Can I afford to boost my z6 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Projctr is learning the way of the DProjctr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Question Can I afford to boost my z6

I have done a shiz pile of research on what all it takes to boost a motor and it seems to be a pretty expensive project to undergo however I'm sure there are members on here who have done it for way less than I figured up. With builing my bottom end and head I'm already at 1200 dollars, not to mention all the turbo stuff (1100) and finaly the tune(200-500) so around 3000 for a reliable turbo build. Well I only have around 500 to play with so what would be my best upgrade for the money I have. I have always wanted a boosted car but not to the point where it blows up soon as I do boost it. Just looking for some more options that perhaps I've been overlooking. Not to much with my current set up. Stock z6 motor, tranny, RAI,Header,stock exhaust, b&m short throw, bout it.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If you only have 500 to play with youre not going to have a good turbo setup, theres just no way.

Start by getting bigger injectors and youre ECU chipped and tuned NA (itll be a good tune to start with when you get it tuned for boost).

Then when you do get some money, youll have a good start on the tuning, youll just have to get retuned for boost.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 gsxkid will become famous soon enoughgsxkid will become famous soon enoughgsxkid will become famous soon enough

I would build the block.with the first 500
gsxkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
If you only have 500 to play with youre not going to have a good turbo setup, theres just no way.

Start by getting bigger injectors and youre ECU chipped and tuned NA (itll be a good tune to start with when you get it tuned for boost).

Then when you do get some money, youll have a good start on the tuning, youll just have to get retuned for boost.
^^^^
This....

five hundred is good to add some small stuff that helps your performance overall. Are you looking to build a boosted OEM? if not then get your cam changed or ground what ever you like. Put in a different flywheel and clutch; Ive always liked adding the small stuff. If you like your tranny then just work on that, those options are pretty cheap. Get your self an aftermrkt semi clutch for a couple hundred.

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

new edelbrock mani coming soon.
ninjajp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 WORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WORPsol Send a message via Yahoo to WORPsol

Where have you been gettin your parts prices from?

I would say thats with your bottom end. Shop around for parts someone didnt use. I found a set of je pistons and eagle rods at 9.0:1 comp for 465 shipped. You could run those on a n'a build for a while as it only drops your comp .2. You could still drive around on that and not notice to much of a diff and would be ready for the turbo when you go that route.

Last edited by WORPsol; 02-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
WORPsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

If you want. I have an HF manifold with heat shield and adapter plate that I can let go for cheap =)
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Projctr is learning the way of the DProjctr is learning the way of the D

I think I will go with the chipped ecu to start with and full exhaust. As to where my prices were coming from FJs page. Ebay, Craigs list, some new some used. guess a flywheel and clutch would'nt hurt either so that's my 1st investment towards boost. thanx guys.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Good luck broham!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Crix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

With $500 i would throw a bottle on that hoe!!
50 dry shot, 75 wet shot is fairly reliable in a d-series. Best way to get parts cheap, is getting them used, just like buying a new car, once you drive it off the lot, its price drops drastically. I picked up an efi 50 shot dry kit w/ 10lb bottle, full throttle switch for $175 last year, turned around and sold it for $250.

If you want power now.... for cheap, get ya some nitrous, and a phearable.net chipped ecu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I built my d16z6 for boost. rods pistons studs and a clutch. then just wait and buy turbo parts here and there. fuel pump, injectors...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00'civic Ex (D16z6 swap)
Vitara/Eagle
ARP studs
Rc 650s
walboro 255 lph
Skunk2 pro series intake mani
Chipped Ecu with P28 base map
Blox stainless 2.5
ACT 6 puck
Fat5s
ramhorn manifold
57 trim turbo
prosport gauges O/P, W/T, F/P Wideband
Tuned on crome
mcdonoughEk00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Once you add in the price of refills nitrous is not cheap..... Save the money, it'll be the beginning of your turbo fund.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 qweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regularqweakers is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 56 reviews

you can do it for 500, just have to be creative.

better of buying all the supporting items first, save a good chuck of change and do all the big stuff at once
88 crx si y-49
93 ACURA INTEGRA LS
93 civic cx, poor mans type r, stroked, jrsc (coming soon)
qweakers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

you know its the little things that add up, like gauges, oil lines, hoses, connectors, wiring, hose clamps, bla bla bla. It adds up fast

Then you'll need to start upgrading things like the clutch and head studs if you run into problems.

When I was piecing together my turbo I spent like 6 or 7 months getting everything I'd need.
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

ive spent the past 3 years researching and collecting parts and i still havent boosted my car.
once you do boost your car your gonna want to improve the handling and braking. theres a lot more to boosting your car then just under the hood. thats just my $.02.
do lots of research and figure out what you really wanna do as far as power goals, what turbo is gonna be best for your goals
EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Cxm It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Cxm Send a message via AIM to Cxm Send a message via MSN to Cxm Send a message via Yahoo to Cxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG-MIKE View Post
ive spent the past 3 years researching and collecting parts and i still havent boosted my car.
once you do boost your car your gonna want to improve the handling and braking. theres a lot more to boosting your car then just under the hood. thats just my $.02.
do lots of research and figure out what you really wanna do as far as power goals, what turbo is gonna be best for your goals
this, build from the ground up, a strong steering/suspension/braking base is really what needs to be the first step to a safe and reliable sporty car.
Cxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

wow now I'm more lost than when I 1st started this idea. I do want more power, not crazy power but don't want to have to use 3rd gear to pull hills, or pass people. And my z6 is only getting like 21 mpg and I cannot figure out what is goin on. So I was just gonna fully rebuild for boost of course or swap a b series. Now it's not that simple, building from the ground up would definately be the way to go but I won't have a fun car to drive around for yrs if I go that route working 2 min wage jobs. I'm getting old almost 30 now and just want to have fun as well as reliability on a min wage budget. Prolly not possible but willing to try anyways. Chipped ECU is a definate and a must for boost so that's 1st and foremost. If I put a clutch and flywheel in it now I fear by boost time it'll need replaced. Pistons and rods would be nice, and wouldn't really change how it runs now. A turbo cam would prolly make it run like ass since it's made for boost and there will be none,correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Suspension I've got Skunk2 coilovers, blox camber kit, moog tie rod ends, nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Not sure how to exceed that other than name brand products so I think I'm good in that field. Not sure about the steering, how would I upgrade that. Bigger injectors Say 310s sine there plug and play and no box would be needed. How would that make the car run till it sees boost. Would that improve anything, or just cause horrible gas milage? Bigger fuel pump? wouldn't I have to drop the tank, never messed with that be4. And once again would it change anything till it sees boost or just guzzle gas? Would absolutely love to upgrade the tranny, lsd carbon synchros, the special gears but It's the only tranny I have and cannot be without the car for even a day. It's the only vehicle I have so it's gotta be something that I can do in a day and then drive again till next upgrade. I've gotten where I can do a complete d-series swap in 5 1/2 hours without a motor hoist although just because I'm poor not by choice lol. So I work pretty well and know my way around the motor for the most part. ECU chipped is gonna run me around 110-150 shipped, so I'm down to 350 already. That's pretty much clutch and flywheel combo or piston rod combo. OR full 2.5 exhaust 200. Then 150 for Cam prolly not that cheap. Still depating with the remaining 350. Keep the choices coming. How bout MSD ignition does that really do anything and would it help any when It's finaly boosted?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Default honestly.......

if you have to ask, then NO.

that is serious advice. i have never asked anyone if i could afford it, i just went for it. most people you see will not ask others if it will work, they just try. trying to accomplish a goal is a spice of life. so the choice is simple, do work or dont.

Last edited by 99EJ6T; 02-10-2011 at 11:26 PM.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

FJ Distributors get this and an a cx racing t3t4 kit and a nice log mani and some dsm injectors and chip ecu make enough power to get you by with a mild tune for a while until u get funds for a nice turbo and wastegate set up
180+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

^ to each there own

if it was me i wouldnt waste a penny on a kit to get me buy id put it all into building the motor.
Everyone is different on how they like to build.

Me I like to get my suspension & appeal down first. Then on the side build a engine & collect good deals on turbo parts when they pop up.

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egwhite View Post
^ to each there own

if it was me i wouldnt waste a penny on a kit to get me buy id put it all into building the motor.
Everyone is different on how they like to build.

Me I like to get my suspension & appeal down first. Then on the side build a engine & collect good deals on turbo parts when they pop up.
x2 thats what i do too. like i said i been collecting parts for 3 years now. i've gone threw 3 honda's in that time 2 eg 4 dr civics and a 93 del sol s all with D15B7's. i still kick myself in the ass for selling my del sol, that was ready for boost but i had to sell it at the time. and now i have almost everything to boost my car but i need to do alot of work to the little stuff. its an up hill battle if your trying to do it on a budget so be prepaired
EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in