First ever d build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default First ever d build

ok here is my first d build and i have a few plans on what i want to do to the car first ill give you my specs and then i would like some feed back to know if what i am doing is going to be ideal.

first is the motor its a d15b7 bottom end all stock with a z6 stock top end with i/h/e.

my plans:

the head
p&p
3 angle valve job
1 up over sized on intake valves
bisi valve train including cam 2.4
venom/sk2/obx/or golden eagle intake mani
70mm throttle body
hondata thermo gaskets
venom fuel rail and fpr
venom 660 cc injectors
pulse star plugs
nology hotwires
msd coil

block
bore over to 75.5 or possibly 76mm
cp 8.5:1 or 9.0:1 forged pistons
eagle h beam rods
kms block guard
polished and balanced crank
shimed oil pump for higher pressure
light weight crank pully
12lb light weight flywheel
stage 3 clutch
stage 2 axels

turbo
t3/t4 turbo on 19-25lbs
stainless ram horn style turbo mani
2 1/2-3" ehaust stright piped

all hoses will be with earls piping and all hardware will be arp
some of these things i am unsure on hince the - any possitve feed back will be apprecatied
cprtyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Joshk5145 is learning the way of the DJoshk5145 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Always cool to see somebody else from GA on the site. What kind of numbers are you looking to put down? For the most part looks like a good build list but maybe a few things you won't need depending on where you want to go with it? street or drag?
Joshk5145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 d16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regulard16devin is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

what trim turbo? stock sleeves? not @ 76mm with decent boost IMO
is this a daily driver or just a race whip?

if youre set on spending some $, which it seems you are, you might as well start with a nice resleeve so you can take advantage of the rest of those pricey parts.

ditch the blockguard
ditch the lightweight crank pulley, go oem...
msd coil might also be overkill unless you need a new one to begin with
d16devin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

power goals are 330-375hp, i will have a boost controller on board and as a dd be boosting around 12psi, the sleeves are stock and was going to atleast going 75.5mm and the turbo is 57 trim, .60/.63
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

im courious though why ditch the block guard and light weight pully
Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

block guards are known to fuck up the bores roundness if not installed correctly, they also dont allow the bores to expand/shrink when need which can cause exactly what there supposed to prevent which is cracking a cylinder, dont go over 75.5mm bore you need as much wall as you can and i shot for the 8.5:1 cr not the 9, aftermarket pulleys dont have harmonic dampners and can also be un balanced.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton6431 View Post
block guards are known to fuck up the bores roundness if not installed correctly
a BG will NEVER fuck up a bore when installed correctly.. cause the final step in installing one is to hone the cylinder. thus correcting any imperfections in the bore. send a bare block with good bores to the machine shop, then install a BG correctly, the block will then return with good bores.

Quote:
they also dont allow the bores to expand/shrink
depends on material....

Quote:
dont go over 75.5mm bore you need as much wall as you can
even with at stock mm the walls are thin.

for my last d build i was at 75.5 and 9:1 cr. when out of boost, it acted just like any other y7. in boost, it held a great curve and good power on low cfm (at pressure) numbers. imo, a 9:1 cr turbo build is perfect for the DD/track car. if it was just a track car, i would use a much lower cr and crank on the engine hard. as it was, i was very soft on my build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 99EJ6T; 02-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Ok I understand the block guard but the oem crank pulley doesnt seem to be dampend and as long as im balancing the bottom end I was going to balance the pulley.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Ok block guard good as long as done right, how much psi on your 9:1 build and what kind of power did you have
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Just one question, why go with a D15 when rods/forged parts are more expensive?

IIRC, D15 pulley's aren't dampened. D16 pulleys are for the most part dampened though.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

D15 pulleys are balanced though..... aftermarket pulleys are cut and sent out.

d15 rods net a better r/s

psi is "irrelevant", as you dont have my turbo.. flea bay 57 trim @ 18 psi laying 280 whp, very conservative tune.... no, i am not giving you my timing map numbers. so dont ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
a BG will NEVER fuck up a bore when installed correctly.. cause the final step in installing one is to hone the cylinder. thus correcting any imperfections in the bore. send a bare block with good bores to the machine shop, then install a BG correctly, the block will then return with good bores.

depends on material....

even with at stock mm the walls are thin.

for my last d build i was at 75.5 and 9:1 cr. when out of boost, it acted just like any other y7. in boost, it held a great curve and good power on low cfm (at pressure) numbers. imo, a 9:1 cr turbo build is perfect for the DD/track car. if it was just a track car, i would use a much lower cr and crank on the engine hard. as it was, i was very soft on my build.
you always hate on what i say, everyone knows engines knows a block guard should be align honed when installed. Stock walls are thin so might as well leave as much as possible, my build is shooting for a 350hp 8.5:1 with 75mm dailly driver, gona experiment with meth injection as well. The build depends on the person.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
you always hate on what i say, everyone knows engines knows a block guard should be align honed when installed.
additional info and hating are two different things. but in this case, i was only further explaining. which given the OPs current level of knowledge, is warranted.... and no, not every one knows that. why? cause people keep hating on them. i used several from GE and none of them have failed me or the people that purchased my old build engines.

Quote:
Stock walls are thin so might as well leave as much as possible
i agreed and noted that even stock the walls are thin. again, no hate, just a comment.

OFF TOPIC:
Quote:
you always hate on what i say
try not to think everyone is after you. though, i know where your comment actually came from... and i was correct in correcting you in that thread. your example was poor and gives insight into your LACK of experiance and knowledge on that subject. if you have an issue with what was said by myself or others, a PM or profile comment will suffice.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i always used block guards with no problems ...
built zc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

You should most definitely not use a lightweight pulley for a few reasons, but the most important is that it can actually cause damage to your engine.

There is a really big article written on it somewhere, I just can't seem to find it at the moment, so I'll give you the short version.

Those lightweight pulleys are solid and they offer no dampening. Your stock one does, and you can see the dampening material on the pulley if you look at it.

There are extremely high forces caused by mechanical resonance and other complicated things that are happening in your engine, and that material helps absorb them and protect your crankshaft.

Some people run them with no problem. Some people break crankshafts. It may be less common in the D community, but it happens with DSM's, Ford's, Chevy's, etc.

So basically, don't waste your money on something that would not only give you very little benefit, but could also result in catastrophic failure.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

Also, I don't have first hand experience, but I have heard a lot of bad things about venom injectors. Like they come from the factory and don't flow what they are supposed to.

Do some searches. I think this happened to Danz?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I personally would stay stock bore and 9:1. My build is underway right now and I am running a block guard as well. Only thing you have to remember is if it is done right, it will work and do its job. Also, if you can, I would go d16 bottom end. So much cheape rin the long run and that leaves money for you to do something else worth while. The r/s ratio difference from d15 to d16 isn't worth spending the extra money imo.
vegeta_man111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Save/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagle

Lightweight crank pulley = failusmaximus.
Build me a sandwich.
But if we are talking about motors then listen to these other guys
91 Cubic Inches of Muscle!
Save/Sohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Eagle does not make usdm d15 rods...you do have a couple choices either wait for fj to get done, wait for rc to get more from the guy in hunngry or spend 800+ on a set of pauder or crower.... other option would be sourcing out a jdm d15b crank and you can run either fj cust d15b ibeams or any d16 rod

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextrebek View Post
You should most definitely not use a lightweight pulley for a few reasons, but the most important is that it can actually cause damage to your engine.

There is a really big article written on it somewhere, I just can't seem to find it at the moment, so I'll give you the short version.

Those lightweight pulleys are solid and they offer no dampening. Your stock one does, and you can see the dampening material on the pulley if you look at it.

There are extremely high forces caused by mechanical resonance and other complicated things that are happening in your engine, and that material helps absorb them and protect your crankshaft.

Some people run them with no problem. Some people break crankshafts. It may be less common in the D community, but it happens with DSM's, Ford's, Chevy's, etc.

So basically, don't waste your money on something that would not only give you very little benefit, but could also result in catastrophic failure.
D15 does not have a harmonic balancer. It's just a steel pulley so, the light weight pulley is fine. The d16 has the harmonic balancer.

2014 Fiesta ST

90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in