B-series turbo question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default B-series turbo question

i kno this is d-series i also have a b-series site forum but i think this site is more helpful...ok i have a b16 with a type r head.. stock bottom end and stock head and i was wondering the max boost i can run on the motor??i did some searching but really didnt find anything with a b16 with a type r head??and i was going to replace the head gasket because its leaking with arp head studs.. but not sure if a multi layed steel head will drop the compression too low??
built zc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 gsxkid will become famous soon enoughgsxkid will become famous soon enoughgsxkid will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

there is no set max boost number.you may want to keep the whp around 300 though.if you get a lil thicker head gasket that may make a little less compression.you probably have around 10:1 right now
gsxkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough

sorry this is D-series.org we cant help you.

lol but seriously theres no "max boost" secret formula here, the motor and internal parts are limited to horsepower not psi. The compression ratio may cause early detonation so high octane gas is a must of course but the tune may need to be richer than normal. There not really such a thing as to low of compression on a boosted setup but if you plan on running boost on an untuned motor then please politely gtfo, if you trying to just order a wastegate spring that allows you to run a turbo on a stock ecu then bye bye. get a correctly sized turbo that matchs your goals.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

On stock rods-pistons and bottom end with the compression you have its all in the tune. Some people may do 8lbs and have no problems others maybe have 14lbs its all in the tune. Keep it safe anything over 5psi will be fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i have a 50trim garret turbo,550cc injectors,hks bov.and a p28 on crome and of course the rest of the kit...but im looking for a reliable daily driver too tho so will 8lb be safe with a good tune??and will a b16 mls head gasket be safe with 8lb of boost??thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 DCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropesDCRX is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Max Boost is different for every motor, it would depend on the mods and turbo and your tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 CRX D16Z6
Daily Driven Vitara making [email protected]
Tuned by Kaizenspeed
DCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

so there isn't a safe boost level for a stock head and bottom end??and how anout the head gasket and arp studs?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Boricuanolgy is hot as a volcanoBoricuanolgy is hot as a volcano
Boricuanolgy is hot as a volcanoBoricuanolgy is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

From what i heard the b16 and the Type R head are almost equal, type r has a more agrasive camshaft and it has a slide port runners.

I will rather located an ls bottom end and install the b16 head (lsvtec) on it lowering compression to 9:1 which will be a lot less forgiving than a high compression engine. IS ALL IN THE TUNE.
I'm sure it has been done before with a b16 or a type R motor but as i heard many times before, most people don't turbocharge a type r engine because the high compression and it doesn't make sense to buy such an expensive engine to go turbo cause you gonna ended up replacing most parts anyway.

But like a mention before, IS ALL IN THE TUNING, it can be done is just isn't practical!!
Boricuanolgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Type-R = Ported B16 Head
Max Safe Power on B16 = ~300whp

You see people run more than 300whp and it holds up. But you also see people run less than 300whp and the kill ringlands. From the little b-series research I've done, I mostly see them blowing ringlands.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

i say its not a matter of boost. its a matter of how much can your stock rods hold and all depends on the TUNE!
d16turboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by built zc View Post
so there isn't a safe boost level for a stock head and bottom end??and how anout the head gasket and arp studs?
Dude boost doesnt mean shit, horsepower is what will break your motor not psi.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Ok I understand that! Im asking how much horsepower is safe on a b16 bottom end with a type r head?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to civicskata

300 max can be considered safe on a stock bottom end with a GOOD TUNE
civicskata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 sales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Boratsales@rcautoworks smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

replace the rod bolts those are a weak link if your tuner is good you will be fine with the higher compression and more than likely really like it. If you want to go ls vtec get a gsr block and put ls internals in it. But that is just more money spent. Run what you got and have some fun it should rip the streets up with the 50trim. You will run out of injector quickly with the 550's.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton6431 View Post
Dude boost doesnt mean @#!*% , horsepower is what will break your motor not psi.
I disagree with this, psi IS what breaks your motor...hp is the end result in different variables such as flow, compression, and combustion. the added pressure on the cylinder/ rods/ pistons is what tears shit up.

JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by built zc View Post
Ok I understand that! Im asking how much horsepower is safe on a b16 bottom end with a type r head?
Your head is not going to break from a little boost, so it doesnt matter what head youre running. Just look at what other people with b16's consider "safe". 300whp is mentioned many times. Run premium gas and the compression wont be a problem for a good tuner.

Function > Form

Last edited by steinar; 02-15-2011 at 07:55 AM.
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton6431 View Post
sorry this is D-series.org we cant help you.

lol but seriously theres no "max boost" secret formula here, the motor and internal parts are limited to horsepower not psi. The compression ratio may cause early detonation so high octane gas is a must of course but the tune may need to be richer than normal. There not really such a thing as to low of compression on a boosted setup but if you plan on running boost on an untuned motor then please politely gtfo, if you trying to just order a wastegate spring that allows you to run a turbo on a stock ecu then bye bye. get a correctly sized turbo that matchs your goals.
How in the hell does a wg spring "allow you to run a turbo on a stock ecu"? Please explain because either you don't know wtf you're talking about or can't articulate what you are trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMek View Post
I disagree with this, psi IS what breaks your motor...hp is the end result in different variables such as flow, compression, and combustion. the added pressure on the cylinder/ rods/ pistons is what tears shit up.
Uh no. HP breaks shit. I can bolt a turbo the size of a half dollar to my stock z6 and run say 20 psi and maybe only make 170 whp. If I bolted a gt35r to my shit and ran 20 psi I would most definitely break some shit.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
How in the hell does a wg spring "allow you to run a turbo on a stock ecu"? Please explain because either you don't know wtf you're talking about or can't articulate what you are trying to say.

Uh no. HP breaks shit. I can bolt a turbo the size of a half dollar to my stock z6 and run say 20 psi and maybe only make 170 whp. If I bolted a gt35r to my shit and ran 20 psi I would most definitely break some shit.
The OP acted like a certain amount of boost would be fine on his engine. So what i thought he was looking for would be for us to say something like 8 psi is safe, then he goes and buys an 8 psi spring, throws on the kit and figures its safe. Sorta like most people think that its fine to run 6 psi on a D16 with stock injectors and ECU, no matter what their car does they feel that 6 psi is safe since its not that much. Sorry its kinda hard to explain...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Oh I gotcha....sounded like you were saying something like if you ran a 5psi spring then you could run a stock ecu or some shit.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

lol no but thats exactly what i thought the OP was thinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in