new to honda - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default new to honda

hey everyone recently bought a 2000 ek coupe with a d16y8 in it. only 61k on the car. I've been enjoying the great full economy, but i think its time to make it a little faster. I was looking into boosting it, but not sure how to go about it. Im on a low budget so i don't think i can afford any high end kits. i've seen a couple threads about doing a dsm turbo swap to civics? if anyone could let me know what i would take off a dsm for a turbo build it would be great. really just looking for all the info i can and everyones advice. Also to say hello to everyone on here im knew to the forums. Thankyou
Falvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Rep Power: 17 jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!
jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!

Get a CRX HF/std exhaust manifold
Dsm turbo charger and intercooler as well
Dsm 450cc injectors
Turbo oil line (feed and drain)
assorted piping
wastegate
blowoff valve

Idk what im forgetting but people have used these parts and had a boosted motor for under $1000.. Itd help if you had a solid budget though, we might be able to find specific parts, aka spoonfeed you but i doubt thatll happen.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

wow thanks for replying so fast. should i worry about anything internally with my motor? also my budget is so low right now because im going to school next year so until i get enough for my tuition i cant spend to much

Old 03-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Rep Power: 17 jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!
jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!jEromy is the fucking MAN!!!!

225Whp is the accepted limit of d series motors for DDing. any more and you risk blowing your engine. If i were on a small budget i would only shoot for 190whp with a tune. Since you are in school (like me) i would not throw this together with the cheapest crap you can find because you need your car to be reliable. Finding good parts at good prices can take a while and even after you get all the parts, you still HAVE to get it tuned which can be anywhere from $300-900 so take that into account. Not trying to scare you away from this, just being real.

Basically, you dont have to do anything to your engine internally, just dont think you can make 250whp on a stock engine. The rods in these motors are literally PENCIL thin.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

alright cool thanks a lot man. if i do the dsm injectors i need to swap the clips to them and i saw somewhere about like a resistor or something u need for them? and how about ecu i need to go to obd1 right? sorry if it seems stupid im confused about the ecu things
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Ecu needs to be OBD1 for tuning purposes, multiple people on here sell conversions/Jumpers for OBD0-OBD1 harnesses and i think a couple may sell resistor boxes as well, however you need 65 posts before you can publicly buy/sell on this site.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

A lot of this info is covered at the top of this thread in the stickys...but way to help a noob jeromy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
A lot of this info is covered at the top of this thread in the stickys...but way to help a noob jeromy!
Winner! Get to readin homie, and for the record, jEromy's pretty much on the money.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
McLOVIN

Thanks guys. Like they said, read the stickies and build threads like JFK78, Go-Autoworks and many others and youll learn alot about what goes into a turbo build. Also, tear down a Y8 and youll see why you dont wanna go over 225whp... LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

alright thanks a lot guys. ive been looking through the build thread but just wanted to make a post so i could ask a few questions thanks for the replies
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

please throw a tune into your budget....... then youll have a fun time for a while
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
please throw a tune into your budget...
this.

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

and make sure its a reliable tune and a trusted tuner..you dont want no half assed tune on your car if its your DD..just make sure you do alotta reading up..you might even change your mind down the road..gl
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

thanks guys. any of you know a good shop to go to for a tune in nj?
Old 03-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Khnemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falvo View Post
thanks guys. any of you know a good shop to go to for a tune in nj?
I'd go to NRG Tech in NY, Miller is one of the best on the East Coast.

Khnemu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

Eh I'll do a little spoon feeding lol.

HF Manifold
BMRace or the like HF->DSM adapter
TD05H 15g turbo w/ internal wastegate and exhaust elbow
Custom A/C compatiable downpipe *optional*
Oil feed and return line
Oilfilter sandwhich plate
Intercooler
Intercooler piping
Blow-off valve
vacuume t's or a vacuume manifold to work the BOV
Have a downpipe made or buy one
ARP headstuds *suggested, not required, I run these on ALL boosted setups*

That takes care of underhood...

Xenocron or similar OBD2-OBD1 adapter. As your car is a 2000 it's OBD2B. 1996-1998 are OBD2A and 99+ is OBD2B irrc.
You will also need a chipped p28 ecu. Crome basic is free, Crome pro has a small fee as well as other engine management tuning software. It's best to tow the car to a shop who works with a lot of Hondas and let them work there magic with which ever tuning software they like to use.

Some other optional things that I highly suggest: Oil pressure and Boost pressure gauges, wideband o2 setup. On the oil and boost gauges, doesn't matter even if its some Advance auto Sunpro brand stuff. Gives you an idea of what is going on to an extent. You have a D16Y motor which are notorious for bad lubricating properties so oil pressue is a nice thing to have. You want the boost gauge there to make sure you are getting full boost and it isn't spiking. Boost spike can/will kill a engine.

Welcome to spoonfeedthen00b I mean d-series.org

Enjoy the info in the stickies and info on the site. If you have a technical question and can't find an answer searching, then post up

torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

J-K tuning,IMW in carlisle PA..alotta outa staters and locals go there for there tunes..really good people to do buisness with and know what there doing
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

thanks everyone and thanks for the spoon-feeding i really appreciate the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in