I Think This Is A Little Beyond "Boost Creep" - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default I Think This Is A Little Beyond "Boost Creep"

Well, I finally hooked up my VDO boost gauge today because my friend had a suspicion that I was having some Boost Creep.

I just ran the line up through the hood and around into the window so I could hold onto it. And my results, scared the shit out of me.

I'm suppose to be on base wastegate pressure of 5.5psi on my 15g.

I apologize in advance, the videos obviously came from my phone, but it still gets the point across.

Look what I am getting:

Soooo, what is wrong with my internal wastegate?

And how do I fix it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

holy fuck ahaha n u were supposed to be on 5.5 20psi is a LONG way how is ur block still holding up? It should have popped a long time ago if your tuned...idk could it be stuck??? in for results..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

There is not boost signal going to it.

What are you running for boost control?

I would try to actuate the wastegate actuator with an air nozzle just to make sure the diaphragm isn't ruptured or something odd like that.

Last edited by snm95ls; 03-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano

Everything is holding up surprisingly well. This is definitely the reason why the headgasket went. So far I've been trying to take it easy on it, did some pulls and it feels strong as hell lol.

So now that I actually know when I'm going into boost, I'm going to be staying out of it for a while until I fix this issue.

It seems like the wastegate isn't opening?

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
Everything is holding up surprisingly well. This is definitely the reason why the headgasket went. So far I've been trying to take it easy on it, did some pulls and it feels strong as hell lol.

So now that I actually know when I'm going into boost, I'm going to be staying out of it for a while until I fix this issue.

It seems like the wastegate isn't opening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post

I would try to actuate the wastegate actuator with an air nozzle just to make sure the diaphragm isn't ruptured or something odd like that.
Well?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

lol you tried to sell me the car too...hmmmm

JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:

I'm running no boost controller, I'm at the mercy of the internal wastegate. I just put a fresh vacuum line from the wastegate "nipple" to the "nipple" on the compressor housing.

I've heard it would be best to have a source on a charge pipe, after the intercooler, to source boost from.

Explain the air nozzle with actuator. Just blow into it?

Should I try to lube up the rod or anything?

Quote:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

That is exactly what I dealt with with my old Miata running a 2854.

How is the wastegate set?
Try adjusting the actuator out until you only have to pull the rod half the diameter of the flapper pin to get it on the pin. Thats about as loose as you can get it where it wont leak boost.

Also, pictures of your DP please.

EDIT:
The best place for the boost signal would e on the cold side charge piping. But that will only make your current situation worse. So keep it on the compressor for now.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
I'm running no boost controller, I'm at the mercy of the internal wastegate. I just put a fresh vacuum line from the wastegate "nipple" to the "nipple" on the compressor housing.

I've heard it would be best to have a source on a charge pipe, after the intercooler, to source boost from.

Explain the air nozzle with actuator. Just blow into it?

Should I try to lube up the rod or anything?
Yeah, if you have access to compressed air, just use a air nozzle to pressurize the wastegate actuator a little to make sure it actually moves.

Also, might see of the flapper is possibly seized for some reason too.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Yeah, if you have access to compressed air, just use a air nozzle to pressurize the wastegate actuator a little to make sure it actually moves.

Also, might see of the flapper is possibly seized for some reason too.
Emphasis on "a little"
Too much pressure will break it, so either regulate it down or just give it a tiny little squeeze.
Ive alwasy done it with a bicycle pump by rigging a a valve stem to a hose and connecting it to the actuator (usually duct tape is needed, haha)
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
How is the wastegate set?
Try adjusting the actuator out until you only have to pull the rod half the diameter of the flapper pin to get it on the pin. Thats about as loose as you can get it where it wont leak boost.

Also, pictures of your DP please.

EDIT:
The best place for the boost signal would e on the cold side charge piping. But that will only make your current situation worse. So keep it on the compressor for now.
I've never touched an internal wastegate before, only messed with externals.

This is about the best pic that I have of the actuator arm:

I also don't have pictures of my DP, it's just the stock barely 2" GReddy downpipe.

What should I do with it, rattle it around? lol

Quote:
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well you should remove the wastegate and test it like mentioned above.

But before you do that try adjusting it if you can (it might not be adjustable, idk much about DSM turbos)
It should have a threaded shaft with a female piece on the end that has a hole in it (which slides over the pin on the wastegate flapper), and it should have a lock nut.
Remove the clip off the pin and pull the actuator rod off and adjust the end out.

Also, see how far the flapper opens with the rod disconnected. It should open roughly 90 degrees.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

take the turbo off and INSPECT it.

definately have a problem with the wastegate somewhere.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Well you should remove the wastegate and test it like mentioned above.

But before you do that try adjusting it if you can.
It should have a threaded shaft with a female piece on the end that has a hole in it (which slides over the pin on the wastegate flapper), and it should have a lock nut.
Remove the clip off the pin and pull the actuator rod off and adjust the end out.

Also, see how far the flapper opens with the rod disconnected. It should open roughly 90 degrees.
Awesome! Sounds like the project for tomorrow. I'll fiddle around with it and see if I can get it to maintain a proper pressure.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Quote:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

From 5.5psi to 20 is quite the jump! LOL Bet it was fun though! Can't view the vids at work, but it definitely sounds like a WG issue. Wish you luck on the fix!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

i was wondering if you clocked the turbo at all ? ifso perhaps you jammed the arm up a lil preventing it from working properly. i know with my t25 im going to have to fab a new bracket because the stock internal waste gate is preventing me from clocking the turbo too much.

just an idea that i thought i'd run across you. good luck i hope you figure it out before you break something

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Run the vacuum line from the waste gate to the bov. Looks like the bov vac is going to the intake manifold.

Where is the vac for waste gate going?

Last edited by Delsol_d15b; 03-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Delsol_d15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Holy SHIT dude that thing jams hahaha

I blew up my A6 from just 14 psi on my old 15g, so careful is all I can say. But shit, if she likes it, I'd say keep it around there haha. Get it on a dyno and do some pulls with a wideband.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsol_d15b View Post
Run the vacuum line from the waste gate to the bov. Looks like the bov vac is going to the intake manifold.

Where is the vac for waste gate going?
bov vacuum should come from the manifold post throttle body, wastegate should be pre throttle body.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Just a thought never had a turboed d but on my dsm if I wanted my bov to release when my wastgate did you run a vacuum line from the wg to the bov. Not to step on toes just giving my .02

Last edited by Delsol_d15b; 03-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Delsol_d15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in