Spark plug boot keeps popping off...cracked head?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Spark plug boot keeps popping off...cracked head??

Evening DSO...yet another issue with my mildly boosted z6. I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my water pump going out, and I think this is related. I searched HT and DSO as well as google, and all I found was some Mustang and Subaru stuff. Hopefully someone else has heard of this.

D16z6, stock internals, 6psi .42/.48 turbo, made 165 when it was tuned 8 months ago.

After replacing my water pump due to recurring cooling issues, I found I was still loosing a small amount of coolant, but the car was running fine and at temp. About a week went by and all of a sudden my car would randomly sputter and run like shit, and if it sat for a while, would run ok again. Called my shop, they said check your plugs replace them, see if it helps, then move to wires, then distributor, etc.etc. The day before I went to get new plugs,, I was on the Interstate, when the temp started climbing. Pulled over, engine was super hot, let it sit and cool for 15 minutes, then added water, and saw a hole in the bottom of the upper radiator hose. Filled it up, limped it about a mile, then had someone bring me a new hose. Fixed it, the car ran fine, no sputtering episodes at all.

The next day, I went and got a set of plugs, BKR7E, gapped to .32. Replaced #1 Came out fine. #2 Came out fine. #3 Seized as shit. #4. Came out fine.

Tried all of the tricks, let it warm up, PB Blaster, let sit, tap once, etc. It eventually got it to move just a hair, then it stopped dead. Since its my DD, I didn't strain it too hard...If it breaks, I'm F'd in the A as far as getting to work goes. This evening, I went to my shop to let them look at it. Same tricks, same results. My car had been running funny on the way to the shop, and when we popped the hood, my #3 spark plug boot was popped out. I figured I forgot to press it in when I looked at it last, but when I left, it popped out within half a mile. Car runs ok above 3K, but under load before 3k, it sputters like a bitch.

I think my head is cracked at the #3 spark plug hole, causing the plug to seize and letting pressure by, popping off the boot. My only hope is that I didn't type this long ass explanation for somebody to say "Sorry buddy...You're exactly right." Thanks in advance for the help everybody.
ruskinTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

probably just combustion pressure escaping because the plug isnt fully seated.

you need to get the plug out and fix the threads, make sure you have some down time incase you end up needing to replace the head or send it to the machine shop.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

def need to get the plug out but be prepared for the worst so your not suprised.
how tight do you put the plugs in? this could of been from over tightening them on accident.
hope you get it out and theres no real problem.
but you wont find out until you get it out
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Remove the plug with a breaker bar. Chase the threads with a spark plug chaser. Install new plug. GL!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the replies everybody. Here's the plan as of this morning...found a disassembled z6 locally here in Tampa (For 100 bucks!) that I'm going to pick up today. Head is going to go to straight to the machine shop to get cleaned, pressure tested and milled. Then I'm going to get a breaker bar and try to get the plug out safely. If it comes out, sweet tits. If not, I'll have a head to slap on so the DD stays on the road. I'll post up pics of the stuff I get today, hopefully DSO can tell me if I got a good deal!
ruskinTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Use anti-seize on that head if you get that plug out.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in