Cracked Ringland? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 eee-jay-ate is learning the way of the Deee-jay-ate is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Cracked Ringland?

About a month ago, I started to notice that my exhaust was sounding different, almost like it was running on three cylinders or misfiring. I also noticed that my catch can was pushing out some smoke and some oil (but can was empty). The setup is a vitara/fjt rod d16y8 with the edelbrock turbo kit.

So I decided to not drive the car since. I did some research and found that some cars show the same symptoms when they have a cracked ringland. Has anyone experienced anything similar? It sucks not having a car and I have been waiting for a leak-down tester to do more troubleshooting. I did do a compression test though, results below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look out for or check out?

Here are the compression test numbers:
cylinder__w/o oil____w/oil
1_______165______180
2_______160*_____175
3_______170______180
4_______175______185

*(low compression on first stroke then gradually increased when I did the test without oil)

Thanks in advance guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eee-jay-ate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Numbers look fine (less than 10% variance), but symptoms are similar to when I broke ring lands.

Catch can smoking, ESPECIALLY on start up (like I could see it coming out the hood).
Sounds like ass/not running on all cyls.
Spooling slow as fuck, way down on power.

Not driving the car is the BEST decision you can make. If you're lucky the bores will be alright and you can just toss in another set of pistons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

What do the spark plugs look like.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Yup, your numbers are fine.
Does it sound different, or does it sound like a WRX? if it sounds like a WRX you have a missfire lol you can always try removing each plug wire while its running and see if you have a problem that way.
and also check your plugs, see if they have any oil on them.
How does the oil itself look?

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Cracked ringlands don't always sound like a Subaru. My stock a6 motor was just smoking like crazy when I got on it, but ran great so I didn't think anything of it. When I tore it apart to rebuild it, every single piston had cracked lands.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

We don't know that he has cracked lands, we only know he is blowing somw sort of fumes out the breather and it has a different exhaust note.

We also know that compression readings while not perfect are OK.

The only reason we are discussing ring lands instead of possible causes of the symptoms is because the OP suggested it based on no where near enough data.

We need to know if the plugs look normal or not. If not, how so.

Removing one lead only at a time is also a good idea.

This could be as simple as a leaky exhaust and cold weather making fumes more visible

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Check out my thread https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...ng-system.html
I had smoke coming from my catch can. But it ran fine until I ran it with no water and blew a headgeasket, melted part of the head and block, crack a sleeve, and destroy all 4 pistons Ringlands. It was my fault no water or tune but after the run it sounded like a wrx lol. Hope you figure yours out.
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna

Also it smoked like crazy under boost but I can prob blame that on the turbo going out to. I had oil in cylinders 1,3,4 in the exhaust ports and intake she burnt alot of oil that day and I pulled 200psi on each cylinder. Shoulda used the leak down tester I had.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 eee-jay-ate is learning the way of the Deee-jay-ate is learning the way of the D

first off, thanks for all the input; I'll have to try some of the things mentioned.
And sorry to be such an idiot, but what exactly would I be able to tell from pulling off a plug wire while the car is running?
The distributor has new OEM Honda ignitor, coil, rotor, cap, and wires.

I actually got a leak down tester and noted these results:

Cylinder____leakage
1__________9.4%
2_________12.2%
3_________10.5%
4__________6.7%

Oil looks brown, but usually gets pretty dark when I change it after 2500 miles.

As far as the spark plugs, there was some oil on them and here are some pictures: (I removed these plugs after I noticed the change in the exhaust sound, thinking that the burns on the plugs were causing my problem but even with new colder plugs I still have the problem, but I havent driven it with the new plugs, just let it idle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-25 15.25.35.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	27044   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-25 15.26.09.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	27045   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-25 15.26.40.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	27046   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-25 15.27.06.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	27047   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-25 15.27.25.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	27048  

Last edited by eee-jay-ate; 02-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to spoonsol

if you pull the plug wire and ground the plug youll be able to check for spark

spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 aznxstazy is learning the way of the Daznxstazy is learning the way of the D

take a good flash light and look down into the spark plug holes. if you can see oil inside then ya you're leaking oil. if its carbon black down there, then your probably fine.

my #1 recently failed at the oil rings. i was able to see oil in the plug hole with a good flash light.

also are you missing any oil or smoke at start up after the car has been sitting over night?
aznxstazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I HAD OIL ON PISTON 4 pretty good and my plugs looked fine. Also do your radiator cap have alot of pressure on it?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Were you running the kit on it's intended boost level or did you actually turned up the boost and had a custom tune?

And like others have stated, those numbers don't look too bad they are pretty consistent. I remember when my buddy had cracked ringlands everything sounded the same, but when he came on to a red light it was smoking out of his exhaust so bad it looked like he was doing a burnout since the breeze kept blowing the smoke towards the front of the car.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

I am running the kit at 8 psi, one or two above the original level but it is on a basemap and I actually haven't hit boost in a while since I have been trying to keep it safe before I can afford to head to the dyno.

The car does smoke after I let it sit over night but I thought that since it was smoking white after a cold start up that it was just burning off the condensation that was building up in the exhaust over the cold nights.

Are the pictures of the plugs ok? Sorry, I don't have a better camera. I can try again if they are too blurry.

I'll have to take a flash light to the pistons to see if I have oil on them.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by eee-jay-ate View Post
I am running the kit at 8 psi, one or two above the original level but it is on a basemap and I actually haven't hit boost in a while since I have been trying to keep it safe before I can afford to head to the dyno.

The car does smoke after I let it sit over night but I thought that since it was smoking white after a cold start up that it was just burning off the condensation that was building up in the exhaust over the cold nights.

Are the pictures of the plugs ok? Sorry, I don't have a better camera. I can try again if they are too blurry.

I'll have to take a flash light to the pistons to see if I have oil on them.
What fuel management system are you using? Crome? Hondata? Usually if the car smokes after sitting overnight it's usually an indication of bad valve seals/guides. Take a flashlight and look into the cylinders and see if there are any wet oil spots on top of the pistons.

The plugs look normal to me, but without high res close ups can't really tell.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Plugs look OK to me.

The idea of pulling one wire at a time is that if it bis firing on a plug and you pull that lead, the engine will slow down, but if it was not firing, the engine speed does not change.

Only do it momentarily as a disconnected plug lead can damage the ignition as voltage builds up and has no where to go.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Also leak down looks OK.

My money is on a leaky exhaust flange

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Another thought is a leaky injector. Is there a smell of petrol in the blow by.

my CRX thread

my intro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in