JRSC Discovery! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Arcane is learning the way of the DArcane is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default JRSC Discovery!

...and its not necessarily a good one.

We got shafted; the hole is too small.

I was browsing CAPA, an Aussie site that still has relevant data on the 3rd gen Eaton blowers and I noticed something peculiar. If you look at the 3rd gen blowers (M45,M62,M90) you'll notice that the bigger the blower, the larger the discharge port. This is makes sense. If you follow the 4th gen numbers you'll see similar increases.

The interesting tidbit is when you compare the MP45 to the M45. The MP's discharge port issignificantly bigger compared to the 3rd gen M. So what does that have to do with anything? Now compare the MP45 to the M62.

Do you see it? At first I thought the two were identical, but as it turns out the MP45 has a slightly bigger discharge port than the older M62, its close but it's bigger! The two superchargers flow roughly within 50-75 cfm of each other! Therefore, M45 + M62 discharge port = MP45. M62+M90 DP=MP62 and so on.

Therefore, I can safely say looking at the published numbers the problem with our JRSC is not the size of the blower but rather the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Yes, and thats why the M45 sucks.

I still stand by that a roots blower is not nearly as bad as everyone thinks, as much of the negative experience comes from the awful JRSC kits that were so popular.
If they had at the time sold the kit with an MP62 you would see much more love for roots blowers and superchargers in general.
Better yet, if twin screws had become popular in the import world, you would probably see just as many people running them as turbos, and they would be just as fast (for the most part).
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

Is there supposed to be pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb91 View Post
Is there supposed to be pictures?
lol, no likee readin?

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

If someone ran one of the TVS style, I am sure the opinions would also change to significantly more favorable.

TVS Roots-Type Superchargers

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
lol, no likee readin?

Well he's asking do you see it? See what?

daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I wish it was that simple...to say M45 + M62 discharge port = MP45 is pretty far off.

The M62 and MP45 have longer cases and longer rotors.

Funny thing is that the MP45 flows almost identically to a M45 at hotter temps. Only real advantage is that it was designed to spin faster than the M45
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

One limitation to discharge port design and size is that no part of the rotor tip can uncover any part of the outlet until that tip has already has no part of the inlet port uncovered. The higher the helix angle on the rotor and the longer the rotor, the more restrictive it becomes, so take care when porting Eaton blowers.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer View Post
If someone ran one of the TVS style, I am sure the opinions would also change to significantly more favorable.

TVS Roots-Type Superchargers
Indeed. I was surprised when the zr1 was announced to have a roots until I learned of the improvements of the 4 lobe design over the old 2 lobe designs. The efficiency rivals a twin screw with less cost. Plus it's positive displacement
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

From what I hear, the TVS is used on some factory supercharged Jet Skis.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Ford guys don't shy away from blowers on 4 bangers.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Arcane is learning the way of the DArcane is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
I wish it was that simple...to say M45 + M62 discharge port = MP45 is pretty far off.

The M62 and MP45 have longer cases and longer rotors.

Funny thing is that the MP45 flows almost identically to a M45 at hotter temps. Only real advantage is that it was designed to spin faster than the M45
The MP45 case may be longer but it is narrower. I double checked the flow data and the MP outflows the M by 100 cfm nearly equaling the M62.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 29 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Like I said above, the MP45 graphs show data all the way up to 16000RPM where the M45 shows data up to 14000RPM.

Forget the last 2000RPM and compare the graphs from a M45 to a MP45 and you'll see that the flow characteristics are nearly identical and the MP45 actually gets a litter hotter than the M45.

The M62 flows the way it does because it has longer rotors, a larger outlet, and displaces more air per revolution.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

lol ford 2.3 ftw. my pops is building one of those now. Turbo though not supercharger.
crimjim99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in