning until the gauge stops, unless its obvious there is a problem, i let it spin about 6 times each cylinder. the gauge stopped on each after 3-4 turns. i was at work, between cars so i didnt have time to warm the engine, not that it would matter anyways, the rings are obviously trashed.

i'd just like to know why they went bad. i've overheated tons of hondas and never had low compression afterwards, and built dozens (literally) of D and B engines and never an issue, until this one, i rushed some important steps to get it going so i can only blame myself.

i'm still driving the car, and it still breaks loose 3rd gear at 15psi so its definately still making power, it just feels like a tank out of boost.... still getting 25mpg driving it hard most of the time..
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

yes those are very odd numbers indeed.
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
compression test should be done on a fully warm engine. with no fuel coming from the injectors. with the throttle wide open. and spark plugs removed.
this.

cold numbers, dry or wet, dont mean much.

loose ring? probably. could seal up when warmed though, as a few have done for me. burn/smoked a bit when started, perfect (good compression, leak test good) when running and warmed.

get a b-series, most of the forum has them anyway...

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

You might have stretched the ring lands

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

on forged pistons?

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Either way if you have a good deal on a GSR do it!
Great engine on boost and will take a beating.

Miss my old turbo GSR.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly weebeastie

Rep Power: 13 Soul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

which important steps did you skip? Setting the end gap on the rings? Rings could be lined up causing an issue or poor end gap, or just too much heat and the oil rings lost their tension.

What kind of pistons are you running?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If the cars still making good power in boost when the cars warm I would atleast redo the compression test when the cars fully warmed up and then go from there... is the motor smoking any in boost? Or out of boost?
jt99ek4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
on forged pistons?
Yes, they are stronger than cast aluminium, but they are still aluminium which gets pretty soft in an overheated engine.

It is most likely lost tension in the rings which are steel or cast iron and a lot stronger than aluminium at elevated temperature. Ring lands stretch if it gets hot enough for the ring ends to run out of gap and start to seize in the bore.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

If you do a compression test on any engine when it's cold it will be low. Especially when you have forged pistons (they expand as heat rises), that is why the piston-wall clearance is so high. Warm the engine up, and then try it again you will have higher numbers. Also do a leak down test and you will be able to see exactly where your problem is.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

warm ur engine theres a reason the first step in a compression test is to make sure your engine is to operating temperature.

Metal does not keep the same properties at different temperatures

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymx6 View Post
warm ur engine theres a reason the first step in a compression test is to make sure your engine is to operating temperature.

Metal does not keep the same properties at different temperatures
Yes, that is why your wet compression tests were so much higher (they were sealing the gaps in metal). As metal heats up it expands.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i can make my D17 create over 280psi if i keep cranking it... thats not how a compression test is supposed to be done.

after 4 compression strokes i get between 205-210psi across on a warm engine.

compression tests dont mean shit if they arent done right, and even then they dont tell you much.

its time for a leak down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Usually if the compression test in all cylinders reads high or low in some cases doesn't really matter since all compression testers will read different. What matters is the consistency of the numbers, usually within a 10%-15% difference in compression from the cylinders usually will mean the motors still healthy. It's when the difference exceeds a significant amount is when there is an issue.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

Last edited by iFanatic.User; 03-18-2011 at 12:32 PM.
iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Vitaras on custom length rods.

No smoke at all.

Ring gaps were set at .018 tops and .021 second and staggered correctly.

If I have time tomorrow I will do another test with the engine warm.

Also vacuum gauge flickers violently on cold starts, from around 18-23 in/HG. It stops after a few seconds but will do it revving too. I didn't notice it until I put the solid mount in though so I figured it was just vibrating maybe not.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in