d16z6 low oil pressure when hot - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default d16z6 low oil pressure when hot

i have a d16z6 with eagles and vitaras(not turboed yet) with 1300 miles and i installed a glowshift electronic oil pressure gauge with a sandwhich plate and at idle on a cold start my oil pressure is around 55-60 psi but when it warms up th oil pressure goes to 5 psi and if i hit the gas and let off the gauge will read 0 for a quick second then it goes back to around 5 psi. my oil light hasn't ever came on but i think that my oil pressure is to low i was wondering if i should shim my oil pump oil try a thicker weight oil.
Adam00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Normal. Don't worry about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

^^^^

+2

Also, does the pressure build with revs. If so no worries as most gauges are not at all accurate at the limits of their scale.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 BoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Did you put new bearings in the motor when you rebuilt it? What bearings and what were your main and rod bearing clearances. How did you measure them? What oil are you using? Did you port the pump?
BoostedCouped16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Porting the pump or shimming the spring makes no difference re low oil pressure at idle when hot.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

I used new acl duraglide bearing. I plastigaged them and the specs where fine and im using penzoil 10w30 and the pump is stock untouched. Also as i rev it the oil pressure does go up.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the Dxkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Could be the oil gauge, my oil gauge needle failed on me and gave me the wrong readings, you might need a new oil pump, or if u use sealer to seal your oil pan gasket, ur oil pickup might be clogged. I have a d16z6, i ported it and now i get good ass oil pressure, my idle is 25 PSI.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

If you have 10# per 1000rpm or better there is nothing wrong with your oil pressure.

If the light is working but is not on your idle pressure is OK. The gauge is just inaccurate at that pressure. The gauge is probably OK once you get over 10 or 16psi.

Before you spend any money or time on it, hook up a second gauge to test the first gauge.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

oil light = 1 psi

glow shift gauge is junk, i would start here before anything else.

if pressure reads 50 psi @ 3k rpm, your fine.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post

My CRX along with Jose's hatch and Tommys car would read 35-40ish at 3k. Just saying

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

My Z6 build saw 90-100psi on a cold start with .002 max factory bearing clearances. At hot idle saw around 10psi. 10 psi per 1k rpms is a good rule of thumb.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
oil light = 1 psi

glow shift gauge is junk, i would start here before anything else.

This for piece of mind.
grumblemarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
My CRX along with Jose's hatch and Tommys car would read 35-40ish at 3k. Just saying

i have right around 40psi at 3k rpms when its fully warmed up.

also the pressure is different between using synthetic and reg oil.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Normally with a good synthetic, pressure difference between hot and cold is less than with mineral oil. That is one of the big advantages of synthetic oil.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

yeah.. the slicker the better.. right now im using some ams racing oil.. 5W30 fully synthetic.. has alot of zinc in it which should be good for the bearings

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
My Z6 build saw 90-100psi on a cold start with .002 max factory bearing clearances. At hot idle saw around 10psi. 10 psi per 1k rpms is a good rule of thumb.
Its also what the service manual says
10psi at idle is spec.

I'd bet your gauge like said before, is just inaccurate.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

What's your clearances? And when I ran my Autometer, I saw 100PSI at cold start and 15PSI when fully warmed and this was being boosted also and with 5w30.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

I dont remember the clearences but i think they where .002
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam00 View Post
I dont remember the clearences but i think they where .002
That's the max service limit, I would run a thicker oil like 10w40 or 5w40 and see if it improves. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. I ran my rods at .002 and they were fine. My main bearings were at .0015 I believe.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
yeah.. the slicker the better.. right now im using some ams racing oil.. 5W30 fully synthetic.. has alot of zinc in it which should be good for the bearings
ZDDP often simply called zinc is there to help high pressure areas that are iron or steel, like cam lobes and followers and valve stem tips and even the rings maybe. It has no influence on the metals that bearings are made of and is not necessary at the loads bearings run at.

Plenty of good clean oil flowing over them is what helps most with bearings.

0.002" is good for a high performance engine.

If you always have at least 10# per 1000 rpm you don't need thicker oil.

If you have over 20# per 1000 rpm when hot, you could gain from thinner oil or wider clearances, or a std size pump if an oversize one was fitted or by removing whatever is obstructing flow after the pump.

my CRX thread

my intro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in