Bigger turbo help!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Bigger turbo help!!

I had a .42/.48 garrett turbo on my d16z6 but its crap now so i want to get a new turbo, .60 A/R maybe i was wondering if i have to retune my car? my car is tuned to 7 psi right now? i was looking at this turbo right here let me know what you guys think, i really dont have too much money to spend on a turbo either. let me know if this is is a good size turbo to use? any positive input would be great thanks. T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger A/R .60 Turbo + downpipe flange - eBay (item 380282434318 end time Mar-23-11 22:44:25 PDT)
TurbodHatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

ebay turbos are hit or miss. You will have to retune. different turbos flow differently. a larger turbo will produce more whp at the same psi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Also a larger turbo will have a different flow rate at givin rpm. Say at 3500rpm your small turbo would reach full boost ie. 10psi, where as a larger turbo may still be "spooling" at 3500 and only be at 7psi. Your map will be all over the place. Ebay turbos scare me but I would try one for the price...MAYBE.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

what do you mean by hit or miss?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

from personal exsperience i would suggest saving your money and getting a good turbo. i went through 3 ebay ones and rebuilt one of them once in one year. with the price of that i could of almost bought a awesome turbo and it still would be doing awesome.
when he says hit or miss means ebay turbos might last 100 miles for 10,000 miles.
my first one went 15k for so. the others didnt go over3k each
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

alriight the turbo i had on before i think it came off of a volvo ...what if i get the same turbo would it just be plug and play? and can i find one at a local junkyard?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbodHatchy View Post
alriight the turbo i had on before i think it came off of a volvo ...what if i get the same turbo would it just be plug and play? and can i find one at a local junkyard?
if you find the same exact turbo it should be plug and play. and you need to research what car your turbo came off then you could more then likely find one at a junkyard.

retune with the same turbo wouldnt be a bad idea incase there are some minor differences

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!

yes a retune wouldnt be a bad idea. at least you need to check your a/f's
a turbo could perform differently even thos its technically the same.
your should really retune whenever you change any part with a turbo car but most people dont

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

alriight thnx guys and im sorry its not out of a volvo its out of a 87-88 saab 9000
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

the turbo in the link is a 44trim t3/t4, its spools very slow and peaks out pretty early, atleast mine did. 10psi by 4400rpm and it was done by 5500rpm on my setup. i switched to a "true" 57 trim ebay turbo with that same compressor and it feels better up top but still spools slow in my opinion.

the garrett .42/.48 is a good turbo for stock blocks i'd just look for another.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 d16y8guy is learning the way of the Dd16y8guy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

go with a cxracing turbo supposedly they fully test all their turbos and they are descent.
d16y8guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16y8guy View Post
go with a cxracing turbo supposedly they fully test all their turbos and they are descent.
those still are hit or miss. had 2 of them.
they do not ballance there turbos. none of those ebay 44trims are balanced i dont think.
but most of the cxracing stuff is pretty good. but got to remember its still cheap ebay junk. no matter what some 14yr old kid put it together in china

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I PM'd you. I have a good quality turbo for sale but it may be a bit big for your application. There are other options as well.
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

They balance them its just that they use cheap crappy bushings that wear out too easily. It's a trade-off going with a big turbo. I have a 48/63 57 trim and hate it. Yeah it makes gobs of power up top but I don't see full boost until after 5k rpm. I think the best turbo I ever ran was a to4b 48/60 with a v trim. Spooled plenty quick and had tons of top end.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
They balance them its just that they use cheap crappy bushings that wear out too easily. It's a trade-off going with a big turbo. I have a 48/63 57 trim and hate it. Yeah it makes gobs of power up top but I don't see full boost until after 5k rpm. I think the best turbo I ever ran was a to4b 48/60 with a v trim. Spooled plenty quick and had tons of top end.

you give me hope i have the same one thats going on my turbo build
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

That's the turbo that made the numbers in my sig. Full boost around 3800rpm and pulled all the way to rev limit and then some. Too bad the housing cracked or I would still be running it. I'll trade you straight up for my turbonetics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in