What and how much additives increase octane. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default What and how much additives increase octane.

I found this article and it is definitely worth a read. May save your motor on your next track day!!!

Toluene..my octane booster of choice - SportsCarForums.com
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
inh
My sig is longer than yours

inh It's a JDM Star Bitches....inh It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

Toluene has been used for yeeeeaaars in F1. Or at least it was used years ago. The fuel was capped at a maximum octane rating and a certain amount. They ran up to like 80% toluene in their boosted engines, and they also froze their fuel. It would expand like 50% or something ridiculous like that as it warmed up, providing them with plenty of extra. I love F1 sometimes, sneaky bastards.

Oh, and you can get Toluene at a paint store, maybe even walmart
inh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

We used it in the 1960s to boost pump fuel.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my intro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

ive used toluene and xylene before.

its cheaper to buy C16 at the drag strip and put some of that in. but thats leaded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by inh View Post
Toluene has been used for yeeeeaaars in F1. Or at least it was used years ago. The fuel was capped at a maximum octane rating and a certain amount. They ran up to like 80% toluene in their boosted engines, and they also froze their fuel. It would expand like 50% or something ridiculous like that as it warmed up, providing them with plenty of extra. I love F1 sometimes, sneaky bastards.

Oh, and you can get Toluene at a paint store, maybe even walmart
Yah and they were putting like 30+ psi of boost on it, haha
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

doesnt hurt anything?
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_tilt View Post
yah and they were putting like 30+ psi of boost on it, haha
30?

50-75.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

a couple of my friends ran toulene in their cars, one was a 800whp supra and the other was a 500whp evolution...never had any issues and it smelled mmmmmmmmmm soooo gooood!

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

they also gelled the toluene. cant imagine the fuel pressure needed o inject that stuff..... but they aimed the injectors UPSTREAM, nstead of down like a normal fuel inj'ed car. Guess it has to do with atomizing the gelled fuel

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Just to be pedantic about symantics, toluene or xylene are not really additives. They are fuels in their own right, so adding them is a blend, like if you mix regular and race gas.

Tetra ethyl lead is an additive because you only need to add a little.

Automotive Gasoline

This link contains a wealth of info about fuels.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 33 reviews

interesting read..

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer View Post
Just to be pedantic about symantics, toluene or xylene are not really additives. They are fuels in their own right, so adding them is a blend, like if you mix regular and race gas.

Tetra ethyl lead is an additive because you only need to add a little.

Automotive Gasoline

This link contains a wealth of info about fuels.
Awesome post. + Rep for you friend......
The difference between a Toyota owner and a Honda owner is the Toyota owners talk about all the shit they are going to do but never do it. Honda owners blow a couple blocks up then talk about what they did and how they done it.

Moving from Chevy to Honda is like going from first base with your girl to hitting a Grand Slam with her and her friends. Everything you want is readily availible and very easy to acquire.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 wiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

What does toluene cost for the 5 gallon cans at paint stores?
136.398mm b7 h-beam custom length, -11 vitaras, d15b7 block z6 head .039" mill. R.I.P. Cracked sleeve from detonation at 21 lbs 10/24/13. New build, same set up with b1 block, .035" milled off head, and Delta 272-2.
wiledwhitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Jdm94Coupe is learning the way of the DJdm94Coupe is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice thread
Jdm94Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 wiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I was thankful to have read that link. Most octane boosters only give you .18-.2 ron or that much of a full octane number for the good ones and .1 ron for the cheap ones.

So if you get the octane booster from the dollar store and it says it treats 15gallons with a .1 ron increase does that mean you can run four of those bottles to 5 gallons to raise it up 1.2 octane numbers. J/K.

I'll all ways be grateful to have found out just how much of a scam the octane booster industry has been.
If I get around to calling the paint store I'll get a price on some MF Tolene and put it up here.

We have a local oil distributer selling premium regular gasoline 95 octane that smells like they've added a bunch of Tolene. It has more heat energy giving better mpg but seems like it needs more timing in some spots of the map.
136.398mm b7 h-beam custom length, -11 vitaras, d15b7 block z6 head .039" mill. R.I.P. Cracked sleeve from detonation at 21 lbs 10/24/13. New build, same set up with b1 block, .035" milled off head, and Delta 272-2.

Last edited by wiledwhitecivic; 03-17-2011 at 09:29 PM.
wiledwhitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

That is what toluene will do.

It can also be bought in bulk from chemical supply houses or industrial grade solvent vendors or even oil companies.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer View Post
That is what toluene will do.

It can also be bought in bulk from chemical supply houses or industrial grade solvent vendors or even oil companies.
i suggest anyone looking to use toluene or xylene price it out, then price out C16 or any other high octane fuel.

you will notice that race fuels are less expensive. usually by a lot.

i once got my hands on a 5L jug of toluene for free. that was the only reason i messed with it, otherwise it was way too expensive.

around here xylene is around $16 for 4L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I have not bought toluene for over 20 years, but back then it was a little more expensive than normal super grade pump fuel. It is very likely that C16 contains a lot, like maybe 50% toluene. At $4.00 per litre I would not buy it.

You just need to do your sums as to what it costs vs alternative ways to get the octane you require. Here it was used as a substitute because it was cheaper than unleaded petrol due to tax avoidance, however current prices seem a lot more expensive than unleaded.

Toluene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Where I work we have hundreds of gallons of Toluene, Xylene, Heptane, and Iso. I run Iso to help pass emissions.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

Itrested read in in all let me throw in my two cents.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...e-mixture.html

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in