Hx turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Hx turbo

I have a 99 hx 5 speed which im keeping regardless of what swap anyone thinks i should have done. Im looking to get 150 to 160 hp on around 4 to 6 psi reliability being the key factor.
Just ran into a bunch of free parts off a 3000gt turbo. Im getting a d series turbo log manifold, crome, boost controller, a better fuel pump whats recommended by you guys, colder plugs. Anything im missin other then piping and maybe a inter-cooler. I dont have much experience tuning and would like to know what the basics are and can you control your check engine light and what not because the hx has a 5 wire heated o2 sensor and a cat directly off the manifold and with a log manifold im not sure how or if you would even be able to use it not to mention it wouldn't understand once boost is applied thanks guys
99civichx518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 33 reviews

u need injectors too

check out p g m f i for tuning info with crome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!

Last edited by krychek57; 02-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Your going to need a turbo. The puny 9B will not get you any near 150 at 4-6 psi and I am quite sure you will be working the shit out of it toget it at a higher psi. Yes I am aware they make 276whp in stock form but that is at the crank which comes out to less then 200 at the wheels.

Look for a used T3 or the like. A T25 would be better if that is all you are looking for.

I can help you out with a turbo on the cheap.
mhamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropesmhamrick is starting to learn the ropes

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...&product_id=81

This kind of gives you an idea. Its horribly small. I am in now way trying to talk you out of it there is just better options and you will not have to spend much money. You can also upgrade the 9B with a larger compressor and that would help ALOT. Also pretty cheap to do so.

Last edited by mhamrick; 02-15-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

upgrade the 9 b is the route ill go and 150 is like ideal 130 140 reliably would be great and im trying to work with what Ive got so 9b upgraded compressor it is. Injectors what size brand would you run ive heard some mitsu fit anyone know about the 3000gt ones
99civichx518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 33 reviews

the 3000gt injectors are prob small?

go with dsm 450's from a turbo 4g63 eclipse

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I have a set of Toyota low Z 365's that will work. They are good for around 180whp so that will do you just fine. I can get em to you cheap cuz I ain't using them. You may have to modify the clips or splice in new clips but I am not sure on that.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99civichx518 View Post
upgrade the 9 b is the route ill go and 150 is like ideal 130 140 reliably would be great and im trying to work with what Ive got so 9b upgraded compressor it is. Injectors what size brand would you run ive heard some mitsu fit anyone know about the 3000gt ones
wouldnt the stock injectors suffice? im pretty sure ive read the stockers are good upto almost 200whp. so 150whp wouldnt be exactly maxxing them out.

OP do alot of RESEARCH because it'll deff help you more then hurt. you dont wanna rush your build then blow up your motor. there may not be someone with the exact setup your going with but im sure there are equivalents.

good luck

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

OP, I don't know all that much about crome, but I run eCtune, so I will assume the feature set is similar, most tuning programs have a lot in common.

With eCtune you can run native wideband, so you don't have to worry about your 02 sensors at all. Remove the downstream 4 wire narrowband and upstream 5 wire wideband. Hook up your new wideband and controller from whatever company you chose and hardwire it into your ECU. You may be able to figure out how to use the stock 5 wire wideband, but I already had a wideband and controller from my DSM so I used that.

You are also going to need to convert to OBD1, so search on that. You will need a conversion harness and an OBD1 ECU. Vtec-E kicks in at 2800 RPM I believe, so you will need to set that in Crome. Oh, and you will lose Honda's very sophisticated lean-burn mode, so your gas mileage is gonna go down. You can lean out your light-load AFR's to get some back, but I don't think you will match what Honda coded from the factory.

When you put the turbo on you are going to need a turbo downpipe obv, this is going to get rid of your catalytic converter. I'm not sure where you are from (it's not in your info), so this might be a problem for you, if you have to pass emissions. If you do, you are going to need to either use a saw and some ghetto rigging skills to mount your stock cat after your downpipe, or buy a different one and weld it up after the downpipe. If you don't have emissions, then you can just run no catalytic converter at all. That is what I am doing.

I would upgrade the exhaust all the way back if it is in your budget. Our exhaust is tiny and will be quite restrictive. If you can't afford it, then work with what ya got.

Ummmmm...That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

convert to obd1. Good luck tuning them hx, with the head design and all plus low rpm vtec.

dj211855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj211855 View Post
convert to obd1. Good luck tuning them hx, with the head design and all plus low rpm vtec.
You switch the vtec engagement to a lower rpm, and tune your AFR's. It's not voodoo, don't try to freak the guy out.

Tuning it is no different than tuning any other setup, unless you have the smarts of a chimp and want to just load a basemap and not actually tune your car. And if you are one of those people, take it to a pro and have them do it.

How about some constructive feedback?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextrebek View Post
You switch the vtec engagement to a lower rpm, and tune your AFR's. It's not voodoo, don't try to freak the guy out.

Tuning it is no different than tuning any other setup, unless you have the smarts of a chimp and want to just load a basemap and not actually tune your car. And if you are one of those people, take it to a pro and have them do it.

How about some constructive feedback?
WTF!!! Who the fuck is this racist ^^^ping hole^^^ calling me a chimp. Ideally, you don't judge someone you don't know. And Sir, Mr. Wisemen I tune my own car.

Get the fuck out here.

Don't let me catch you, I will put two in your head. Yeah!!! it's a threat

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
WTF!!! Who the fuck is this racist ^^^ping hole^^^ calling me a chimp. Ideally, you don't judge someone you don't know. And Sir, Mr. Wisemen I tune my own car.

Get the fuck out here.

Hahaha, what's a ping hole? And btw, when I say "you" I was referring to a theoretical "you" not you personally...

I'll put two in your butt.

Last edited by alextrebek; 02-16-2011 at 12:47 PM.
alextrebek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
I live in Detroit motherfucker, 48207, fucking 313. Come get me.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Can someone lock this? E-thugging at it's worst.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
I live in Detroit motherfucker, 48207, fucking 313. Come get me.
^^^Ping hole^^^Ass hOle^^)-(

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Hahaha, what's a ping hole? And btw, when I say "you" I was referring to a theoretical "you" not you personally...

I'll put two in your butt.
Don't let my brother catch you...

BUTT HURTSS.....LOL..

Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbocx View Post
Can someone lock this? E-thugging at it's worst.
E-thugging lol, I've never heard that before. It definitely is exactly what is going on though.

My E-gatt has 12 lasers for superior accuracy, and is .99 caliber! Pew pew! Two to the head!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

this is what pops in my mind when people refer to e-thugin

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in