My d16z6 Vitara build, need some advice/ rod knock?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the Dxkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Smile

My D16Z6 Build, shooting for 400hp. Had it all built by bill from apex.

Very healthy motor, Using Mobil synthetic.

Head- BRAND NEW OEM HONDA GASKETS
Ported and polished
Supertech Valve Springs and Retainers
Gasket matched
5 angle valve job
Bisimoto Stage 3 Camshaft N/a
Bisimoto Cam gear
Skunk 2 Pro Series intake manifold
B16 Throttle body
Brand new ARP headstuds

Bottom End-
Ycp Vitara Pistons, 8:5:1 Low compression
Tuner Toyz h Beam Rods
Golden eagle block guard
Ported z6 Pump, idle is 25 psi, (good oil pressure )
Tapped oil pan
Innovative 75a Motor mounts, very stiff
Acl rod and main bearings
ac and ps deleted

Trans-
S40 ex trans
3800 Miles on Xtd stage 3 clutch
7lbs flywheel
5 Speed Manual
Short shifter

I already bought a precision sc44 60 trim turbo. i am looking to get 350-400 hp.

I broke in the motor with 3800 miles on it, but everytime i step on the gas and let go, it sounds like theirs a rod knock? or maybe it could just be a gasket to my exhaust? maybe a exhaust leak? the oil pressure is really good.....but im not sure...?

What is the cheapest turbo good turbo manifold out there that i could get??

Last edited by xkrazyxjbrkerx75; 09-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

Rod knock shows up under load, not under decel. Unless it's really bad and it's doing it 100% of the time.

Cheapest good mani and turbo is an ebay cast manifold, and a genuine garrett T3/T4. Should be 700 bucks in total.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

If you've ever heard a rod knock it's damn near impossible IMO to mistake it for anything else.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 xkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the Dxkrazyxjbrkerx75 is learning the way of the D

I've heard a rod knock before on my buddys car, he was the one who told me that it sounds like one when I was coming up his street, but then again at idle, it doesn't sound like a rod knock at all... My oil pressure at idle is 25 psi, I ported
the oil pump
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 iFanatic.User is learning the way of the DiFanatic.User is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Are you using the regular 75mm ones? If so that's probably piston slap. Get use to it because it's going to be louder when the weather gets colder.
2000 Civic Coupe - Stock y8 - Daily

My For Sale Thread:

iFanatic.User is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

My gsr never knocked at idle. Matter of fact it was so damn quiet you could hear the injectors. It damn sure knocked under load though.

Fuck shitty machine work.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanatic.User View Post
Are you using the regular 75mm ones? If so that's probably piston slap. Get use to it because it's going to be louder when the weather gets colder.
yes i am using a 75mm, but when im driving, it sounds like its coming under from where the oil pan is.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
My gsr never knocked at idle. Matter of fact it was so damn quiet you could hear the injectors. It damn sure knocked under load though.

Fuck shitty machine work.
idk man... i dont think it is a knock, but i was just asking because if it was a knock it would be a lot louder right?>
Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

make a vid?
D16EG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16EG8 View Post
make a vid?
lol ill have to see.. where i live its cold out and theirs atleast 2 feet of snow covered my car..
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

its prolly the vitara's

pretty much every vitara build i've seen has a wierd rattle/knock sound almost like the pistons are hitting the valves.

if it sounds like this i believe its just the vitara's it seems like they all do it....
YouTube - Vitara D16 idle, rev, and a short rip.
EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

That car looks familiar.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG-MIKE View Post
its prolly the vitara's

pretty much every vitara build i've seen has a wierd rattle/knock sound almost like the pistons are hitting the valves.

if it sounds like this i believe its just the vitara's it seems like they all do it....
YouTube - Vitara D16 idle, rev, and a short rip.
yes my car does sound like that at idle, but im talking about the sound of it when im pressing on the gas and letting it go
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
That car looks familiar.
what u mean
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If it is rod knock...it will be loudest on decel.
GT2860RS_Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2860RS_Z6 View Post
If it is rod knock...it will be loudest on decel.
i only hear it when im driving, its only when i press the gas all the way down and let go..
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

the best way to check it man is have somone with u to check where the noise is coming from when driving
built zc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by built zc View Post
the best way to check it man is have somone with u to check where the noise is coming from when driving
best i could do is just hearing it from where my shifter is, me and my friend would have our heads out of the car but it would be hard to hear
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Fixed problem, I called the machine and he said it would be a piston slap due to the vitara pistons. I also looked under the car and 2 of the bolts that hold my exhaust together came loose due to the solid motor mounts I have. I have changed the gasket and drove the car today and no more noise!!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in