Vitara piston cracks *pics inside* - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Exclamation Vitara piston cracks *pics inside*

Hi, fellas!

Wanted to share some pictures with you..
These are one summer driven YCP Vitara pistons. They are 75.5mm and were put in freshly bored and honed block. Car is running E85 and was about 330 hp flywheel and was tuned with Crome pro. Pistons were installed as always - arrow facing flywheel. Block was taken apart because of spun rod bearing (#3).

My buddy's Vitaras have the same cracks and as here they are all on the one side of pistons (intake manifold side)!

Take a look at those micro cracks and don't forget to check your used Vitaras.

All 4 pistons have these cracks!

You can check other pictures here ->
http://i56.tinypic.com/2565lis.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2zzjl1d.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2r77tb9.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2zs679t.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/15f2e5x.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/vqi9nt.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ldc85l.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/30rkxmb.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/14bn5np.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

AWW... shit.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

How high were you reving it?
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

hm i cant wait to check out the vitaras that came out of lowball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

damn dude that sucks ive got the same thing but ive only had the motor running 10min total hope mine stay together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00'civic Ex (D16z6 swap)
Vitara/Eagle
ARP studs
Rc 650s
walboro 255 lph
Skunk2 pro series intake mani
Chipped Ecu with P28 base map
Blox stainless 2.5
ACT 6 puck
Fat5s
ramhorn manifold
57 trim turbo
prosport gauges O/P, W/T, F/P Wideband
Tuned on crome
mcdonoughEk00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 J-tech86R  is accepted as part of the communityJ-tech86R  is accepted as part of the communityJ-tech86R  is accepted as part of the communityJ-tech86R  is accepted as part of the community
Send a message via AIM to J-tech86R Send a message via Yahoo to J-tech86R

Wow... scratch that idea... think ill play it save with better pistons. Damn I imagine what my stock pistons look like... smh

contact me for discount
J-tech86R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Crix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like Borat

WOW!!!
Sure am glad i didnt go that route, glad my zc didnt allow me to or else i would have...
Vitaras are officially sketchy!

Crix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Could it just be a bad batch? My buddy's old setup was running 300whp - 400whp for 3 years with 75% of it's running time at the track and it still ran strong. I'm thinking if all of the pistons were like that, then wouldn't his setup fail already. He ran 400whp+ at 28PSI with 9500rpm shifts. He eventually sold the motor, but I'm positive it's still running till today.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Vantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanatic.User View Post
Could it just be a bad batch? My buddy's old setup was running 300whp - 400whp for 3 years with 75% of it's running time at the track and it still ran strong. I'm thinking if all of the pistons were like that, then wouldn't his setup fail already. He ran 400whp+ at 28PSI with 9500rpm shifts. He eventually sold the motor, but I'm positive it's still running till today.
THIS
Vantec89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Hrmm... i was under the impression that vitara's are the way to go for our d series. This is no good. Does anyone else have this issue?

I noticed in this pic http://i52.tinypic.com/2r77tb9.jpg that there look like there is an impact mark just above the crack. Bad casting or was it damaged pre-install

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Last edited by CaliLegal; 02-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 rndmheroxx is learning the way of the Drndmheroxx is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

what was your P2W clearance?
rndmheroxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

So they're devoloping small cracks, but do they just stop there?
Or will they continue to crack (and then break)?
Would it be safe to continue running the pistons like that?
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 sdubfid is learning the way of the Dsdubfid is learning the way of the D

Hmm, all the cracks are in a corner/point. I wonder if this would have happened if that corner were radiused/chamfered.

Last edited by sdubfid; 02-15-2011 at 04:05 PM.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough

If the crack doesnt get any worse i believe theyd be ok to re-run them, but for the price of brand new ones most people would opt for a fresh start. Also where did you get these fj or p2p0, or even ebay?
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

What rods where you running?

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLegal View Post
Hrmm... i was under the impression that vitara's are the way to go for our d series. This is no good. Does anyone else have this issue?

I noticed in this pic http://i52.tinypic.com/2r77tb9.jpg that there look like there is an impact mark just above the crack. Bad casting or was it damaged pre-install
The is definitely an impact mark of some sort. You can tell by the deformation that occurs around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmheroxx View Post
what was your P2W clearance?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysweed View Post
So they're devoloping small cracks, but do they just stop there?
Or will they continue to crack (and then break)?
Would it be safe to continue running the pistons like that?
They are going to continue to crack. I wouldn't suggest using them after spotting a crack like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Hmm, all the cracks are in a corner/point. I wonder if this would have happened if that corner were radiused/chamfered.

Removing any sharp points on a highly stressed part is very important.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

doesnt matter where they came from because they are ALL YCPs.

there have been close to a handful of people have this problem, i'm pretty sure JFK had a set do this but they actually broke.

in my opinion its pre-ignition, slamming the piston before TDC. its awfully funny that everyone thats had this problem also had rod bearing problems (pre-ignition slams the top of the piston shocking the rod bearings)...

how many thousands of people run YCP vitaras without a problem?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 sales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Its more than likely a bad batch with all the hundreds if not thousands of people including myself that have run vitara's and not had them fail due to issues like this. it would seem to be isolated possibly. The pistons have propelled 9 sec cars and countless low 11 and 10 sec ones.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
doesnt matter where they came from because they are ALL YCPs.

there have been close to a handful of people have this problem, i'm pretty sure JFK had a set do this but they actually broke.

in my opinion its pre-ignition, slamming the piston before TDC. its awfully funny that everyone thats had this problem also had rod bearing problems (pre-ignition slams the top of the piston shocking the rod bearings)...

how many thousands of people run YCP vitaras without a problem?
I would agree. Combine that with loose piston to wall clearances, and you have a recipe for a piston getting rocked about a lot.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

That sucks!

But still doesn't shake my confidence in the Vitara's.

First I've heard of this.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/143401-vitara-piston-cracks-%2Apics-inside%2A.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-10-2013 07:46 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-10-2013 01:18 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-10-2013 12:05 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-08-2013 01:24 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-07-2013 08:52 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-06-2013 02:44 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-06-2013 02:17 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-06-2013 01:00 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-04-2013 09:48 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-04-2013 11:22 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-04-2013 07:32 AM