JRSC intercooler - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 swich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default JRSC intercooler

Ok so this has been asked and discussed many times. but have ideas ever been shared? not from what i have found.

any way came across a guy in canada that re build his intake with some cooling cores in it. running a near on stock motor and making 224whp. from an m45.

my goal was 200whp and every one said it cant be done. but it has been.

so power goals aside. i have been planning on building an intercooler/aftercool type idea for some time now. my first thoughs where a sandwitch idea between the blower and intake manifold.

after a closer look at this custom built intake. i think im going to cut open the jrsc intake a put i core of sorts in there.

here is a few pic's of my plan.
ether flat along the botom or angled at the top. and do you think this core will flow enough air and do you think it will be able to get rid of the heat?

post your ideas or comment on what you have done or want to do.

ps. hater free zone please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by swich; 08-15-2011 at 02:02 AM.
swich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

interesting idea but i doubt he is making 224whp from dropping intake temps alone. you should look into water/meth injection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Get a g60 intercooler

Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

LHT Performance.

I really like the idea of a water/meh setup for the JRSC setup though.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by swich View Post
here is a few pic's of my plan.
ether flat along the botom or angled at the top. and do you think this corw will flow enought air and do you think it will be able to get rid of the heat?

post your ideas or comment on what you have done or want to do.

ps. hater free zone please.
Oil cooler? What are you planning on running through it? Cold water? I bet a evap core and running ac system would cool like a mofo in there. AC for your JRSC ftw

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Did the M45 kits come with the meth injection port in the back? I though that was on the B series kits. Or are you not even talking about that? lol
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

even if that works make sure it doesnt hinder flow more than it cools....
Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
Did the M45 kits come with the meth injection port in the back? I though that was on the B series kits. Or are you not even talking about that? lol
No the b kits did the d series did not. I would spray pre blower anyways. The Canadian you are talking about that does the intercooler quoted me a price over 1k.....lht is 895

daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Arcane is learning the way of the DArcane is learning the way of the D

Nice idea, I think it will work for you. RSX guys have developed similar drop-in coolers for their K series which have been very successful. Here's a picture.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I've always contemplated something like that but having to drill holes in to the intake manifold was what turned me away from that idea.

I wish there was a way to sandwich something like this between the manifold and the blower but there's no way the blower would clear the alternator.

The LHT thing isn't really practical at all. So expensive and it's a one-off thing for them so you have to ship in the blower, manifold, and S-tube. I don't like how the cores take up so much space in the manifold. Seems like it wold just add to the turbulence that's already in the manifold.

Good to see ideas like this set into motion. Most of the time they're only half-baked dreams that are never actually take form.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 swich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropes

ok so here are some pic's of this canadian's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
interesting idea but i doubt he is making 224whp from dropping intake temps alone. you should look into water/meth injection.
i think he is running a crower stage 2 cam. other wise its just lower intake temps. and 9psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
LHT Performance.

I really like the idea of a water/meh setup for the JRSC setup though.
yes i know about lht but im here in SA and im not shipping my intake off to have this done so need to make a plan to do it myself. water/meth is proven to work. but the kit are not cheap. i like trying new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
Oil cooler? What are you planning on running through it? Cold water? I bet a evap core and running ac system would cool like a mofo in there. AC for your JRSC ftw
that core is from a building AC system. i have thought about running freeon in the system but to make it work you need condenser and pump and the wieght/power gain is not worth it. so i scrapped that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
even if that works make sure it doesnt hinder flow more than it cools....
only one way to find out. but that is where i though having the cool flat might be a problem so having it at an angle might help with flow. but might not cool as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb91 View Post
No the b kits did the d series did not. I would spray pre blower anyways. The Canadian you are talking about that does the intercooler quoted me a price over 1k.....lht is 895
im not sure. those pic's are the one i saw and he say i can copy them but thats the only info i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Nice idea, I think it will work for you. RSX guys have developed similar drop-in coolers for their K series which have been very successful. Here's a picture.

yeah i have seen these, they work very well but the kit has a back plate as part of the design and to build some thing like that into our kits, might as well do what im trying to do or rebuild the intake from scratch like above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
I've always contemplated something like that but having to drill holes in to the intake manifold was what turned me away from that idea.

I wish there was a way to sandwich something like this between the manifold and the blower but there's no way the blower would clear the alternator.

The LHT thing isn't really practical at all. So expensive and it's a one-off thing for them so you have to ship in the blower, manifold, and S-tube. I don't like how the cores take up so much space in the manifold. Seems like it wold just add to the turbulence that's already in the manifold.

Good to see ideas like this set into motion. Most of the time they're only half-baked dreams that are never actually take form.
drill holes? how about cutting off the sides of the manifold and rebuilding them as water tanks?

as i said, the sandwitch thing was my first idea

never got around to checking spacing. but i think you right about the spacing.

LHT, i have only heard good things about this. and the proof is there, this does help and does work well. as you can see this canadian's intake uses the lht cores. and his power show that they working well for him.

well lets stick to intercooler/aftercooler ideas in this thread. S bends porting etc i have that other thread. https://www.d-series.org/forums/force...-eaton-ms.html

thanks for the support in this guys. sharing info and helping me with this.

swich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichillclimber View Post
I used to have a cobalt ss supercharged and on the forums zzperformance made somthing like that for them it was called the Chiller Killer or somthing alone those lines. it was to much money for such a little gain meth is the way to go.
91z6crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Damn sick as hell............
Teamgreenferio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Laminova.

/thread.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

The Canadian is certainly onto something.

Oh, yeah, and the cores are going for $50 a piece on eBay.
[Normally $200 a piece, new].

IIRC, the cobalts have a few (four?) Laminova's in their IM, stock.

Last edited by sxysweed; 02-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

Like I said that one IC Shane has they quoted me over 1k. I love their work and have look at lot of the pics but when LHT can give you the same thing for a couple hundred less and not have to worry about the extra shipping cost and customs BS I can't justify it. Too bad it's a nice piece just wish it was cheaper.

daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Arcane is learning the way of the DArcane is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb91 View Post
Like I said that one IC Shane has they quoted me over 1k. I love their work and have look at lot of the pics but when LHT can give you the same thing for a couple hundred less and not have to worry about the extra shipping cost and customs BS I can't justify it. Too bad it's a nice piece just wish it was cheaper.
Neither could I. That's why I put water/meth in my car. Now if this was an M62 or MP62 or R900 based kit, I would definitely plunk down the cash for a setup like Shane's or LHT.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

i would like to see some temps on these kind of set ups. i dont like the idea of running hot water through the cooler wonder if that custom intake has enough cooling surface to cool the water past the point of the intake charge temps to cool it at all, could get around it with a stand alone water pump system but then why not run meth inj and get the cooling and octane boost for reliability and possibly better power ban or just more power.
180+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
i would like to see some temps on these kind of set ups. i dont like the idea of running hot water through the cooler wonder if that custom intake has enough cooling surface to cool the water past the point of the intake charge temps to cool it at all, could get around it with a stand alone water pump system but then why not run meth inj and get the cooling and octane boost for reliability and possibly better power ban or just more power.
There is plenty of data out there to show the benefits of a properly intercooled supercharger setup. The only problem is you'll never see one on a D16 save for Shane's on Honda-Tech. You'll have to look at the ITR guys on Honda-Tech or the K20 guys on RSX club to see a proper apples/apples comparison.

But suffice it to say it IS worth it provided you have the dinero. I once said on here that 200hp was possible on our M45 kits and I got laughed out of the building, now Shane has done it using the same setup. The efficiency gains are staggering, way better than water/meth.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

ya i know the retail ones work well, but these DIY set ups dont look like they would be as efficient to me. would like to see if they work better then METH. i would like to see one with stand alone pump system and an extra external RAD tho.

Last edited by 180+; 02-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
180+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in